PDA

View Full Version : I have trouble acclerating, smoking in the morning, etc.

gscream
06-08-2003, 04:36 PM
:wtf: okay this is the problem--> Whenever I start to accelerate and I get around 60-75 mph my car begins jerking and acting like it wants to shut off. It's a real problem on the interstate! I accelerate really slow because if I do it fast, the car jerks. It feels like my 1987 honda accord DX is losing power or something. Also when I have the window down I can hear a slight popping sound from the muffler. Also in the morning I have to pump the gas before I cut it on or else it will not come on. When it comes on, it'll stay on for about 10-20 seconds and shut off. Then I have to restart it and when I do, gray(blue-ish) smoke come out the back. It only comes out when I leave the car sitting for more than 3 1/2 hours.

this is what I did to solve the problem but it didn't work!!-->

1. change the spark plugs
2. change the spark plug wires
3. gas treatment
4. oil treatment
5. smoke treatment
6. carb. treatment
7. new distributor cap
8. turned the bolts on the throttle cable

I need help bacd because I'll be starting school soon and I have to get on the interstate. I hate having cars blow at me. Oh yeah, I read somewhere that it could have something to do with the accelerator pump. I do I get to that?

DanG86LX
06-08-2003, 08:28 PM
Look like more than one problem. Check ur fuel pump flow and pressure 1st. Should be like 25oz or a bottle of wine. Dont see fuel filters on ur done list!

shepherd79
06-09-2003, 03:07 AM
change both of your fuel filters. if that doesn't help, check your fuel pump.
try cleaning the carb with carb cleaner.
lound poping sound can be caused by bad distributor ignitor. i recomend just get on of the junk yard car. you should try locating Tech distributor (it has flat area on one side) and not Hitachi it is round all the way).
the smoke problem can be caused due to break down of two parts, valve guides and/or valve seals.
symptoms of bad valve seals: you should see blue smoke all the time. it is very easy to fix.
Symproms of worn out valve guides: in the morning or when ever your enigne is cold you will see blue smoke, it will stop smoking when the engine warms up. it is very expensive job repair.
it is hard to tell what kind problem you have with smoking.

King_Geez
06-09-2003, 03:22 AM
Hey Whats up people???

I am new to Honda i have owned my 1988 Accord for 1 week now and love it other than my car smokes when i start it up and revs really high it is carburated, So i know that it needs to warm up with the choke but as soon as it kick off high idol the smooking stops.
Got any answer's for the first timer Honda King?
Peace Dan

gscream
06-09-2003, 06:00 AM
When I first turn it on it'll smoke for a while and then as it warms up it'll stop. I don't know what the problem is though.

shepherd79
06-09-2003, 09:43 AM
gscream, your smoking problem is caused by worn out valve guides. you will have to take the cylinder head to the shop for replacement. Sometimes it can get a little expensive.

gscream
06-09-2003, 11:56 AM
I also forgot to mention one more thing about my car. It kinda does this, what I consider, "over-heating" type thing. There is slight smoke or steam coming from around and behind the front tires when I park the car. Also my brake pedal goes to the floor all of a sudden. If I pump the brakes it'll stop. When I try to drive it like this, the steering wheel and the dash board trembles when I speed up. I let it sit for a while and everything goes back to normal. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?!!

Also, I tried carb. cleaner for my other problem that I have above. I'm going to see if I can figure out how to change my fuel filter myself on my 87 Accord.

gscream
06-09-2003, 04:45 PM
Okay....now I've cleaned the carb with some cleaner and changed the fuel filter under the hood and my car still jerks back and forth when I get up to around 60-65 mph. It'll really do it when ever it takes more power to move my car...like if I'm going fast on the interstate or up a hill when I'm trying to accelerate.

shepherd79
06-09-2003, 06:36 PM
check your belts. make sure they don't lock up. that can cause some smoke around the tires.
let it idle till the fans come one ones or twice.

what do you have 5 speed or Auto?

DanG86LX
06-09-2003, 07:13 PM
gscream>>> ... and changed the fuel filter under the hood

Forget that useless under hood filter, change the other one by the gas tank, remove rear wheel.
Check ur fuel pump, like in Haynes. If that's ok, u may farther look at ur carb secondary..

A20A1
06-10-2003, 03:53 AM
I just skimmed thru but did anyone mention the Booster venturi, possible being loose?

CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT BOOSTER VENTURI (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8972)