PDA

View Full Version : Help I Want To Tint Windows!

King_Geez
06-12-2003, 04:55 AM
:stick:

Hey i need suggestions on tinting my Windows!!! Is it easy ?

Should i attempt it? And is it worth it doing it myself or should i hire someone to do it.... .

The thing is it about 100.00 bucks to do it myself and about 250.00 to \hire someone to do it.

Dan

89accord_lxi_coupe
06-12-2003, 05:44 AM
i've asked this same thing before, and the best i heard about was that 3m window tinting. it will be a little difficult, especially when doing the rear windshield. if you have the coupe, then doing the small triangular windows could be a pain. this was the stuff i was told, and also if you can get it done by a shop. like i said this is what i was told, but keep checking back and find out what the others have to say. they would probably know better than me. good luck either way.

King_Geez
06-12-2003, 06:40 AM
Thanks dude!

I will see what the others say when they post if i get anymore answers back.
But thanks dude for the insite.
Dan

BDaccordguy
06-12-2003, 06:44 AM
keep searching around for better prices, when i bought my car, the guy gave me all the reciepts for stuff that he had done to the car, including the window tint one. The tint cost him $180 and it was done really dark (dont know the percent). All of the rear windows were done, a four inch strip across the front side windows and a nice four or five inch strip across the windshield. So if you do a lil searching around for price, u should be able to find something cheaper than $250

iloveJDMblackrims69
06-12-2003, 08:54 AM
250............... whoever wants 250 should be slapped.....

Mike89Accordcom
06-12-2003, 09:22 AM
Get it done somewhere. I was lucky because my good buddys dad owns a huge car place that tints, does wings, bodykits. But most places charge around $175-$225.....

Justin86
06-12-2003, 09:42 AM
The place I will get it done will do a 30% tint for $300 but they also have a life time guarante. I had friends get there tiint there and they all said it was worth the price.

88 Accord DX
06-12-2003, 09:44 AM
do not do it yourself. it will be purple or bubble up. get it perfessionally done. get 30% in the rear or even go with reflective tint.

Osiris
06-12-2003, 09:48 AM
If your not a professional then doin it yourself may cost you in the long run. It can be done tho with commen sense, research and plenty of patience. Go to an auto parts store and look at the instructions on the back to get an idea of the job you have to do.

But the other guyz are right. Your much better off payin a professional. That way you get "garanteed work"

King_Geez
06-12-2003, 10:06 AM
Cool guys i think i might just take it to a place!
I guess its better than doing a Sh*t ass job on it and be dissapointed right!

Osiris
06-12-2003, 12:45 PM
Beleive me. You get what you pay for. Even if you did do a good job yourself, you dont have the experience and the quality wouldnt be there. Next summer your tint will be peelin off and that another $100-$200 down the toilet:toilet:

89accordLXiAllAudio
06-12-2003, 02:04 PM
yeah definately pay someone (not your friend, a shop) to do it. The do it yourselfs always always always peel off. They do it in the speed shop in my town for $125 for a 2 door car. look around, someone will do it cheaper than 200

blazin3gen
06-12-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by 89accordLXiAllAudio
(not your friend,...)

unless your friend is a pro at it :D

blazin3gen
06-12-2003, 03:31 PM
ey guys what do u think of this????bullshit?? anyways its a good price check it out

http://www.diytint.com/

MrBen
06-12-2003, 03:39 PM
Do NOT do it yourself... it will look like shit. And don't even second guess me. It will. Pay someone who knows what theyre doing to do it for you. This guy wanted 120 to do all my windows and I think 100 to do my back.

ghost_ny
06-12-2003, 03:54 PM
As a certified installer that little kit is cool, it has all the things you need. but anyway as for doing it yourself try one window if you dont like it, get it done by a pro.
If you decide to do it use a little soap just enough to cover the bottom of the bottle with, and the rest with water in a spray bottle.
Spray the window the whole window, and as you peal the plastic off the tint spray the tint so the whole thing is wet.
Now to get the water out you need a squeege. you stroke the squeege from the center of the window out to get all the water out
Now to make sure all the water is out you look from the outside of the window and see if there are any bobbles
If not any bubbles, you are good.
Now if you do all the windows but dont want to do the rear. then have a pro do that, beats paying whatever you pay for the whole thing.

