PDA

View Full Version : Interior Paint Fade

89AcCOrDmike
06-09-2003, 05:13 PM
I've been talkin to some kids at school, and they said dash painting was a bad idea, but i've been hearing it works if you do it right, but i've also been hearing it fades and looks like shit. I want to have it last, i'm painting from brown to black, anyone had any experiences they want to share??? or any other ideas besided trying to buy a dash kit???

SeanJohn03
06-09-2003, 05:34 PM
I have done the insides of many of cars, but the one that i did the best was my 1995 cavalier z24 and i bought the brand i cant think of the name but it is made for touh ups for the outside of the car and the results were amazing this is what you do

1. buy the paint and numours of bottles of rubbing al.
2. also buy some primer
3. pull off the parts you want to paint
4. rub the alchol on the part and get the dirt out
5 primer
6 let dry
7 sand the runs and rough part out
8 paint

This should cover it any questions just post them on this thread

89AcCOrDmike
06-09-2003, 07:15 PM
i'm not sure what you mean by sanding the rough parts out, out of what? and do i just put the primer right on the plastic?? how do i go about removing the dash?

rideredorgohome
06-10-2003, 05:25 AM
you could also buy some black vinyl dye, this actually sinks right into the vinyl on the dash, that is what i am going to do, my dash is burgundy and i'm going to turn it black

Justin86
06-10-2003, 11:58 AM
Too remove the dash go to a store that sells repair manuals and look up your answer.

SeanJohn03
06-10-2003, 12:34 PM
the rough spots are just things like runs from spraying the paint to close etc... and i dont know how to remove the parts because i never done a 3g

89AcCOrDmike
06-10-2003, 09:29 PM
okay, while i'm at it, anyone have any ideas for changing seatbelts??? can i just go buy new ones or what??

Justin86
06-11-2003, 08:52 AM
Michael if you really want to know I will tell you. I just didn't want to describe every little detail. The pics in the repair manual will give you a better idea of how to do it and in less time it will take me to write everything.

A Dawg Jr
06-11-2003, 11:19 AM
Is it hard to remove the dash? It would probably be a pain wouldn't it?

88 Accord DX
06-11-2003, 11:47 AM
well you gotta remove the steering column i think. or at least the steering wheel. you gotta take off the guages. its alot of work.

Justin86
06-11-2003, 05:49 PM
Yes you have to take out the gauge cluster and drop the steering column. There is only 4 bolts that need to be removed to lower the column.

89accord_lxi_coupe
06-12-2003, 08:47 AM
i've got a haynes manual. if you want i can type up the steps to removing the dash. i've got time. hell, i might learn something in the process.

A Dawg Jr
06-12-2003, 02:22 PM
Sure, go ahead!!!1

Not like a rock
06-12-2003, 03:23 PM
I've been wondering about the seat belts too. Mine are all stained from the smoker who had the car before me. Has anyone taken them out before, and do people ever dye them or color them somehow?

easyryder
06-12-2003, 07:44 PM
O.K. Afew Q's answered.DO NOT USE PAINTING TYPE PRIMER ON THE INTERIOR IF U WANT YOUR CAR TO LOOK LIKE ANYTHING AFTER AWHILE!!! Vinyl is flexable and most primers are NOT. SANDING THE DASH (GAWD THIS GETS STUPIDOR BY THE MINUTE) NOT UNLESS YOU WANT TO HAVE A MISS MATCHED SURFACE>>>When you sand you take away the grain or tecture(sp) of the dash To dye U need some alcohol vinyl prep and the dye( marhide or SEM ) are two of the better ones.....First scub the dash down well so you can tell it is clean next tape off what you don't want to dye The gently use the alcohol on a cloth and give the dash a good wipe to makesure it is clean check your tape off and add newspapers to all outer perimeters(avoid overspray) the with thin light coats start spraying the dash wait for each coat to dry and repeat untill tthe right color on dash is achieved.....Be carefull not to over dye three to four light coats should do it

89AcCOrDmike
06-12-2003, 07:58 PM
do i have to take the dash out to do that? i'm thinkin so...

Justin86
06-13-2003, 04:47 PM
It would be wise to do so. If you are taking the time to paint it it won't take much longer to remove the dash.

easyryder
06-13-2003, 05:16 PM
Justin is right it is best to take out your dash If you are unable to you really need to carefully tape off everything
By the way seat belts..The quick easy fix is pull them out at a coin op wash and presure wash them(make sure you close the door on the belt and hold on to the other end

Justin86
06-13-2003, 06:11 PM
With the seat belts first try and let them soak in some SOAPY water and let it soak in. You can try other cleaning products besides regular soap. Then if all else fails do the presure washer.

89AcCOrDmike
06-13-2003, 06:20 PM
well what if you want to make them a different color? can you just buy new ones? i need to have them black not brown

Brettmans5
06-13-2003, 06:31 PM
i am curious about those who have painted the dash board and other vinyl parts in there cars, do you notice any fading? did you use any sealants after you painted it? what paint did you use? i have seen a few different brands of vinyl paints, which does the best job and resists fade? i have tinted windows in the back window and the rear doors( don't know the percent...pretty high) but nothing on the front doors. we get some good sun here in the summer and it gets hot, and it does get pretty cold in the winter so i have to take into account. i plan on either a nice red or a darker blue.

easyryder
06-13-2003, 09:19 PM
Yes you can buy them or you can dye them

Brettmans5
06-14-2003, 01:30 AM
how do the dyes work? color looks god and doesn't fade? and are you limited in colors, and is the cost reasonable...my interior is brown and i plan on completely changing it.