PDA

View Full Version : WOW LOW! hehehe

bobafett
06-11-2003, 06:44 PM
ok well i put on the revalved bilstien struts. and as a present to my ground controls i dropped them about as low as they can go. i am gonna drive around like this for a day or two and see how i like it. so far i think its way too bouncy, and i will prolly raise it up about 1" lol

http://www.com-tech-online.com/car/low1.jpg
http://www.com-tech-online.com/car/low2.jpg

what do you guys think?

pimp86LX
06-11-2003, 06:44 PM
can't SEEEEEEEE

bobafett
06-11-2003, 06:45 PM
REEEEFRESSSSSH they are on there

MrBen
06-11-2003, 06:51 PM
No worky.

pimp86LX
lol i see it now. That was wierd i had to close and reopen the browser :P

looks good!

Elijah
You can never be to low.The girls like the bounce.

Morpheus
06-11-2003, 06:52 PM
Too low?
I think it should go lower.

bobafett
06-11-2003, 06:54 PM
shit its way too bouncy. feels dangerous since the struts are SOOOOO stiff.. you guys have no idea. konis arent even CLOOOOOSE to the same stiffness. but youre right. amber got a kick out of the bounce, and she thinks i should keep it this low

i dunno its cool but i will have to drive with it this way for a while and get used to it. i know i will scrape like a mofo if i am not careful

MrBen
06-11-2003, 06:56 PM
Weird, works for me now. That's pretty damn low :D

bobafett
06-11-2003, 06:57 PM
yeah you cant fit a finger under there

when i lowered the car off the jacks it was higher than my last set of pics. like 2" of gap... and that was with the coilovers all the way down... so i drive like 5 miles to the store, and i get out. and my foot it already so close to the ground it was weird... then i look at the gap and i was so excited... hehe because this means i can put it higher if i need to. at first i was worried about not going any lower

Elijah
06-11-2003, 07:01 PM
I cant even get a jack under my car it's so bouncy.I just love the cornering.

bobafett
06-11-2003, 07:02 PM
uck... i doubt i will be able to get a jack under mine now... what have i done! heehhe

88LXi68
06-11-2003, 07:06 PM
Thats low?? :wtf: This is my GCs at about 3/4 of the way down and the ride wasnt bad being this low. When I had the tokicos on the ride was absolute CRAP. Once I put the Konis on it was much more settled and comfortable. Cmon Boba LOWER IT SOME MORE! :)

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/210000-210999/210989_12_full.jpg

notice the tire
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/210000-210999/210989_128_full.jpg

bobafett
06-11-2003, 07:07 PM
wtf i think i need to have someone who "knows" ride it my car and tell me if its crappy or not. cuase it feels really crappy. but it felt great before... hehe then again its like the only lowered car i have ridden in. so i dont have much to compare it to! :)

ps your right that is LOW! but its all relative! ;)

88LXi68
06-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by bobafett
wtf i think i need to have someone who "knows" ride it my car and tell me if its crappy or not. cuase it feels really crappy. but it felt great before... hehe then again its like the only lowered car i have ridden in. so i dont have much to compare it to! :)

ps your right that is LOW! but its all relative! ;)

feels crappy because it is lower, but this expected in ANY set up. the more you lower a car on any type of combo the rougher it will be. I can honestly say there is no bounce in my ride, but I would definitley not object to getting my Konis revalved and shortened. BTW, once my b18 is in I will raise my car up to about where you have your's because of the damn JDM 4-1 header :(

HostileJava
06-11-2003, 07:49 PM
How low are the gc supposed to drop the car?

bobafett
06-11-2003, 07:50 PM
0-4"

Mike89Accordcom
06-11-2003, 11:06 PM
Looks good man. Mine is low like that too. I just have springs and rides quite fine actually. Sure it could ride better, but I'm fine with it. If it was that bad or important I'd had struts a long time ago......

bobafett
06-11-2003, 11:06 PM
yeah i am gonna try it out with just the konis on and see how it feels... i may go back to konis. i think the bilstiens may just be a little too stiff for my blood!

markmdz89hatch
06-12-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Mike89Accordcom
Looks good man. Mine is low like that too. I just have springs and rides quite fine actually. Sure it could ride better, but I'm fine with it. If it was that bad or important I'd had struts a long time ago......

Mike, I thought you had bought Koni's a long time ago to install on your car?

