PDA

View Full Version : Carbs, webers, and headaches

Brettmans5
06-10-2003, 01:37 AM
my brain hurts....i mean it realy hurts.... :crying:
Ok after a ton of reading and re-reading and taking a break....hitting the punching bag ( great tension relief ) i have determine....at least i think...
the DCOE webber is a great performance gain for a carbed a20a1 set up, but the cost is your going to lose fuel efficency, and if any emmisions testing is done your cooked. Now your best to go with a dual 40 set up but that would require a custom built intake manifold and thus could get expensive right quick.
now if thats a concern, you could put a 32/36 dgev (the electronic choke version...having not really poked around under my hood yet i imagine the a20a1 use a electric choke) but this sucker is pretty much a slight improvement over the stock carb that would already be there and if you were planning future improvements to the engine you wouldn't be providing sufficent fuel and air to properly take advantages of those upgrades.
now the 38 DGES (the electronic choke version) would probably be your best bet if you were planning future improve and wanted a noticable change in performance and could accept a minor ding in fuel efficency. now with this carb and the 32/36 you would require an adapter plate but could use the stock intake manifold and be done with it.
please tell me i am right...my brain hurts and i hate to have to start all over again..... :crying:

shepherd79
06-10-2003, 03:20 AM
well, you won't lose fuel efficency with DCOE carbs. May be a little, but it still be better than any american car. i think for DCOE you may want to use at least 42mm set. they are a little better.
about 32/36 with elecric chocke. it would be just the replacement for your stock carb with some performnce increase. your best bet would be to ditch 32/36 and drop 36/36 it should be a little better.
if you are concern about fuel efficiency than Weber is not for you.
oh yeah, with dual DCOE you can pass emissions. if you have emissions in your state, just forget about performance carbs. they will give you more problems with emissions than stock carb.

A20A1
06-10-2003, 03:44 AM
You mean 38/38...

Brettmans5
06-10-2003, 10:26 AM
i looked around and never saw one called a 38/38, only one i saw was a 38 dges.....they call it an outlaw series....i read the whole "choosing your carb" article on www.webercarb.com under redline weber conversion kits link and considering my plans the 38dges seems to be the most logical choice for my plans.

shepherd79
06-10-2003, 12:26 PM
yeah i mean 38/38.
i don't know why, but i always thought that 38/38 was DGV series carb. I guess i was wrong.
anyway, 38/38 should be better anyway,a nd it shouldn't take too much work to get it on. you probably would have to bore out your intake manifold.

hondacowboy003
07-04-2003, 12:24 PM
about 32/36 with elecric chocke. it would be just the replacement for your stock carb with some performnce increase. your best bet would be to ditch 32/36 and drop 36/36 it should be a little better.

Ok so does that mean the 32/36 Series Weber is a direct bolt on for the Accord? Or do you have to have a special adapter plate made? Im just want alittle more performance from my A20A1 motor and considering the fact that I am contemplating an exhaust upgrade (Headers,cat back exhaust, Muffler) would this carb work with these mods? Thanks for any help.

A20A1
07-04-2003, 12:38 PM
First off this might not be a good choice if you live in an emissions controled state.

Second the 32/36 is only slightly better then stock... but it's tuneable so when you get more mods you can adjust the carb again to squeeze out a little more power.

It needs an adapter plate...

it's about $50 bucks for the adapter if you decided to buy the 38 weber instead of the 32/36 kit which comes with everything you need.

the 38 sells for around $300 - $350
some places will have them cheaper.

hondacowboy003
07-04-2003, 10:54 PM
Only emissions test that are done in the state of Illinois are in the greater Chicago area and around St. Louis, so emissions isnt a problem.

Where can I find the 32/36 kit? Or the 38? Ive searched Nopi, Weber Carbs and ebay and came up empty. Any suggestions would be appreciated

shepherd79
07-05-2003, 05:31 AM
here is the good website
http://www.carbsunlimited.com/Weber/weber.htm
http://www.carbsunlimited.com/Weber/Dataresults.asp

here is nopi
http://www.nopionline.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dsppartdetail&vmakeid=140&vmodelid=010&vcatyear=1988&vnopinum=002%2B0363&vTitle=1988%20HONDA%20Accord%20Fuel%20Systems/Injection%20Carburetor%20Kit&vaffid=0
good luck

hondacowboy003
07-05-2003, 09:11 AM
One more question, I went to carbsunlimited and the kit they have is for a Manual Transmission, I have an auto, will it still work or do I have to keep the throttle kick down for the AT or is it in the kit?

A20A1
07-05-2003, 03:30 PM
yeah the
auto kickdown / throttle kickdown / throttle value cable needs to have a custom throttle bracket.

I got tired or trying to get the dynamics of it right and just pulled the TV cable by hand when I wanted to shift at a higher rpm... or downshift to a lower gear.

hondacowboy003
07-06-2003, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the info and all the help. Right now I cant do much of anything (gotta beg,bum and borrow just to get my lil Honda fixed). Im just considering my options and gathering as much info as I can. before I attempt anything along the lines of a build up( mostly bolt ons IF and when I get a job). Again thanks for the help, its greatly appreciated.

Akuma
07-16-2003, 05:34 PM
Just to get this straight or not.. The 32/36 Weber Kit comes with EVERYTHING you need for a direct bolt-on on the accord, or do you still need an adapter. And about that auto/manual thing that you mentioned and the TV cable, you kind of lost me there. Any help would be appreciated, I need to replace my carb and I am going to get a Weber to replace the stock. Thanks