PDA

View Full Version : Part compatibility and fuel injection question

frankiebonez
06-06-2002, 06:29 PM
I seem to notice you guys talking a lot about Pacesetter headers, DC Sport exhausts, etc. I'm new to the scene and I have been to about 10 different online parts shops and none of them have much in the way of performance parts for our cars. I see you guys talking about all these things, but can't find anything. My question is: are some parts from the later Accords and Civics compatible with our cars with a little tweaking, or is it just frickin' hard to find parts for 3geez?

I've read over the How To build your own Air Intake guide, and I plan on building my own. As far as exhaust, muffler, and header upgrades...I can't seem to find any parts for the 88 Accord.

I was also wondering if our cars have fuel-injection? I've heard different stuff, so I honestly don't know.

If you guys know a good online parts store that has the parts I need for my car, let me know. I'm running an automatic LX, so I assume I can't use any LXi parts...

89accordlxi
06-06-2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by frankiebonez
My question is: are some parts from the later Accords and Civics compatible with our cars with a little tweaking, or is it just frickin' hard to find parts for 3geez?

I was also wondering if our cars have fuel-injection? I've heard different stuff, so I honestly don't know.

If your car is an lx then No, your car is not fuel injected.
That is what the "i" in lx-i stands for. lx-i's are injected.

It is very hard to find aftermarket performance parts for our cars. The only thing I've heard people modify from civic is a short ram intake. Other then that, I don't think any parts from later accords
will fit our cars without extensive modifications. I guess some people have used coil overs from later accords as well.
If your car is an lx that also means you probably won't be able to use a cold air intake on it.

Nopi.com and jcwhitney.com sells some parts for our cars as well as some others that i can seem to recall right now.

Hope this helps.

Peace..
oh yeah, welcome to the board. You will definitely get a lot of good advice here on how to get more performance out of your 3g:wave:

frankiebonez
06-06-2002, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the answers! Also, does anyone know what the performance boost would be with a new Weber carb? I was reading about them and found the site that sells them for the 3G.

How much of an HP boost might I get? Would I notice anything else?

And hell yeah, NOPI has a ton of stuff all categorized and easy to find. Thanks!

frankiebonez
06-06-2002, 07:39 PM
So, no intake for my LX at all? I couldn't even put together a custom one as shown in the How-To section?

Bummer, it seemed like a nice HP upgrade for little cost.

1988starter
06-06-2002, 08:06 PM
No for a carben intake you would need to build one like A2A01 did as for a header Pacesetter makes one get ceramic I wish I did (no rust.) I got mine from www.nopi.com

frankiebonez
06-06-2002, 08:15 PM
Ok, I checked some stuff out.

How does this sound -

Weber Carb
Pace Setter Cat-Back exhaust
Pace Setter Carbon Fiber header
K&N Air Filter
NGK Platinum plugs
NGK wire set

All for $799.15 w/o shipping. What would be your ballpark estimate on getting most of that stuff installed (I could do the plugs, wires, and filter though). Or do I just need to go get an estimate from some places?

Anything else I might want to put in there? I noticed there's quite a few options under exhaust on Nopi, but I don't know exactly what I do/don't need except for the header and cat-back.

Also, while I was looking at the wires I saw the $100+ variety. Do these things add tons of extra performance or something? I'm definately going to go with the NGK wires like most people have suggested on here, but I was just curious as to why these Vitek wires(and others) were so damn expensive.

Thanks for the info!:super:

smufguy
06-07-2002, 11:17 AM
pacesetters are good only for two things, aux lights and short shifters. Many ppl did have problem with their ceramic coated pacesetter headers because the coating started to peel off. THey are the only ones who make headers for our 3g carbed cars. DC sports does not make one for our carb cars.

800 bucks seems decent. and dont worry about the labor, you can do it yourself, including the headers. headers might be kinda hard because of all the frozen bolts and rusted crap, but ur all set if u follow the instructions. dont forget a new HEADER GASKET. get a torque wrech to tighten the header bolts back on and spray WD 40 on those header bolts when u take em off. they are fragile and tend to snap on even a slight over torque.