Anyway, Boba, one thing I'm confused about is how you're describing the ride. You mentioned that the 'steins are super stiff, but also say that the car is bouncy. With super stiff dampers, and fairly agressive springs (ur G/C c/o's) you should have a very unforgiving, hard ride. You hit a bump, you feel it, it should feel as though you're riding on something just short of 4 rocks for wheels&tires. The ride should actually be fairly reminisant of an old wooden roller coaster. I love the ride height it's at now, and would give anything to have that suspension setup that you're running now. Great job on the car! With all the mods you've got going, I'm just getting more and more inspired to re-start the work on the hatch and bring her back from what she's become.

bobafett
06-12-2003, 08:00 AM
thats what i am saying....

it IS weird. i know what the soft bounce is, which is REALLY annoying. because you are just gliding and it moved up and down the whole time.

and i know the regular stiff ride, thats how it was with GC's and konis. no bounce, it felt like i was riding on 4 mostly hard rocks! and didnt annoy me

but even though i have the stiff struts (its REALLLLLY STIFF! ITS CRAZY STIFF!) i think the springs are so low that its too much for the struts. maybe i just need to drive it and break it in...

but its a sharp bounce back. not a soft floaty ride. maybe its the roads... but tis really annoying. its a more forceful bounceback....

amber says my head looks like a boggle head when driving...lol

i hope i inspire you to work on the hatch! they rock!!

goldyaccord
06-12-2003, 08:36 AM
hehehehe... Chris, you are having a problem if you cant get any lower than in that pic. I could get fender to just about touch the rim.. not tire... RIM.

What your experiencing is a hard rock ride :) your just feeling all the bumps in the road..... that's normal for a stiff ride. NOw, if you were to get some funky rebound bouncing. then the shocks arent up to task but seems like it compresses and then shoots right back up right? no aftermath bouncing?

If you dont want them Revalved struts... Give em to me :)

89AccordLvr
06-12-2003, 09:31 AM
i am plannin to get gc's but i dont want to spend $425 for a set a 4 of koni's , which is more important to put a pair of koni's on the front or the rear? then ill get KYB or Tokico's for the other pair.

goldyaccord
06-12-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by 89AccordLvr
i am plannin to get gc's but i dont want to spend $425 for a set a 4 of koni's , which is more important to put a pair of koni's on the front or the rear? then ill get KYB or Tokico's for the other pair.

You will need the Koni's or revalved Bilestiens or something that is Equivalent.
You'll be okay running tokico's in the rear. Do not use KYB.

bobafett
06-12-2003, 09:42 AM
konis are most critical in the front. in the rear i STILL just have tokicos... thats why i havent dropped it as low in the rear...
and get tokicos over KYB struts. kyb is OEM...

i loved the ride with ground controls and koni's. ps, i can get coilovers for $135 that will fit. they are TOMS motorsports the guys at that store like them better than GC. and they all run that brand.

btw josh, there is no REBOUNDING bounce. but everything on the road bounces me around... it doesnt continue to bounce, its just that everything jars so it feels bouncy.

maybe i will just have to get used to it. :) cause man when i do hit bumps its like i am running on 4 hard ass rocks... so i know its working in that department! :)

89AccordLvr
06-12-2003, 09:51 AM
my brother has TOM's but i cant find it for our Accord's so which one's fit bobafett

bobafett
06-12-2003, 09:56 AM
88-00 civic... i held them up and compared them to accord coilovers, and i couldnt tell a difference. i may buy some for ambers car in a while, and when i do i will let you know wether or not they work FOR SURE. but from a visual check they look 100% the same....

goldyaccord
06-12-2003, 09:56 AM
konis are most critical in the front. in the rear i STILL just have tokicos... thats why i havent dropped it as low in the rear...
and get tokicos over KYB struts. kyb is OEM...

i loved the ride with ground controls and koni's. ps, i can get coilovers for $135 that will fit. they are TOMS motorsports the guys at that store like them better than GC. and they all run that brand.

btw josh, there is no REBOUNDING bounce. but everything on the road bounces me around... it doesnt continue to bounce, its just that everything jars so it feels bouncy.

maybe i will just have to get used to it. :) cause man when i do hit bumps its like i am running on 4 hard ass rocks... so i know its working in that department! :)

Okay! Now think of this.... I'm going to be running higher spring rates on the GC's. I want Race car ride :d well I'm upping the rates anyways becuase of the height i'll be running wont leave much room for compression or I'd bottom out on the strut.

bobafett
06-12-2003, 10:03 AM
yeah i know what your saying. i hope you buy an ASS PAD! what rates are you thinking about doing?

these bilsteins i think are shortened. cause they were harder to install. lol

i may actually raise the spring rates to 450/350 because i doubt amber will want springs that stiff. so i may just give them to her and she can have my 350/250 ground controls...

