PDA

View Full Version : just an intake thought

Micah 89LXi
06-10-2003, 07:40 PM
i dont know about anything other than the LXI cause that is what i have...but if you think about the way the intake is laid out..it is practically a cold air intake already...it sucks the air from the wheel well right about where a CAI would...so what is the point of a short ram intake...i think if anything performace would be worse...maybe because of the filter being at the opposite end?..i dunno....just something my friend reminded me of today while looking at my car...most cars get the air from the front right above the bumper....at least the LXI that i know of gets it from the wheel well ...if anything it is a cool air intake if not a cold air setup...i think the short ram is for show...prove me wrong guys..hehe

A20A1
06-10-2003, 08:02 PM
well the short ram just gets rid of the twist and turns most stock systems use... plus the pipe diameter on stock systems are usually smaller.

The short ram isn't always the best, but in some cases it gives more hp over stock, just because of less restriction.

A true cold air intake would be the next best thing... but then the length of the intake pipe becomes a problems... so you have to deal with which diameter pipe is better to use with the longer intake.

NXRacer
06-11-2003, 07:34 AM
The stock intakes on an LXI SUCK. The air has to travel about 4 feet before it gets to the throttle body and in that 4 feet the air is majorly restricted and it gets heated before too which makes the air more expanded so it doesnt burn as well. With a cold air intake or even a short ram, the distace the air has to travel is cut in half (with a short ram). The diameter is twice as big as the stock intake so more air is able to get to the throttle body. Even with a full cold air intake the air is almost getting 'pushed' into the motor instead of the motor having to suck it through a series of twists and turns.

thats just my opinion.

ps i got a HUGE increase in power when i went to a short ram (it sure felt like it anyway). Plus it sounds killer around 5000 rpm.

anchovies
06-11-2003, 09:41 AM
They summed it up pretty well. Restriction!
You're running a resonator, 180deg turn, smaller piping to bigger piping to smaller piping and the material does not retain the temperature well.
With the short ram, you have a more direct flow, hence velocity however, it can be made better with cai. With cai, although you're running a longer piping, the temperature is lower and denser. Also the material used for short ram or cai tends to keep the hot engine heat off it.

Micah 89LXi
06-19-2003, 02:03 PM
can the short ram ever be worse? than the stock intake?....due to heat and stuff or do you just paint the short ram with hi temp paint

NXRacer
06-19-2003, 02:11 PM
i dont see how it could be worse then the stock intake system. You're freeing up the air flow considerably and even though the air might be warmer then from a full cold air, there is still more air coming in which helps a LOT.