PDA

View Full Version : Brake warning light on dash lit up?!?!?

Brettmans5
06-11-2003, 01:53 AM
i was rip around today after work and all of a sudden the warning light that says you got a burnt out tail light came on....i swore but wasn't to bothered, i carry a few sets of lights for just such emegencies. i whip into a lot, back up to a glass window and look. Nothing is out, i hit the brakes, everything comes on, i check the signals...nope all good, reverse lights...yup those to.....:wtf:
so everything works and the waring light is on, i checked the fuses, all good too, the connections for the bulbs are a bit corroded but the lights all work... i am confused....anything else you good folks think could be causing this? i was thinking an improper ground for the rear lights but if that was the case they wouldn't work would they? could it be the switch at the break pedel..... i did notice something odd, i shut the car off and the nrestarted it and teh warning light was off, but as soon as i pressed the brake pedal it came on...... :werd:

cruznz
06-11-2003, 02:31 AM
check the brake fluid level

A20A1
06-11-2003, 02:33 AM
umm are you sure it's not for the fluid?

You'd better check your brake cylinder and the brake lines for leaks.

Did you check the center brake light on the rear windshield?

cruznz
06-11-2003, 02:44 AM
well,if there's a leak,wont you lose fluid?.....low fluid sensor in brake fluid reservoir will operate causing light to come on?

I assumed he meant all the lights went including high stop light so assumed fluid to be low....possibly because of leaks,unless there is a low pressure switch on the master cylinder on later models,but i've not seen one

A20A1
06-11-2003, 03:07 AM
yes and yes...

I posted after you... but I wasn't responding you your post... it just take like 3 minuets for things to load on my 28.8 k connection. :(

cruznz
06-11-2003, 03:15 AM
sorry man,...read your post again,you just detailed it more ....duh...lol

MrBen
06-11-2003, 08:10 AM
I have the same problem. I found that coming to a complete stop, ripping up that e-brake a few times (HARD) and then I was ok. My mechanic said it had something to do with the cable. Nonetheless, I rarely have problems. You might want to give this a try.

87accordlxi
06-11-2003, 09:17 AM
i have the same problem. my brake lamp idiot light goes on when i hti the brakes and stays on. i dont think the brake fluid would have anything to do with the taillight warning. in my case, it's a bad contact inside the taillight housing. water easily gets into our taillights and can cause problems.

anchovies
06-11-2003, 09:30 AM
When the brake lamp on the "little car" on the gauge lights on when u step on the brakes that means it's a brake lamp or circuit.
If the parking brake light doesn't turn off, then you'll need to check the brake system (fluid, lines).

88LXi/87CRXSi
06-11-2003, 10:35 AM
If we're talking about the "little car" warning light, it could also be that one of the brake light sensors has just gone bad. I brought a tail light assembly, to replace a cracked one, and all the lights worked, but the sensor was bad.

MrBen
06-11-2003, 01:20 PM
I'm talking about the little car lamp also. What I said earlier worked for me.

POS carb
06-11-2003, 04:09 PM
the little car is either triggered by a bad bulb (including the light in the rear window) or bad sensors (theres one on each tail)

the "Brake" warning is triggered by low fluid or a partially engaged ebrake OR the grounding wire fell off and the car thinks the Ebrake is up.

K DASH
06-11-2003, 11:18 PM
Ah, the same thing happened to me, turns out the cap for the brake fluid popped of, haha.

Brettmans5
06-11-2003, 11:27 PM
the light that is on is the little light in the car thingy, so i assume its only linked to the rear bulbs, i checked the center one and its good, and i am not noticing any puddles under my car so i don't believe ts a fluid leak ( i do have to adjust my e brake though...i got too much slop in my e brake handle and i like my brakes nice and tight). i figure its probably a corroded contact somewhere....well screw it, i will use the blanket method of repair....i will just keep replacing parts till the light goes out :)

carotman
06-12-2003, 12:38 AM
It's one of the sensors on the taillights. Make sure all the connections are free from any rust... this could trigger the burnt bulb thingie.

3rdGenFanatic
06-13-2003, 12:49 AM
Just get up to about 80 on the intersatate, give that e-brake a good hard snatch and the light will go out. I promise.

pimp86LX
06-13-2003, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by 3rdGenFanatic
Just get up to about 80 on the intersatate, give that e-brake a good hard snatch and the light will go out. I promise. :huh:

LOL

I had the same problem. I had to replace those sensors in the tailights.

Brettmans5
06-13-2003, 01:51 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: 80 on the interstate(no interstate round here mind you :D ) yeah....i think at 80 if i yanked my e brake not only will the light go out but my car will have a heart attack, do a backflip and crash......its not exactly in the greatest of shape at this exact moment :D
but next pay day i remedy some of that. I figured thats what it is, the sensors considering the amount of rust on them, cool, i will grab a complete set on payday and replcae the old ones. Picked up a strut compressor kit today for 10 bucks....god loves a garage sale :). Now when i get the lowering springs i can put them in, and i can do buddies civic on friday instead of him having to go get it done in a shop. he had an appointment set and they were going to charge him 700 canadian to put in springs (that's just labor boys) :huh: how the hell did they figure that price? i told him to cancel the appointment and we would do it on friday......i can't believe the gaul of some shops, they wonder why people think mechanics are crooks.

pimp86LX
06-13-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Brettmans5
he had an appointment set and they were going to charge him 700 canadian to put in springs (that's just labor boys) :huh: how the hell did they figure that price?

Thast how much its costs to stich up a torn asshole :lol

Seriously though, be extremely cautious when dealing with springs. It only takes 1 mistake and the results will not be pretty.
Those shop rates are rediculous only because the big name shops charge so much and only give the mechanic a fraction of it. stupid corperations.

Brettmans5
06-13-2003, 06:17 PM
Yeah....trust me...i know the dangerous of sturts.....there is an impact mark where a bearing plate hit the roof in the shop i worked at...thank god i was not infront of it :)

Brettmans5
07-07-2003, 12:46 AM
it was indeed the sensors.....i yanked one and it was showing rust...i cleaned it and the light went out.....for about 2 hours. so the sensor was screwed...i popped into honda and they were like yeah that happens alot....60 bucks each please.....after i came too i went to the wrecker and pulled 2 good looking ones, got them for 5 bucks each and viola...no more problems :)