PDA

View Full Version : Car sputtered and now sounds weak

Maydnaella
06-06-2002, 05:32 PM
Anyone have any clues as to why? I went to start my car and it sputtered and died. I tried a couple of times and it wouldn't stay on...then i noticed the AC was on so I turned it off and tried starting it again and it stayed on but it sounds weak. There's a weird clicking (?) sound coming from the engine bay ...sounds like when you lift a bike up and turn the foot pedal and you can hear the chain spinning. The O2 sensor doesn't work so I dunno if that has anything to do with it. And the engine light came on. What's the deal?

YK86
06-06-2002, 05:45 PM
You might be running too rich because of the bad O2 sensor. Next time the light comes on, leave the engine on and look under the driver's seat from the back and you'll see a box with a tab near the middle. You should see a LED light flashing so count the number of times it blinks (there will be a pause so you will know when to start and stop counting). Then check the code in the FAQ section and get back to us!

Maydnaella
06-06-2002, 06:20 PM
14 light blinks...

code?? *peruses the FAQ*

ohhh ok...

it says:
14 88-98 Accord
IAC Valve (Idle Air Control)
defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

what is that blinking light under the seat anyway? i feel like Jane(s) Bond.

how much does it usually cost to replace the O2 sensor???:sadwave: :banghead:

(be good Jmz!)

s0crates82
06-07-2002, 01:36 AM
o2 sensor... 40bux max, plus you'll probably need a oxy sensor wrench kit, another 15bux... and a breaker bar for your socket wrench, cuz that thing's gonna be stuck on there like a mofo.

88LXi/87CRXSi
06-07-2002, 03:29 AM
The box under the seat is your ECU, it controls pretty much everything your fuel injected engine does (88LXi right?). If ur O2 sensor(s) are bad it will blink a code 1 or 2, I think, you have 2 now, BTW. Now as far as the IAC Valve, I'm not sure but, I think that's the thing (box) on the front of the intake manifold, by the valve cover?? Check the connection to it, then ur going to have to do that reset the ECU thing, pull ECU fuse or disconnect negative battery cable. Then run ur car & check for blinks again. Gotta go, but I'm sure someone will answer any other questions you have! later!

Maydnaella
06-07-2002, 12:30 PM
:confused:

eegads man! I understand the O2 sensor replacement but I dunno about the stuff with the IAC valve. Is that why my engine light is on???

POS carb
06-07-2002, 07:50 PM
You don't take headache medicine when you have the shits, so why is everyone talking about the O2 sensors?
The ECU called a fault in the IAC and chances are it's right, especially since you're saying it barely idles.
First disconnect the car's battery for 10 seconds and reconnect it. Turn on the car. This will cause the ECU to do a diagnostic; if it still runs like crap and the light is on then the valve is probably bad. If it runs good then the computer probably got a bad signal and screwed up, the car is fine, proceed to enjoy.

s0crates82
06-07-2002, 08:33 PM
hey, the lady asked a question about the 02 sensor, i answered it.

*shrugs*

won't do a damn thing for the IAC though.

2Fast4U86
06-07-2002, 08:46 PM
and a breaker bar for your socket wrench, cuz that thing's gonna be stuck on there like a mofo.

Damn right. Use some penatrating oil, too.

2Fast4U

Maydnaella
06-07-2002, 09:55 PM
ahh!! Thanks Eric! I'll try that in the morning! Keep you guys posted. cross fingers.

Originally posted by 2Fast4U86

...some penatrating oil, too.

2Fast4U

sounds kinky!

s0crates82
06-08-2002, 02:38 AM
it is, aella, it is...

actually it's a oily solvent that spreads itself over surfaces, and like to chew things up like rust and such.

so if you put some on a bolt you know is gonna be a bitch, and you kinda work that bolt back and forth the tiniest bit while you're putting on the penetrating oil, it'll get into the threads, un-seize it, and make it a helluva easier to remove.

smufguy
06-08-2002, 09:04 AM
heheheh penetrating oils and kinkiness. hehehe welcome to the small world of big imaginations. :D so anyways, hit the junk, ur bet is, u could spend like 5 bucks on everything and get away with it. and get WD40 and a PIPE WRENCH to screw things over. hahah just kidding. the pipe wrench works magic on anything it can get its teeth on.