PDA

View Full Version : Disc Brake conversion question

Brettmans5
06-09-2003, 04:55 PM
while i was wandering about the boneyard i saw a few acura integras and acura legends with rear disc brakes. one was a 89 legend one was a 90 integra. now the question is would the rear suspension knuckle from one of those work in place of a 88 to 89 SE-I accord? i took a look at it and it appears to be similar, but it started pouring rain and i had to leg it for cover, i plan on going back on my next day off and take some measurements but i was wondering if anyone had looked into this and could prevent me from wasting my time if i am totally wrong. let me know, i would imagine they would be very similar as honda/acura seems to like to use parts that fit both type of cars.

shepherd79
06-09-2003, 06:40 PM
you can try. no one has done it.
if you get it to work. that would be cool.

anchovies
06-09-2003, 09:02 PM
The legend one is very close if not the same knuckle. That's as far as I've experimented... eyeballing.

Jareds 89 LX-i
06-09-2003, 09:13 PM
I was gonna try this exact same thing with the Legend cuz I too noticed that they were very close. However, the only thing I know is different is the hub and bolt pattern. The legend is 4x114.3, so (assuming they fit) you would have to: A) have rims with multi-lug pattern, B)can swap just the hub with that of a 4x100 car (prelude?), or C)find a front knuckle and hub that will swap and have all 4x114.3 and rims to match, or D)wait for an SE-i to show up, lol. I'm gonna do some experimenting at the junkyard though and see if I can figure something out. Probably wait until fall though...it's sooooo hot right now

Brettmans5
06-09-2003, 11:32 PM
Yeah....its hot and muggy here too....but i am just to stupid to not go out into, so i think next friday i will grab the tool box and head out....maybe i can go into the yard and they will forget about me for a while and i will rip one off a acura and try putting it on one of the accords........heeheeeeheeeee....and if it works buy it and just stick with the pattern ( the rims i was looking at are a multi bolt pattern style) or grab a 'lude hub and see if it fits....... figure i am going to be buying a trunk load of stuff that the manager will just let me at it and figure i am some wacky import nut with delusions of grandure ( think i spelt that right :) )

Justin86
06-14-2003, 04:38 PM
So any word on the compatibality brettman?

Brettmans5
06-15-2003, 02:05 AM
not yet...been so busy working and taking care of others vehicles( domestic pieces of crap.....but hey i made 50 bucks) that i haven't been to the boneyard to take a peek. I will probably go on friday if i don't end up taking all day putting lowering springs in a buddies civic.....yeah i know....yet another pimped out civic, but its an extra 70 bucks in my wallet :)
I am going to pull a rear wheel off on friday hopefully and get some digital pics( if i can borrow a buddies digital camera), then take measurements, head off to the junkyard and do the same, if all looks good i will buy a set of them and try it out...this is all providing i don't end up spending all day installing springs :)

Justin86
06-15-2003, 03:01 PM
Well that is cool that you are making some extra money. I need to check around to see if there is any Legends laying around my area. Do you know the other years the are with that generation of the Legend that would be simular. Isn't 88-91 Legends the same gen?

Justin86
06-23-2003, 09:36 PM
Come on bro it has been two weeks. Either start experimenting or I'm going to go down to the junk yard and look for an Legend.

Brettmans5
06-24-2003, 09:18 PM
well my plan to go to the wreckers kinda went up in smoke...for two reasons...i went by there on friday as planned and walked right to where the legend was....operative word....was...... ask dude working there....."oh we crushed it"...are there any more? ....."no..thems rare cars to get here"....SO WHY DID YOU CRUSH IT FOR CHRISTS SAKE!!!!!!!!! i leave.....go help my buddy put his lower springs in. someone should have warned me about the lower strut bolt....you know , the one that breaks :(. so the 5 hour job turned into a lower arm removal, hunt for a bushing and bolt, then press it in epic....needless to say i got it done at about 8 that night but bro....i was not happy.

oh the second reason...... i blew my ankle out (again...don't ask) and now i am on crutches....so any junkyard trips are postponed till i can walk again without screaming in agony.

Justin86
06-25-2003, 07:19 PM
Shit, man that sucks. I should call up the local junkyards to see if they have any 89 Legends. Do you now what years of the Legend are simular so if I find an 88 I now that it is the same.

hondacowboy003
06-25-2003, 08:26 PM
I am considering converting the brakes on my 88 LX. Am I correct in assuming that the rear discs from an LX-i will fit? And do I have to change my master cylinder,parking brake etc? Any help will be appreciated so I wont throw my money away.

Justin86
06-26-2003, 06:15 PM
Yes since the dics on the Lx-i are larger you need to also swap the master cylinder. The parking brake I'm not so sure, but I don't think that there is any difference between the rear drums.

hondacowboy003
06-26-2003, 06:41 PM
Kinda figured I would need the master cylinder too. I figure since my car is sitting in the drive way incapacitated Id go ahead and swap to 4 wheel discs and a couple other mods before I get it running again. Thanks

Justin86
06-26-2003, 09:17 PM
Ok I'm lost. Only Se-i models have rear discs. You said you were talking the discs off an Lx-i. Check the how to on rear disc conversion and it should answer all your questions.