PDA

View Full Version : Oil in airfilter housing??

Osiris
06-11-2003, 06:04 PM
I looked in my air filter housing (above carb) today and seen fresh wet oil sitting there. I was like :wtf: and called my dad who is a jet engine and auto mechanic. He said that i may have blown piston rings. I just wanna confirm this info and if so what do i do? Rebuild engine or buy a remanned one? Need help!!!:mad:

MrBen
06-11-2003, 06:09 PM
Well I dunno about the oil thing, but I'm pretty much in the same boat-- I gotta get mine rebuilt. But I'm going to wait as long as possible.

Osiris
06-11-2003, 07:37 PM
Yea Ghetto. Im wit you. Run it till it either dies or blows up:burn: :D ...LOL

Is buying a remanned engine normal practice or rebuilt? I figure remanned ones are better cuz you dont take the chance of reusing a part that is worn.

Since the engine gotta come out. How much is it more for ummm i think the B16 engine (civic, is that right, pretty straight forward install with kit).

Not like a rock
06-11-2003, 07:50 PM
Mine does the same thing, but its EFI. If it keeps filling with lots of oil after daily driving, you probably have a piston ring problem. But if it takes a long time for oil to accumulate, check your PCV valve. If that's clogged up, the normal oil vapours from your engine will all get pushed into your air cleaning system. The PCV valve is only a couple bucks to replace and only takes 5 minutes to do.

If you have a piston ring problem, it may be similar to mine:
The car I just picked up produces way more blow by gases than it should. The previous owners didn't drive it very hard, used cold plugs, and didn't change the oil often. My mechanic told me to hold off the rebuild and just drive my normal route for a while (lots of uphill and highway) because it might just have something built up on the rings. Therefore, the rings can't expand and oil vapour slips by. He told me that drving it a little harder and using some oil detergent might solve the problem.

I've been driving it for three weeks and it seems to be getting better. But my mechanic is not a jet engine mechanic, so you might want to run that plan by your dad before trying it.

Osiris
06-11-2003, 08:35 PM
Good info Not. Ima check that stuff tommorow morning.

Oh and by the way. My dad may be a jet engine mechanic but im not. Whats oil detergent. I instantly thought of Tide:lol

Not like a rock
06-11-2003, 08:42 PM
If you're going to check that valve, get a manual. The Haynes 84-89 accord one should work for you. Oil detergent costs 3 dollars and comes in a little bottle. You can get it at most auto parts stores or even gas stations. Just dump it in with the oil.

MrBen
06-11-2003, 08:46 PM
If I were you I wouldn't get a reman engine. It's too much hassle. Get yours rebuilt and replace all the mounts while you're at it. That's my plan, but hopefully I can put it off for as long as possible, since I have 55 dollars in savings and I don't work that much.

MrBen
06-11-2003, 08:48 PM
Then again, I know my engine components are working just fine. Right now I just have some blowby with the piston rings... that's about the only problem. That and a few rust spots that will be taken care of this summer, and a dented trunk lid, which I am going to buy pretty soon.

Not like a rock
06-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Ghetto, I'm in the EXACT same boat. What are you doing about the blow by you've still got?

Some fucker hit my trunk lid in a parking lot with his truck. Hit and run. I was at the wrecker today and they have one in MINT condition (which is rare, here in north BC), but want $250.00 for it.

This is getting off topic, but the guy at the wrecker said that the lights usualy break when you take the trunk lid off the car. Do you know why this is. I was planning to just cut the wires and unbolt it. I don't see how that breaks the lights.

MrBen
06-11-2003, 09:20 PM
He might have been full of shit. I found a trunk lid here for 100 bucks but thats way too expensive for me. I'm calling around tomorrow to find one cheaper, I've heard as low as 20 bucks. I'm not getting the lights though, just the lid.

As for the blowby, I'm not doing anything. It only does it when I take off from a light or whatever. Once it starts getting bad, I guess I'll have to try and get hit so I can get a new car :)

MrBen
06-11-2003, 09:24 PM
Oh, about the trunk lid... it was my first accident-- I backed into a BMW! Ouch. My own damn fault.

Not like a rock
06-11-2003, 09:28 PM
I disconected the vent tube from the crank case to the air filter, put on more hose a sent it to a little bucket for the oil to condense and drain into. It looks hilarious, but it's better than the oil pooling in the filter casing.

Instead of doing a rebuild, I was thinking of swapping in the BT1 engine from my 86 EX-i into my 89 SE-i. That would suck because it wouldn't be as powerful, but then I would be driving and Accord SEX-i

Fortunately for me, this looks like one of those problems that will fix itself. Good luck getting hit. I always wanted my 86 to get hit. Then I got the 89 and it got hit.

xbi0s
06-11-2003, 09:50 PM
Most likely is the PCV valve

Disconnect it and shake it by your ear.. You want it to make a clicking sound...

When I put on the short ram on my intake, i had a good bit of oil in there so I just let the valve cover hose lay open... Lose a bit of oil but it isnt bad...

the PCV valve is what makes it so your engine doesnt do that and just sends combustable gasses back into your intake...

I mean shit, even my buddies '00 Civic Si had to get a new PCV valve the other day so most likely that is your problem.

Osiris
06-12-2003, 07:46 AM
Ok guyz. Ive allready got the Haynes book. (daughter tore a page out allready too, kiidddsss:huh: :D ). And i kinda see what you mean about the remanned engines. But i was reading on one site that sold them that in some cases its better to get them cuz the whole engine is remanned and not just "kitted" if you know what i mean.

My poor Accord is in bad mechanical shape:( and i dont trust these shops. One shop said i need a new carb and another said I have a blown ring.:wtf:

ACCORD EX
06-12-2003, 08:08 AM
check teh PCV valve !

MIKE

easyryder
06-12-2003, 05:41 PM
Not like a Rock Here in Alberta you can get a great decklid for about thirty bucks complete with lights....I've pulled tons apart and no they don't break IF you undo all the fasteners

A20A1
06-12-2003, 05:57 PM
hmm who's lid/tails are we talking about? well maybe he thinks the lights were hit too when the lid was smashed in the accident... so if there is a crack somewhere then the srews could be holding it together but when you remove it then it just falls apart... thats all I can think of.

The earlier 86-87 trunk lids came with a few hidden screws and I know a few places that were stumped casue they couldn't get the tails off. So I had to show them how...

This was at a junk yard where they didn't let you walk around... you had to know what you wanted and they would pull it for you. They are also a big rip off so I never really go there.

MrBen
06-12-2003, 06:19 PM
Where are the hidden screws? I'm going to be in that boat in a few days. I just found out a trunk lid costs only $15.50 from the local pull a part!