PDA

View Full Version : PGM-Carb?

HondaBoy
06-08-2003, 10:23 AM
ok, i know about the PGM-FI that comes in most fuel injected hondas. but i was reading something about our carbed engine was electronically programed too. if thats true, could a fouled computer mess up how it works? if that could be it, would it be good to get another computer or reprogram it? just wondering.

3rdGenFanatic
06-08-2003, 12:06 PM
Certain aspects of the car are in fact computer controlled, but the carb itself is under the control of those five million vaccum lines.

POS carb
06-12-2003, 04:51 PM
there is 1 ecu connection that causes problems though, the slow mix solenoid is triggered by the "ecu" under the seat, without it the car won't idle, you can rig a mechanical switch to it I'm sure, a switch that closes when the throttle is released.

accordlxi2.0
07-04-2003, 07:22 PM
those million line's are controlled by the ecu, i learned the hard way

Justin86
07-04-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by accordlxi2.0
those million line's are controlled by the ecu, i learned the hard way
Dude you know there is a how to on removing the carb vacum lines. Just don't rip them off and call it good.

HondaBoy
07-05-2003, 12:22 PM
hmm, well i know yesterday when i was fixing a few lines on the carb it was kinda wierd. i had to take the air cleaner off and like 4 vacuum lines off and it idled at 3000rpm with those off. after i fixed a few vac lines that were cracked or torn, it idles regular and not so erratic. now it needs cap, rotor, belts, valve tune up, and timming reset as well as the carb tweaked. i need to get a weber too when i get a chance. that would add some nice power.

A20A1
07-05-2003, 03:53 PM
the idle raises when there is a drop in manifold vacuum cause the idle diaphragm on the left side of the carb has a spring that puts constant tension between the idle screw and the throttle. With vacuum to the diaphragm, the idle screw is pulled away from the throttle, and the idle drops.

accordlxi2.0
07-14-2003, 08:43 PM
you know i also wanted to know .
how 'bout when the engine is cold it idle's at 2k-3k.
and it does'nt go down till you push the gas why is that and is'nt it bad 4 the engine to rev between that when it's cold?

HondaBoy
07-14-2003, 10:32 PM
revving that high can be pretty bad for a cold engine. its cuz your seals and gaskets arent expanded or some shit like that. ive got my cold start idle at 2000rpm. also another good thing just like doing the low rpms for warming up, let your engine sit and idle when your going to turn it off. ive found out it runs better after ive been doing this. i usually let it run for 30 seconds or more if its fan is on until it goes off. works for me.

BITESIZE
07-14-2003, 10:41 PM
I will never buy a carb guys after hearing how shitty of problems everybody is having.

A20A1
07-15-2003, 01:31 AM
no, the 2000 rpm fast idle is a part of the cold start process... if it wasn't there the car pretty much wouldn't idle when cold. The Intake Manifold, Air, and Fuel need to be warm enough, so the fuel will not just drop and puddle in the intake.
Once the engine and coolant warms up the car should idle normally.

sometimes you can manually release the fast idle by pushing the gas... but sometimes pushing the gas will only raise the fast idle even more :(
POS CARBS more of the expert in choke and fast idle.

POS carb
07-15-2003, 07:10 AM
yea there''s a little screw on the back of the throttle bracet that you can actually adjust from 0-like 4000 RPMS for the fast idle

accordlxi2.0
07-16-2003, 06:50 AM
okay but should'nt idle down once it warm's up.
'cause my g/f car's does this i went out there and the engine was warmed it was still at 3k rpms

Justin86
07-18-2003, 12:12 PM
There is an idle control screw on the TB. Start the engine and play around with it until you get it right.

NXRacer
07-18-2003, 01:30 PM
speaking of a million vacuum lines. My friend had 2 older accords, one with a bad engine/good carb and one that was visa versa. We tried swapping carbs and i finally gave up trying to read the schematic trying to figure out where all the damn vac lines went. I heard later they got all tweaked out and grilled on the damn thing for like 8 hours and finally got it running. I guess crack is good for something.......... :D

87accordlxph
07-19-2003, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by BITESIZE
I will never buy a carb guys after hearing how shitty of problems everybody is having.

