PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Car is dying!!! Idles then dies!??

dec1184
06-12-2003, 06:40 AM
-k- guyz something is wrong with my car. Last night after a got out of work to drive my car it started up just fine but would just turn on then die. So this morning i started it up and it held a high idle (2K) for about five minutes to warm itself up then sputtered down until it died. Sometimes it will just die or barely hold up and idle. What could this be. Oh and i heard some sort of buzzing or something coming from around the gas tank is this the prblem? I also just put a new cap, rotor, plugs and wires on it. Why would my car just all of the sudden be acting like this? please help!!!:wtf:

Not like a rock
06-12-2003, 07:02 AM
Did you check your timing? I don't know if replacing the distributor cap or rotor would affect that, but mine used to do the same thing sometimes until I adjusted the timing. Have a look at your air filter too. That's all I can think of.

I don't know too much about sensors, but I'm sure someone will reply about them.

ACCORD EX
06-12-2003, 08:06 AM
check for vacuum leaks ?

MIKE

88Burner
06-12-2003, 11:29 AM
About the buzzing from your gas tank... that's your fuel pump, which is normal. How's your electrical system? Windows roll up and down at normal speed? Headlights normal?

It's almost impossible for someone to be able to pick the component or components that are causing the problem. The LX has so many variables... you could have a malfunctioning accessory solenoid activating making it so lean that it dies, vacuum leaks, etc. It doesn't seem like a fuel system problem since it fast idles okay. It's a shame to just replace stuff and hope it fixes it.

POS carb
06-12-2003, 04:45 PM
yea usually that's some sort of vacuum leak. make sure oyu didn't reverse the distrib advance hoses (replacing cap/rotor does not change the timing, only removing the body)

Silver86LX
06-12-2003, 07:15 PM
Yea it sounds like a vacuum leak. I had a similar problem after I cleaned my carb the other day. The car would run fine but when I came to a stop it would stall. Turned out that one of my vacuum hoses came undone. I just poped it back into place and runs fine now.

SupaNam
06-13-2003, 09:22 AM
yea, my car has the same problem... but it's weird, cuz it only happens on cold starts. once the car is warmed up, i don't have any issues... but my guess is a vaccum leak somewhere... and i know that my car is old, and the piston rings are pretty shot, so maybe my car's just choking on unburned fuel.

AkDale
02-29-2004, 07:27 PM
-k- guyz something is wrong with my car. Last night after a got out of work to drive my car it started up just fine but would just turn on then die. So this morning i started it up and it held a high idle (2K) for about five minutes to warm itself up then sputtered down until it died. Sometimes it will just die or barely hold up and idle. What could this be. Oh and i heard some sort of buzzing or something coming from around the gas tank is this the prblem? I also just put a new cap, rotor, plugs and wires on it. Why would my car just all of the sudden be acting like this? please help!!!:wtf:

My engine is also doing this.
Did you ever find out what was causing this problem?

AkDale
03-02-2004, 05:24 PM
I just fixed mine----Took the carb off to uncap the mixture screw.
Put it back on-- started it---Same problem.
Turned the mixture screw out about 3-1/2 turns until the engine speed did not increase any more.
Lowered the idle with the throttle stop screw to 750 rpm.
Smoothe idle--great low, mid and high speed.
Problem solved!!!!
wHAT A WONDERFUL THING. :cool2: :cool2: :bow: