PDA

View Full Version : anyone know how to ge tthe front rotors off of a 5g?

meohmy01
06-09-2003, 06:46 AM
i have a 94 accord lx coupe with abs and i have no idea how to get the front rotors off of it. it is nothing like a 3g or any buick i have ever worked on. if you have any ideas i'd really appreciate it.

mowery
06-09-2003, 09:23 AM
Here ya go:

http://www.federal-mogul.com/fmeconnect/technicalservices/downloads/3501.pdf

I ran into the same problem with my '94 EX. I've learned that the rotor doesn't always sit true on the hub, and a high speed brake vibration problem can be mis-diagnosed as a result. Taking the rotors off and having them turned will not solve the problem since the HUB is actually not true. The best approach is to find a brake shop with an "on the car" lathe, and it will compensate for the hub runout.

meohmy01
06-09-2003, 09:45 AM
ok. i figured out how to do it by just sitting with it for a while. but i can't get the lower ball joint apart. how do you separate the balljoint?

mowery
06-09-2003, 09:58 AM
Either one of two ways (or both):

Take the nut off, flip it over, and put it back on far enough that it's flush with the end of the threaded portion. Then wail away at it from underneath with as big a hammer/sledge-o-matic that you can find.

Or: Use a GOOD quality gear puller device. (two arms grab the knuckle while the threaded bolt pushes up on the ball joint). Do the flipped nut trick again, but this time leave a recess to capture the puller's point in. Make sense? Then you tighten it slowly and wait for the BAM!!!