PDA

View Full Version : Tires for stock rims 185/70-13

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
06-10-2003, 10:57 AM
Those few who still have the stock rims on their Accords know what a bit*h it is to find decent tires in a size 185/70-13.

My last tires were the Michelin MX4 Rainforce. They were great in the rain, very quiet, very smooth and about as good handling as you could expect from a 13 inch tire. I just wore them out and was very disappointed to learn that this tire was discontinued and that Michelin is no longer making any 13-inch tires.

I have no problem paying a premium for quality tires, but I just can't seem to find a suitable replacement. Even the best options I am aware of all seem to have problems:

(1) Pirelli P400 - Rough ride, had one blow out on me already
(2) Yokohama Avid Touring - Throw your car around like crazy on ridged pavement
(3) Dunlop SP 40 A/S - Terrible wet traction, couldn't get them off my car quick enough
(4) Bridgestone Turanza LS-T - Have these on right now, good handling on dry pavement, no experience on wet pavement yet, but ride seems rough, also throws you around a bit on grooved pavement
(5) Bridgestone Potenza RE900 - No experience with these, but mileage warranty is only 50K, too low for the price tag

Has anyone out there found a better option? My main considerations are wet traction and ride comfort (not too rough). Aggressive handling is a plus, but not at the expense of comfort.

Erika

shepherd79
06-10-2003, 12:36 PM
why don't you get stock 14 inch rims.
i am sure there are junk yards around you.
i had 13", and they sucked big time. i only use them for the winter.
i got 14" stock rims and man what a diff.

POS carb
06-12-2003, 04:54 PM
My ride only wore Michilin rainforce rubbers *hehe* when it had a 13" and those were awesome. I'd agree with checking out some 14" rims, get some LXi alloys or something

MrBen
06-12-2003, 05:33 PM
Mine are Arizonian, top of the line when I got them. They were hella expensive, but worth it.

HondaBoy
06-13-2003, 10:18 PM
i bought some rims about a month or two ago that had new BF Goodrich radial T/A s on them. those were much better than anything i have had. but i just messed up those rims with a rock from the street. i put my LX-I rims on and they are shit compared to the T/A s . also, someone was telling me about getting 205 60 13 tires. i know sumitomo makes em. i saw them on a civic and it had no problem with them rubbing and they look nice and wide. that is the size tire im getting when my dented rim gets fixed. i may get that size on all 3 sets of rims i have.

rideredorgohome
06-17-2003, 06:53 PM
When I replaced my tires last year I put some Kumho tires on my 3g. I have 13" rims still on my car. I drove with them all winter and in the rain and everything they rule! They drive nicely and handle well especially in the snow and crappy weather. They provide a great ride. If I were to put a set of all seasons on my car again, I would definitely put these on again. I got them for about $50/tire installed (Canadian $$). That's my suggestion.