PDA

View Full Version : Why do you LOSE power when running no intake....

AccordEpicenter
06-07-2003, 05:57 PM
Ive been trying to figure this out for a while now, why do you lose hp and Tq when you remove the air filter or run an open TB? Does the engine lean out or what happens? I tried it and my car is slow as ass with no filter...

Morpheus
06-07-2003, 06:24 PM
Sucking dirty air?

Morpheus
06-07-2003, 06:24 PM
Sucking dirty air?

AZmike
06-07-2003, 07:19 PM
I'd guess it has to do with sucking up all the hot (less dense) air that has just run around the engine.

Mike's89AccordLX
06-07-2003, 07:40 PM
Well I was under the impression that it will give you more power if the air has a chance to straighten out a bit before it gets sucked into the engine. So that could be why.

Jareds 89 LX-i
06-07-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
Well I was under the impression that it will give you more power if the air has a chance to straighten out a bit before it gets sucked into the engine. So that could be why.
That's like what I was thinking...... velocity. However I think it could also be a case of too much air, not enough fuel and/or exhaust not large enough to handle the extra air. Or restrictions in the cylinder head/valving causing everything to 'block up' and flow slower. Just a few thoughts....

Mike's89AccordLX
06-07-2003, 08:49 PM
OMG I was correct!!!! I guess I have just learned from the board and now I'm somewhat wise enough to give good advice.

crwa
06-07-2003, 09:37 PM
I wouldn't run like that for to long, cause your risking sucking something into you intake manifold and messin up some stuff...

A20A1
06-07-2003, 09:46 PM
Yup mikey.... less turbulece is good. :D

Techno
06-07-2003, 10:00 PM
AccordEpicenter,

I have the answer for you. The answer is none of the above. Your enging is Fuel injected and as a rule, a EFI engine requires a measure of how much air is being drawn into the intake and the computer then measures the fuel so that you get a clean burn. The computer on the car controls everything including the advance (or the retardating) of the ignition system as well. The computer is designed with the air restriction taken into account with the air filter in place. Also the Mass airflow sensor must have the correct airflow across it to match the RPM's that you are pushing your car. All the computer stuff is the whole reason that I chose the Carb version that I have with my 89 LX. Besides, I feel that power I get out of a Carb'd engine is more rewarding than a EFI anyway

Techno

Mike's89AccordLX
06-07-2003, 10:01 PM
I'm so happy I'm helping more and more people now. And it has been mainly from you Mike. And others too but I didn't ever pm those others as much as Mike :)

K DASH
06-08-2003, 06:06 PM
You'd think so with over 4 thousand posts.

AccordEpicenter
06-09-2003, 05:46 AM
Yea i think the engine is leaning out a little bit, i think thats the major reason why im losing power. It lost soo much torque and its gotta be because of the change in velocity.

3G Jester
06-09-2003, 06:34 AM
you ass put the filter back in!! that shit aint good for the car...

I would deffinatly agree with everyone else though. If the air isnt comming in a straight direct flow then its just a chaotic mass of particles that have to flow or stream and it doesnt flow efficently. but if you have it all straightened out...it doesnt matter how much air is going in. As long as the flow is good and your mix is set right then you get super power gains. This shows up in Honda Tuner every now and then----
instead of running lots of nos or whatever...they rely mainly on intake. The more air you get and the quicker you get it in...the bigger the bang.

Justin86
06-10-2003, 09:32 AM
Well shit I should put on my CAI and my hood back on. I have finished my EFI swap and I noticed a huge difference in power with out my CAI. I can't wait to put it on and then see then difference. Oh yea my hood is off because I'm preping it for a new paint job.

AccordEpicenter
06-10-2003, 01:37 PM
Ok i tried making the filter housing run without the back on and just the filter in place and it sounds sweet but the top end seems not very much better and the torque is all gone. Anyways, I made it run richer and it ran ok but not good enough, im going back to stock. I also tried retarded timing to get rid of the ping...