PDA

View Full Version : Help! sports light is on

stonek
06-11-2003, 12:50 PM
:burn: My 1991 Accord Lx (auto transmission) give me some trouble recently.

My case is the sports light goes on at the starting of the enging
sometimes. Usually, I wait for a few minutes and it goes off. The
time of waiting varies, and if the car was driven before the second start, the waiting time is shorter and even zero.

I don't think the car was at "s" mode when this light keeps on if it
goes on at the start, because for my case, it can never go higher gear if the "s" light is on. That's why I always wait it going off before I accelerate it.

Thanks in advance!!

BTW, honda's transimission is said not good, is it?

stonek
06-14-2003, 01:51 AM
:sadwave:
can somebody help me?
thanks

carotman
06-14-2003, 02:18 AM
did you actually check if the "Sports" button is pressed on the shiftknob?

AccordEpicenter
06-14-2003, 08:47 AM
if its not the switch, try replacing the tranny computer, somtimes they go bad

stonek
06-14-2003, 07:08 PM
:confused: do you know the computer's price? To me, it seems a big money. i wanna live with it, can it hurt me?
I am sure i did not press the button on the shiftnob. but i tried it, nothing happened. i mean, the light is on no matter you push it or release it.

Thanks and more help!
:werd:

MrBen
06-14-2003, 07:11 PM
FYI, Honda's Auto trannies are known to be very weak. I'm sure everyone's going to tell the contrary, but the reality is, they are very weak. Their new cars have the new electronically controlled tranny and apparently are much stronger, but I guess we'll see!

AccordEpicenter
06-15-2003, 08:25 AM
Yeah the newer honda autos live longer, my old 91 accord with 173k miles on it still shifted like new and I beat the loving piss out of that car. My 88 Lxi's auto wont make it to 150k, but the most common reason for the honda autos not lasting very long is that nobody changes the tranny oil, and they burn up. In my uncles 95 caravan he has gone through 3 trannies so far in 130k miles, and my friends Buick Park Ave went thru 4 trannies in 140k miles before he donated it. The buick was maintained, but the caravan wasnt... autos in general just suck, but hondas live longer. Also, the auto tranny computers can go bad and can damage the tranny badly, but generally they wont unless it thows a code, so if you can live with it youre probably not doing any harm. Yes... they are a few hundred$$$ but you could probably find one for less than $50 if you look on ebay.

AccordEpicenter
06-15-2003, 08:30 AM
BTW honda distributors are known to be weak... I agree

87accordlxi
06-15-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by stonek
:confused: do you know the computer's price? To me, it seems a big money. i wanna live with it, can it hurt me?
I am sure i did not press the button on the shiftnob. but i tried it, nothing happened. i mean, the light is on no matter you push it or release it.

Thanks and more help!
:werd:

well, if the car is actually stuck in sport mode, then that just means the tranny will let the engine wind out more before shifting. it may slightly affect fuel economy, but other than that its not a big deal.

if you can switch in and out of sport mode regardless of what the light says, then i wouldn't even bother trying to fix it