PDA

View Full Version : Timing Adjustment Question

Not like a rock
06-11-2003, 08:53 AM
I know this sounds like a common question, but I ran a search and didn't get anything useful:

On the timing marker on the distributor, how many degrees does each notch represent? I can't see any numbers on mine. When the advance is disconected, the pointer is at 0, and when the advance is connected the timing moves just below (clockwise) the next notch after 0. If anyone has adjusted their timing recently, does this sound right for EFI A20A3.

anchovies
06-11-2003, 09:33 AM
I'm not sure if different years of 3gs have different timing, it also depends on what tranny you have. But do check under the hood for the sticker. It would say how much timing (probably 15 +- 2 degs). The correct timing mark should be colored red on the flywheel.

Not like a rock
06-11-2003, 05:41 PM
I'm aware that the correct timing should be 15B, but I don't know how many degrees each line on that little marker represents. I'm thinking that each line is 5, but I'm not sure. I'm just trying to determine whether or not I need to inspect the timing belt incase it's off by a notch.

carotman
06-11-2003, 06:32 PM
when you apply full vacuum, it should reach the 15 degrees mark (there is a second mark)

Not like a rock
06-11-2003, 07:31 PM
---

Red <<--

---

So, the pointer should be right on the line below the red marker?
If it's at the red marker with the vacuum plugged, but moves way past the second marker with the vacuum connected, does that mean that the timing belt isn't on correctly?

Thanks