PDA

View Full Version : What do all the wires do?

MrBen
06-11-2003, 01:59 PM
I need to know what each wire does under the dash of my accord. I'm installing an alarm myself and have no clue what each wire does. Thanks.

POS carb
06-11-2003, 04:15 PM
:lol

MrBen
06-11-2003, 04:16 PM
?

pimp86LX
06-11-2003, 04:26 PM
dude your better off taking it to a shop. It costs $$$ yes but its their job to do it right. If your really a hardcore DIY type guy then buy a shop manual for $20. it has all the wiring diagrams.

POS carb
06-11-2003, 05:49 PM
:werd: :smokin:

MrBen
06-11-2003, 06:07 PM
I don't have 100 bucks to get it installed-- thats the only reason I want to install it myself.

pimp86LX
06-11-2003, 06:12 PM
count yur pennies :P

its very worth it to save up and get it done in a shop. trrrust me :D

MrBen
06-11-2003, 06:46 PM
*cries*

It looks like it'd be a bitch anyway

od2681
06-11-2003, 07:34 PM
haha...first time i heard anyone tryin to install alarm by himself....hahahahahahahahahahahahaha(gasping for air...oh no sides splitting...ohh too late..sides splitted...oh well) hahahahahaha

MrBen
06-11-2003, 08:34 PM
Hey, when you're desperate, you'd do anything.

88' Accord Ltd
06-11-2003, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I was going to try that when I got my EX-i, figured I could see the wires it was connected to in my Lx and bring it to my EX-i. THen I realized how much wiring was involed and that I didn't know the colors for the power door locks or how to put in a trunk pin, also the fact I was really lazy at the time. Justified me spending about $125 to have it all installed professionally. :)

TJ89Accord
06-11-2003, 09:45 PM
Its really not that hard. You need constant power, and ignition, both in ignition harness. power door lock wires are in the kick panel (but looks like you have a DX, so no power door locks).

Ah just look here, it has the wire color and the location. http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/wires2/showmodels.asp?modelid=12643&Submit1=Get+Wiring+Details

This is a very good site to check out too... http://www.the12volt.com/

Just take your time. It's really not hard to install...

tim

TJ89Accord
06-11-2003, 09:46 PM
Oh yah, get a wire tester, it will make your life much easier, and test the wires before hooking it up, because sometimes they have the wrong info on sites... good luck..

tim

POS carb
06-12-2003, 03:29 PM
it's as simple as "Do you know electronics or not"
if I showed you a circuit board would you be able to find the ground circuit or would you go :wtf:
if you saw a schematic would you know what a diode symbol looks like or what a transistor is symbolized by? If you don't know those things and have never tried any serious wiring I wouldn't recommend it. Just the way you phrased the question makes me think you are going in over your head. My first alarm took me half the damn day and it was a simple no frills alarm but I was working with incorrect information (it wasn't my car and the owner was no help) and I almost screwed up a few times until I got a test light from a neighbor and finished the damn thing by tracing wires and testing for voltage.

MrBen
06-12-2003, 03:51 PM
This is my wiring diagram:

http://www.geocities.com/benzdroid16/8040.pdf

What do you guys think? I dunno if i should tackle this or not. I have done some wiring, and my dad used to build circuit boards...

POS carb
06-12-2003, 04:07 PM
This page is not available.
We're sorry, but this page is currently unavailable for viewing.
If this site belongs to you, please read this help page for more information and assistance.

For general questions see our main help area, or search for other member pages.

MrBen
06-12-2003, 05:23 PM
Damn geocities. I'd ftp it but I dont feel like it.

TJ89Accord
06-12-2003, 07:44 PM
copy and paste it, it works. Well, it did for me. I don't think you have to worry about any diodes or resistors, the car is very simple. You probably wont even need to wire up a relay. Theres lots of good info at www.the12volt.com check it out. And if you still dont think you can do it, bring the car somewhere to have it done...

tim

MrBen
06-12-2003, 07:52 PM
Alright, where should I mount the main unit? Also, the alarm only came with one siren and I have three. How should I wire those, and where should I put them all?

toastyghost
06-12-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by GhettoAccord
Hey, when you're desperate, you'd do anything.

Even drive around with no alarm? :)

TJ89Accord
06-12-2003, 08:04 PM
mount the unit high up under the dash, put it wherever you want. 3 sirens, you could split the siren wire into 3, then run 1 wire to each siren, then ground each siren where you mount it. Put them wherever you can. But in reality I wouldn't waste my time. Just use 1. Your car will just be obnoxiously loud when a cat jumps on it and sets it off. And will draw much extra attention to your car when you arm and disarm it.

tim

MrBen
06-12-2003, 08:55 PM
I might waste my time with having two sirens, MAYBE. One for the back, one for the front. Seems kind of rediculous though. Depending on weather, I am going to attempt installing this on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your help... I'm sure I'll have many more questions :)