Carbs aren't really shitty. They need to be rebuilt and cleaned.
Cleaning with carb cleaner is the key! ,proper tunning and taking good care of the vaccume hoses.
Cars with carbs are easier to fix than a fuel injected model is, (if you didn't know where the ecu was, like when I first bought my car).
I do like my carb, never really had problems with it. If it did, carb cleaner solves the prob with a sticky choke. That's pretty much a typ. problem with a carb.
If I did had a choice between a carb and PGM-FI I would go for the PGM-FI now that I know where the ecu is and how to determine if there's a problem or not.
You also get 20 more horses out of a PGM-FI model.
I live in a city where I have to get an E-test every 2 years, to get 20 more horses out of the carb then I would fail emissions big time where as the PGM-FI I wouldn't have to do all that work and pass the e-test w/ flying colours and get 20 more ponnies!

Oh oh I started a Carb vs PGM-FI debate! :lol

-Mike from Sarnia!

accordlxi2.0
07-19-2003, 08:12 AM
how can u tell if the ecu is bad?

Justin86
07-19-2003, 09:54 AM
The stock carb isn't that good. It is better to get a webber or EFI.

87accordlxph
07-19-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by accordlxi2.0
how can u tell if the ecu is bad?

If the ecu is dead then when you pull the driver's seat forward and see the box underneath and open the small tab from behind it (when your in the "ON" position in the ignition switch) that one led would not flash indicating a code of "0" which means the ECU is faulty.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's a link for ya to read and go on out there to see if ya have any blinks from the 88 or 89 accord ecu that you have
http://www.geocities.com/honda_club_egypt/ecu.htm

-Mike from Sarnia!

accordlxi2.0
07-19-2003, 12:07 PM
oh my bad man i meant the ecu for dx/lx accords?

Justin86
07-19-2003, 09:37 PM
When there are no blinks that means there is nothing wrong. Also if you are throwing a code the PGM-FI light will be on.

accordlxi2.0
07-22-2003, 06:22 AM
i know 'bout mine's but what about the carb ecu.
what would be a sign of the ecu going bad.

Justin86
07-22-2003, 09:32 AM
I don't have a clue. sorry You just might want to get another one and see if there is a difference.

Darkside
07-22-2003, 09:50 AM
If you have a carbed car your computer is telling the fuel pump to pump fuel. That is what it does. If your fuel pump isn't working then your computer might be bad seems unlikley thou.

accordlxi2.0
07-23-2003, 03:24 PM
that's it i know these things are capable of doing more than just that!

Justin86
07-25-2003, 10:39 AM
There is some other small stuff that it does but not a lot likt the EFI ECU does.

accordlxi2.0
07-26-2003, 02:45 PM
but noone know's how a bad carb. ecu is or how it function's?

accordlxi2.0
07-26-2003, 04:59 PM
:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Justin86
07-27-2003, 04:40 PM
Do you have a repair manual. They usally will tell you how to test stuff like that. I will look in mine and see what it says.

accordlxi2.0
07-28-2003, 11:13 AM
i have a chiltion's which was a bad mistake getting 'cause the info is'nt as right as some other's are.

Justin86
07-28-2003, 03:27 PM
Well I'm trying to find a way to test it. For carb cars it is the Solenoid Valve Control Unit. I have the origional manual so it is a little different from th Chiliton's. Mine cost around $100 but it came with the car when I bought it. The Haynes is suppose to be the 2nd best and a lot lighter.
You want to look at the emmisions section in the book for the carb ECU stuff. It is hooked up to about 24 different things. I would like to sacn a pic of it but I don't have one of corse, sorry. There is a testing section in there too that can be helpful.
Look for this section and tell me if you need more info on it. If I had a scaner I could load up all the pics and save you the time, but my parents are too damn lazy to bust out the $100 to get one.

accordlxi2.0
07-29-2003, 07:10 AM
sorry i don't have a haynes
i guess anything is better than chilton's since i got for $1 at my job.
i'll take a look at the haynes though.
thanx.

Justin86
07-29-2003, 09:26 AM
As long as it has this description on the SVCU. That is all you should need.

accordlxi2.0
07-30-2003, 12:01 PM
it does'nt state nothing but the computer controls the carb. & transmission action's
does'nt say how to remove it it does'nt even have all of the wiring diagram's.
i probly messed up my car too!
useing the book.

accordlxi2.0
08-01-2003, 07:24 AM
:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: