PDA

View Full Version : Don't let it Happen to you

TWOLOUDNPROUD
06-09-2003, 11:59 AM
UpDate my Car is Back from the shop and the stall converter works sweet total cost was $1450 :cool: . I cant wait to take it to sac Raceway on the 25 to see how it does:D C ya

DBMaster
06-09-2003, 12:18 PM
You can also use synthetic ATF. It suppsedly runs about 20 degrees cooler than conventional. The built in factory trans cooler ought to be enough for our cars. Maybe you had something else going on there as well.

ACCORD EX
06-09-2003, 12:56 PM
it shouldn't do that under normal operation even without the cooler ! ? what kind of oil were you running ! ?

MIKE

DBMaster
06-09-2003, 01:07 PM
He said it was an auto so it had to be ATF, right?

TWOLOUDNPROUD
06-09-2003, 01:55 PM
I am useing synthetic ATF it did not help. The shop said to much Hp on the tranie plus it 14 years old

AccordEpicenter
06-09-2003, 01:57 PM
honda atf is very friction modified vs regular dexron, i mean you could use it but synthetic dex isnt reccomended

A20A1
06-09-2003, 02:25 PM
I doubt it was too much HP... But I'm running 2 B&M oil coolers and B&M trick shift fluid with some Mobile 1 ATF.

The Stock cooler is pretty worthless in my opinion, unless you run the car with the fans constantly on.

Morpheus
06-09-2003, 02:59 PM
Why are you fixing it?
I would junk it and find an MT.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
06-09-2003, 04:51 PM
well let put it this way the tranie was so dam HOT that the overflow Melted and the loom on the wires melted to.it when i stop there was somke comeing out of it and it blow floud all overit self

TWOLOUDNPROUD
06-09-2003, 04:55 PM
but i was going to rebuilbing next month but now i will do it this month and im going to put a stall converter in it . It will Lock up at 2200 RPM that will be Nice

TWOLOUDNPROUD
06-09-2003, 04:58 PM
By the way clean up is a B(;{<

TWOLOUDNPROUD
06-09-2003, 05:17 PM
The Stock cooler is pretty worthless in my opinion, unless you run the car with the fans constantly on. [/B][/QUOTE] That what the Shop said to it does not help koop it cool at all:burn:

ryan88lxi
06-09-2003, 06:25 PM
on our cars are you supposed to put in only honda fluid? i have a manual trans and they filled it with valvoline 10 30. just wondering, thanks

Techno
06-09-2003, 06:37 PM
Hey!

Are you sure that you had enough oil in the Trans? Sounds like to me that you had a leak on the trans and that you ran out of oil.

OR

The oil was not changed soon enough and the oil broke down and the resulting sludge clogged the channels in the transmission

Either way take everyone's advice and switch to a Manual Trans

Techno

Techno
06-09-2003, 06:39 PM
The answer to the oil that is supposed to be in the MT is the same oil that we put in out engines. The Tech Manual states to put in 10w-30 in the Trans. I just looked it up in my Chiltons

Techno

TWOLOUDNPROUD
06-09-2003, 06:43 PM
yes and i was just had it changed in feb by Honda and it was full before i went to Reno. I go over all of it before i go anywhere

POS carb
06-09-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by TWOLOUDNPROUD
The Stock cooler is pretty worthless in my opinion, unless you run the car with the fans constantly on. That what the Shop said to it does not help koop it cool at all:burn: [/B][/QUOTE]

The stock cooler isn't much of a cooler but more of a temperature regulator but it doesn't flow much. All it is: a copper pipe with an inner wall and the fluid flows sandwitched between the two walls and radiator coolant flows through the center of the pipe and all around the outer walls... Picture it like one copper pipe inside another and the ATF flows in between the inside and outside pipes and then the inside pipe is just a tunnel through the middle. The "pipes" are very similar diameter, meaning the space between the two isn't very much so not too much ATF actually goes through there and since this all sits on the bottom of the radiator, the little that does get's "cooled" at 190*F

DBMaster
06-10-2003, 05:54 AM
I think it's all a bunch of boloney. If the stock "cooler" (or, whatever you want to call it) was no good the transmission would not last 14 years and over 200K miles (in my case).

I think you had something else wrong, something blocked, low fluid, who knows. All of our transmissions are not going to overheat and fail if we do not install aftermarket fluid coolers.

I think what is likely is that the internal screen became plugged and you had fluid starvation occur somewhere. All you need is for one area to burn up and it is going to make ALL the fluid look and smell burned. I had gotten over 200K miles out of a GM transmission on my Pontiac before I sold it. All I did was regular fluid and filter changes.

An automatic transmission has such a complicated fluid path you may never know exactly what caused the failure.

AccordEpicenter
06-10-2003, 08:39 AM
autos could never stand up to the abuse i give them, brake torque launches, burnouts, zipping thru traffic, small neutral drops etc... Somehow my accords tranny has done it for the last 45k miles (i have 120k now) and it still lives.... I dont get it. I do regular atf changes and stuff and i cant believe its lasted me this long... Its only now its starting to shift funny... but not slipping at all.

Justin86
06-10-2003, 08:57 AM
Save yout money with the auto and get a manual at the junkyard.

SiR
06-10-2003, 08:57 AM
Had to been cloged with some nasty shit that was still in the tranny. When was the last time you changed the fluid before the one that you said you did on Feb by Honda? Cuz you cant get all the fluid in one drain, there is still some in the Torque Converter.

Mine has lasted and keeps on going with 278k. Four people wouldnt matter, still under tthe Max. Gross Vehicle Weight.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
06-10-2003, 11:13 AM
No way Love my Auto to much/i have a up Date it will cost is 1483.02 Thank God that not to Bad. And that with the stall converter in it. Sweet

accordlxi2.0
06-10-2003, 06:51 PM
do our auto tranny's have a governor?
if we do what would be a sign of a bad governor?
cause when i'm in 3rd and go into WOT it'll rev to 5k then 4k it just moves back -n-forth in that range till i let go then accelerate normally.
ANY HELP PLEASE?

The LXI has a rev limiter...

A20A1
06-10-2003, 07:03 PM
what? D3 will hold 3rd gear once your in 3rd and will not shift into 4th gear.

releasing the accelerator causes the TV to drop... a lower TV means a lower shift point, so your car will shift to the next gear earlier. If you hold the pedal at WOT the TV is raised all the way, a High TV cause the shift point to raise to about 5,800 6,200 rpm depending on how it was set from the factory and how well the adjustments have been maintained.

If you don't understand don't bother... I'm just letting you know. I posted a more detailed response about this in a different tread but no one seems to care. :D

A20A1
06-10-2003, 07:19 PM
oops sorry I edited your post instead of quoting you accordlxi2.0,

I wrote that the EFI motors had a rev limiter... but I doubt that is the problem since you're not reving high enough to reach it. i think the limit is 6,000 6,200. ???

TWOLOUDNPROUD
06-10-2003, 08:35 PM
I was told by the transmission shop that the card tranie do have a rpm limiter in them but the f4 dose not have it . it in the ECU

A20A1
06-10-2003, 09:03 PM
F4???

Carb has no rev limiter, only has a fuel cut-off.
And there is no limiter or ECU for the transmission... our Automatics are controlled by a TV cable.

I did read that one of the automatic transmissions had a vacuum line coming off of it... but I have yet to see one.

accordlxi2.0
06-11-2003, 03:40 AM
where is the fuel cut off point?
cause it seems too low the be like that and if i did have one then why can i redline in park and 1st gear but not in 3rd?

A20A1
06-11-2003, 03:43 AM
Your name says LXI... so if you're fuel injected you don't have a fuel cut... you have a rev limiter.

offthahook
06-11-2003, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by A20A1
F4???

Carb has no rev limiter, only has a fuel cut-off.
And there is no limiter or ECU for the transmission... our Automatics are controlled by a TV cable.

I did read that one of the automatic transmissions had a vacuum line coming off of it... but I have yet to see one.

I think F4 is the trans. code for the AT's. Like A20A is the engine code.

accordlxi2.0
06-20-2003, 05:59 PM
i fixed my problem it was the fuel filter. i was bout to get a trans. ecm for the car. thanks for the help!!!!!!!