89AccordLvr
06-12-2003, 10:09 AM
what doest that 450/350 mean and how good or bad is it cuz i found these coilovers with the same rates.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33582&item=2418946925

goldyaccord
06-12-2003, 10:09 AM
yeah i know what your saying. i hope you buy an ASS PAD! what rates are you thinking about doing?

these bilsteins i think are shortened. cause they were harder to install. lol

i may actually raise the spring rates to 450/350 because i doubt amber will want springs that stiff. so i may just give them to her and she can have my 350/250 ground controls...

Right now, I'm planning on 500/400.. I plan to keep all fours tucked just a tad. no gap what's so ever. and run revalved Bilsteins. Keep in mind, the Freeways around here are sorta smooth compared to Oregon. I love to run on the freeway. I know it will be pretty darn harsh just driving around the city but it'll be worth it when i'm out on the freeway and on the track.

Dont forget about that turbo too :D

goldyaccord
06-12-2003, 10:14 AM
what doest that 450/350 mean and how good or bad is it cuz i found these coilovers with the same rates.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33582&item=2418946925

the spring rates tell you how stiff a spring is. the higher rate, the less your car would compress. Then you need the struts revalved to control that spring so it doesnt start jiggle around. the Stock GC's are 350/250 350 front 250 rear. when you buy GC's you can also specifiy what spring rate you want at no additional cost. :)

bobafett
06-12-2003, 10:17 AM
danm thats cheap. i would buy a set just to test them out! lol

if they dont work, find a local with a 4g and pawn them off to him for $50....

89AccordLvr
06-12-2003, 10:19 AM
ok so if i get these 450/350 rates what should my revalved bilsteins be numbered at so it can help

bobafett
06-12-2003, 10:24 AM
450/350 ... :) just tell them you are using linear spring rate coilovers, with 450 pound front springs, and 350 pound rear springs. and they will revalve the strut cylinder appropriately.

but if i were u i would ride in a car with suspension like that abefore you dump $1000 into it!

trust me its not a pleasant ride until u get used to it. and even then it can be miserable. bum a ride with JAUN (oss) i think he's prolly got some suspension mods...

i hate my ride now. although i AM starting to come to terms with it.

goldyaccord
06-12-2003, 10:24 AM
ok so if i get these 450/350 rates what should my revalved bilsteins be numbered at so it can help

when you take those bilstiens to get revalved.... tell them that the spring rates are what ever you spec them to be. They will then know what to do..

That's how I understand it from Jim.

goldyaccord
06-12-2003, 10:26 AM
450/350 ... :)

but if i were u i would ride in a car with suspension like that abefore you dump $1000 into it!

trust me its not a pleasant ride until u get used to it. and even then it can be miserable. bum a ride with JAUN (oss) i think he's prolly got some suspension mods...

i hate my ride now. although i AM starting to come to terms with it.

Ah.. that's sooo sweeet.. Becoming ONE with the Suspension.. aaawwwww..:tongue:

bobafett
06-12-2003, 10:30 AM
josh that pic in your sig would look better IMO with more color back in it!

but its a cool pic of your car. :)

even when you rode in my car u said it was floaty. that was with h&r's and koni/tokico it has gotten a SHITLOAD stiffer...

i wonder what the rates for h&r's are. must be 275/250 or something

goldyaccord
06-12-2003, 10:40 AM
josh that pic in your sig would look better IMO with more color back in it!

but its a cool pic of your car. :)

even when you rode in my car u said it was floaty. that was with h&r's and koni/tokico it has gotten a SHITLOAD stiffer...

i wonder what the rates for h&r's are. must be 275/250 or something

The look I was wanting for the Sig was... somthing that says Oldschool and sorta dark, but then I added the light effect to shed alittle light. It's an Angel now :D J/K!

Yep your car was riding alittle weird in rears. had more bounce, the front seemed to be okay. but now that you have the GC's and Bilsteins.. it would be a drastic difference :)

kicker1_solo
06-12-2003, 10:54 PM
wtf i think i need to have someone who "knows" ride it my car and tell me if its crappy or not. gonna be at the meet next weekend? ;)

bobafett
06-12-2003, 11:44 PM
nah i have work until 6pm and at 730 am on sunday morning! :(

A20A1
06-13-2003, 12:01 AM
I bottom out if I go too low.. :(

Coroncho80
06-13-2003, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by 88LXi68
Thats low?? :wtf:
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/210000-210999/210989_12_full.jpg

notice the tire
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/210000-210999/210989_128_full.jpg

Danm Steve, that is low. Remember the CT meeting? you and Mark trying to come up the little hill ............... Crazyyyy :D

Well, when I first got my teg lowerd, it felt kind of weird because it was more of a tough ride but it just takes some used to it. The handling is wayyyyyyy much better and I can take curves at higher speed than when I had the stock suspension.

