PDA

View Full Version : fuel leak

Wanna Be Engineer
06-11-2003, 12:31 PM
Ok, so here's the problem: Whenever the gas tank is a more than half full, it leaks fuel. A lot, enough to leave a stain on the driveway when kept over night. When the gas tank drops below half, the problem stops. My best guess is that it is definately a leak in the gas tank, but I'm not positive. Maybe it's a leak in a fuel line? So, my question is: Is there anyway to determine if the leaking is coming from the gas tank or a fuel line? Your input is greatly appreciated, it may save me some serious cash.

A20A1
06-11-2003, 02:02 PM
look under the car... and see if the filler neck is rusted... thats all i can think of.

DarkRedAccord
10-02-2003, 05:21 AM
Wanna Be Engineer

If your leak was at the gas tank, I have the same problem. Did you ever figure out what was the source of the leak?

Mine seems to be coming down from the top of the gas tank, left side (the side where the fuel filter is). It is intermittent, usually it starts driving from work back home in the late afternoon, leaks some during evening and usually stopped by morning.

I would appreciate responses from others (if any) who experienced similar problem.

If the gas tank require dropping to see what is going on above the tank, how much would that run? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3rd GEN
10-02-2003, 08:16 AM
i had a similar problem on my lx before...but it was my fuel line that was leaking just before the fuel filter..

it may also be your fuel return line leaking...
does it just leak when the car is parked or shortly after you turn it off??
or does it leak while driving too??

SteveDX89
10-02-2003, 08:20 AM
If it's leaking when the tank is full and stops when it's at a half, you've probably got a hole somewhere in the tank. Liquids follow the path of least resistance. There is no resistance in a hole. The gas will flow out until it reaches the bottom of the hole then it will stop. Check for punctures or rust holes on your gas tank.

danronian
10-02-2003, 09:12 AM
I know this is a different car but the same thing happened to my chevelle b/c there was a rust hole on top of the tank. I just filled it half way for a year until i got around to getting a tank, not the safest thing for sure, but it sounds like the top of the tank hole to me.

A way to find out is make sure you have half a tank in it and make sure there is no gas where you park it. Then shake the car side to side and up and down. If the hole is on the top of the tank you will see drops on the ground. Fun shaking!

my86dx4dr
10-02-2003, 10:01 AM
hey i my fuel pump was recently changed and the gasket was not installed with it and my uncle swore up and down that it was the tank its self or the fuel line.....well come to find out the gasket was leaking horibly.. ONLY ABOVE A HALF TANK..... so you should check your pump maybe have the whole fuel system looked at but that really sounds like you could have a gaskit go out..... i remember all this so clearly that was the biggest headache.... never knew when it was gonna blow up!..... screw savin money save your life!!

DarkRedAccord
10-03-2003, 04:47 AM
Thank you to all who responded.

After examining the fuel tank diagrams in the shop manual, I wonder if rubber hoses on the tank (on the fuel filter side) are leaking (the ones associated with the emission control system and others).

Does one need to remove the gas tank to have access to these hoses?

I already checked the two access covers behind the rear seat and both fuel pump and fuel gage sending unit are bone dry.

Yesterday, there was no leak on the way home but started to drip about 30 minutes after I got home. Yesterday I also left the gas tank cap loose and did not let it build pressure in the tank like it always does.