PDA

View Full Version : C.V joint boot !

ACCORD EX
06-09-2003, 01:52 AM
sorry guys for making another thread ! but i need to do my boot this friday ! i have a carb car 5 spd manual and i am doing my driver's side axle ( the long one )
i was looking at it today ! and i was wonder how would the new boot pass the whole axle to get the outer joint ! it's so fat in the middle ! has anybody did that !?

this what i did in my other axle > get the shaft out > get teh inner joint out , slide both boots get the boots on !
i am kinda scared to diassemble the outer joint , the service manual didn't mention a thing about that !

thanx a lot !

MIKE

cruznz
06-09-2003, 04:09 AM
I think the simple answer Mike is,...you can't.
You need to knock the outer C.V off to change the boot

ACCORD EX
06-09-2003, 04:49 AM
did anybody actually try that !!??
how would i assemble it !! will it hold ??

MIKE

shepherd79
06-09-2003, 05:22 AM
well, according to haynes manual, you will have to remove the axel. Remove the inner joint and after that you should be able to remove the outter boot.
good luck on that man.
check paul's manual for more info.

ACCORD EX
06-09-2003, 05:31 AM
i checked all that ! but i am still not sure if teh boot will pass through the middle ! anybody actually try that ?
thanx guys !

MIKE

shepherd79
06-09-2003, 05:55 AM
it should. try lubricating with soap. it should help sliding.

ACCORD EX
06-09-2003, 12:54 PM
i'll sure try that !

i checked the service manual , haynes manual , 88 > 91 CRX Manual , 91 Accord manual and they all say > DON'T TRY TO DIASSEMBLE THE OUTER JOINT ! ?

MIKE

Trowa
06-09-2003, 03:50 PM
c'mon dude, i did it 2 TIMES!!! it works fine, snap it out, clean and then snap it back in. I don't think that there's another way to do it for that axel, it's just TOO think to slide the boot on.

anchovies
06-09-2003, 09:04 PM
Take off the outer joint. That's how I did it.

ACCORD EX
06-10-2003, 01:10 PM
i know that i am asking to many questions but i can't afford to ruin a 300 $ axle ( where i live )
i attached a pic below with 2 marks ! ( not a 3gee axle )
where should i hit to pop the joint out ! # 1 or 2 ?
and will any of the ball bearings will fall ! ?
any circlips to remove !

sorry for bothering you guys !

MIKE

Trowa
06-10-2003, 03:39 PM
and no bearing should fall out =)
and if they do ur in trouble LOL

anchovies
06-10-2003, 07:05 PM
There's a clip around the axle (inside 1) which is the difficult part when you try to pop it back in. Good luck.

Trowa
06-10-2003, 08:39 PM
i don't know, never had a problem with that one...... maybe it's just me. LOL

tighting the thingy that holds the boot, now that was a b*tch

Brettmans5
06-10-2003, 09:53 PM
get a good brass drift and hit the inner race (the part right on the axle shaft, the whole thing is retained by a c-clip, a good solid wack should pop it right off, but use a brass drift, a steel one could damage the race and that would be very bad). Once it is off, make a very small mark on the inner race, the cage and the cup, uses those as a marker so you put it back together correctly, the bearings in there don't have to go back in the same place so don't worry about them. once its is apart clean it up good and look for scoring and rough spots, if its all good reassemble it dry, and once it is back together squirt most of the grease that came with the boot into the cup through teh hole where the axle shaft goes, a little on each bearing. put the boot on the shaft and put the rest of the grease in the boot, put teh joint back on the shaft( line it up and a nice tap should lock it in place) then slide the boot up and get it around the cup, make sure to burp the boot as best you can, attach the clips to hold the boot in place. now that its in place work the joint back and forth to get the grease all around the inside of the joint. Viola, ready to be reinstalled

cruznz
06-10-2003, 10:20 PM
just clamp the axle in a vice,(if you got 1),be careful not to crush it,...grab the C.V by the spline so its in line with the axle and give it a good hit with a soft metal hammer from behind,use a good heavy 1,it'll pop right off,you got no worries about the cage etc coming out .
You can also change the outer C.V while it is still on the car once you got the hang of knocking the C.V off....and yes, i've done this many times if you're wondering
I can scan some diagrams on how to dismantle C.V if you like and email them to you

ACCORD EX
06-11-2003, 12:19 AM
please do pete ! could you send them to [email protected] ( not zipped please )

thanx a lot guys for the help ! you are the best ! :) :super:

MIKE

cruznz
06-11-2003, 02:24 AM
on it's way...hope it helps

ACCORD EX
06-11-2003, 02:22 PM
Pete ! i love you man ! very nice explanation and pics !

i am gonna try that on some lying around axles as you said !

thanx again ! :)

MIKE

cruznz
06-12-2003, 12:46 AM
no problem,pleasure to help out.........:smokin:

ACCORD EX
06-12-2003, 08:05 AM
just tried that on my dad's old axle ( peugeot ) and it poped with a hit ! and got it back in ! woooooohooooooo !
now i wonder why the service manual tells us not to diassemble the joint ! :rolleyes:

MIKE