As you can see here, my teg is low enough for me for oviously, not for Steve! :lol

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/339000-339999/339458_53_full.jpg

On this picture, you can see how low is to the ground. Speed bumps and pot holes are my worst enemies. I already have two bubles on one of my tires :mad: and I haven't gotten the bumper that I want. Imagine when I get it; I would have to raise it a little bit. Not too much thought. I love that low look :D

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/339000-339999/339458_54_full.jpg

Well, there are my .02

goldyaccord
06-13-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by A20A1
I bottom out if I go too low.. :(

Then the solution is to up the spring rates and revalve accordly! :D

89AccordLvr
06-13-2003, 11:04 AM
thanx for all the help

adams86lxi
06-13-2003, 11:39 AM
looks good!:)

87lxi accord
06-15-2003, 11:40 AM
not low enough in the back

bobafett
06-15-2003, 04:55 PM
tokicos in the back! :)

i dont want to blow them out. plus i am raising up the front hopefully tongiht to see how it rides at a more reasonable height.

i have a feeling i want the konis back on. i just liked the feel a whole lot more. :)

Jims 86LXI HB
06-16-2003, 07:45 AM
Chris the reason your bouncing on the revalved Bilstiens is this. When you drop coilovers you increase their spring rates. So by dropping them that low you've increased their effective spring rates much higher than what I had them revalved for. And remember Goldy installed special stiffer front springs with his ground controls, I'll bet the spirng rate at that ride height is 650lbs+. The Bilsteins were revalved for around 400lbs rates.
You can do one of 3 things.

1. Raise it up to bring yourself to a spring rate that the struts can handle.
2. Do the brake hanger/ pinchfork mod's and lower the front 1" and theirby raise the front up a extra inch to lower the front spring rate accordingly. Added benefit would be that you've also given yourself a extra inch of strut travel to.
3. Spend $110 and buy the same spring stiffness, but one's that are shorter. That way you'd be at allot lower spring rate inspite of the drop. Ground-Control offers a ton of those springs to choose from, you'd be able to get one that would still offer the proper stiffness when compressed to keep you off the bump stops.

goldyaccord
06-16-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB
Chris the reason your bouncing on the revalved Bilstiens is this. When you drop coilovers you increase their spring rates. So by dropping them that low you've increased their effective spring rates much higher than what I had them revalved for. And remember Goldy installed special stiffer front springs with his ground controls, I'll bet the spirng rate at that ride height is 650lbs+. The Bilsteins were revalved for around 400lbs rates.
You can do one of 3 things.

1. Raise it up to bring yourself to a spring rate that the struts can handle.
2. Do the brake hanger/ pinchfork mod's and lower the front 1" and theirby raise the front up a extra inch to lower the front spring rate accordingly. Added benefit would be that you've also given yourself a extra inch of strut travel to.
3. Spend $110 and buy the same spring stiffness, but one's that are shorter. That way you'd be at allot lower spring rate inspite of the drop. Ground-Control offers a ton of those springs to choose from, you'd be able to get one that would still offer the proper stiffness when compressed to keep you off the bump stops.

:huh: You telling me as I drop, the spring rates go up? Wieeeerd. I thought that doesnt happen since your not compressing any heavier than the Car wieght. you just moving the height.

Also Jim, I returned those 500lb front springs. So I"m not quite sure how you got the 650+ rates. Could you explain this so called fact? Chris has the Original 350/250 springs. Not the 500/350's.

I returned the 500's to Ground Control becuase the Spring was too tall uncompressed. I couldnt get the drop I wanted. Unless I chopped them but no way. When I order again.. I'll get the 6 inch free length instead of I think the 8 inch that I had gotten.

NeubJ
06-16-2003, 09:42 AM

what do you guys think?

Sad thing is they make all these springs and coilovers but dont give us very many struts to choose from that will handle them.

I personally like the front wheel gap-If you raise it it will look too much like stock-IMO

bobafett
06-16-2003, 03:55 PM
interesting... well i sure as hell dont want a harsher ride than what i have now... in fact i may even go back to koni's we will see.

hopefully tonight i will raise the car up to a more permanent height and see how it rides...

thx for the info though jim.

Low Tek
07-03-2003, 08:34 PM
how can you get this effect.. mine has a gap in the front... did you lower it more in the front

BITESIZE
07-03-2003, 08:52 PM
Nice hatchie, keep up the good work. Hatchies are the only way to go.