Like I said try a window that looks easy. If you get good enough you could do small side jobs

87Hybrid
06-12-2003, 05:22 PM
If you realy want to try it go here (http://www.tintdude.com/)

ghost_ny
06-12-2003, 05:46 PM
nice one dude, very helpful

Pntbal
06-12-2003, 07:25 PM
go have someone else do it. when you go out and get the tint you do yourself it turns out to look purple but if you have someone pro do it then it actually looks like tint!

gman
06-12-2003, 08:15 PM
here take it from me I have tryed doing it by myself with the walmart tint kit. anyways I did two of the windows and it came out like shit .but then I tryed one window with a friend and it came out good ,we used a hair dryer to heat the glass and make the air bubbles go away and it works good.so what I am telling u is that you should get some help from a friend and it will make the job so much easier trust me ! I used the 5% limo tint.

goldyaccord
06-12-2003, 08:17 PM
I got all my windows done for 115. but There's alot of business here In AZ :)

dXsquared
06-12-2003, 08:22 PM
he is in canada... so 250 is like 175 USD

Travis

stizle
06-12-2003, 08:46 PM
i paid 180 but only cause i knew the people doin it it would cost bout 200 in PA. Be careful though i got the whole car done in 6% tint and in less then a week the cops pulled me over for it and i had 5 days to take it off. i put 13% on now it is stil to dark for the law but they are gonna have to deal wit it cause i aint goin no lighter!!

ProtoVivanta
06-12-2003, 09:50 PM
I was thinking... is there a time whens there too much tint? Like that it starts to effect your vision? I've never driven a car with tint so excuse me for the feeble question... but whats the happy medium of good sight and good style?

MrBen
06-12-2003, 10:21 PM
Well my mom's car had tint put in it by the dealer a few days after they got it. You can barely see out the back window because everything is so blurry. Not sure why because all the tint looks just great, and it's not purple.

Osiris
06-13-2003, 09:30 AM
ProtoVivanta I was thinking... is there a time whens there too much tint? Like that it starts to effect your vision? I've never driven a car with tint so excuse me for the feeble question... but whats the happy medium of good sight and good style?

Yea too dark can affect your vision but saves gas on a/c. LOL. Seriously tho, a good medium is the legal limit which i beleive is something like 35%. Any one feel free to correct me if im wrong.

King_Geez
06-14-2003, 03:13 AM
Thanks Guys i think i might try one Window myself and see how it goes if it is easy i might do them all!

But i really appreciate the advise.
Dan

danronian
07-31-2003, 09:08 PM
At first I tried the back window, got mad and gave up. Later my friend did his whole cavalier wagon except for the rear and he really got good at it. So I went to walmart, bought the "better" tint which says it won't fade purple or gets scratced easily, and so far the job looks professional. All it takes is practice, I just hope the stuff doesn't peel off. But like the instructions say, maybe the people who's tint peeled used regular glass cleaner to clean it instead of the water it recommends.

*update*
I finished all of the windows with 35% tint except for the rear and front windows with a total investment of $20. It looks amazingly professional, there is not even one bubble or screw up. We messed up on one window but I just threw the tint out bought more and tried again. I am going to get the rear professionally done though, which sucks b/c my one friend around here with a 3g got his rear window done and it cost him $80. I'll post some close up pictures and overall pics when I get the rear done.

I think all it really takes is patience and practice, after we did three windows the last window took like ten minutes and actually turned out the best. I would suggest that if anyone wants tint to do it yourself but practice a few times before you actually do it permanently.

modu03
08-02-2003, 12:37 AM
I did my windows in a 2.5% limo tint... it came out pretty well... but it was a major pain in the ass... if you've got the money go for the professional install.

I paid about $40 for my tint and about $5 for the install kit.

of course this is an illegal tint %, but the cops around here are too busy chasing all the drunks to pay attention to me.

chico... party central!!!

Bloodlust
08-02-2003, 07:34 AM
Yeah I would defintely end up having it done by someone else. That way if anything goes wrong with it you can rip them a new asshole instead of pounding your head against a wall :eek: . I am right about to get mine done and they said it would be $200 bucks to do mine, and I have an 89 Accord LXi Coupe so it would be a pain in the ass so I figured what the hell, spend the extra 100 bucks for less hassle and the warranty.

danronian
08-02-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Bloodlust
Yeah I would defintely end up having it done by someone else. That way if anything goes wrong with it you can rip them a new asshole instead of pounding your head against a wall :eek: . I am right about to get mine done and they said it would be $200 bucks to do mine, and I have an 89 Accord LXi Coupe so it would be a pain in the ass so I figured what the hell, spend the extra 100 bucks for less hassle and the warranty.

If I were you I would do the side windows myself and get the back window done for less then $100. The maximum it would cost in materials and tools is $20, possibly $30 if you can't get the hang of it the first time around. If you just take the door panels off and take your time, it's hard to screw it up. I'll take pictures of mine to show you my first try at it on my accord after the cloudiness goes away after a few days. Every time I get in I'm amazed I did it myself. And then again, if you don't like how the first one turned out, you lose ten dollars but have the possibilty of saving $100. Thats the main reason I did it myself, I don't have the money to get it done professionally but I still wanted it a little darker in the 3g, and it ended up real well.