PDA

View Full Version : Tokico struts on the lowered car!!

stizle
06-12-2003, 08:28 PM
I am goin to school in the fall for mechanics so for now i dont know or do to much wit the honda myself!! I take my car to a shop near my place that i trust. They had lowered my car for me and everything but i didnt get struts for it!

I have adjustable coilovers, my ????? is that i had told them that it bounces to much and they said that the tokico struts would take care of that. I asked them bout koni's and they said that the tokico's were the struts for the job.

What do you think is this gonna work for me or should i just go somewhere else??

dXsquared
06-12-2003, 08:48 PM
dont get tokicos... get KONI;s

they prolly sell TOKICO's so they want you to get some

Travis

AZmike
06-12-2003, 11:17 PM
If you're really desperate Tokicos might work ok in the rear only, depending on your spring rate. If not, I'd say save up the extra $80 and get all Konis--I'm glad I did. Konis are really the only option outside of revalving a bilstein to stop the bounce in the front.

stizle
06-12-2003, 11:30 PM
so the tokico's wont work in the front at all? i am tired of bouncin around in the car but my man told me that they would be just fine, he is lyin?? anyone no from experience?? the money isnt an issue just want to be sure that he is wrong! dont want to break tha upcoming kit when the car bounces!

AZmike
06-12-2003, 11:38 PM
I can't remember exactly who had tried Tokicos in the front with stiffer lowering springs and was disappointed, but that's what I'm used to reading. Put another way, I can't think of anyone that was impressed with how Tokicos worked in the front and had a car that didn't bounce.

If money isn't an issue, wait for Konis to become available and get four of them.

stizle
06-12-2003, 11:45 PM
Wait fo rKoni's to become available?

Are they not easy to get or sumptin??

If so how long of a wait would it be??

AZmike
06-13-2003, 10:04 AM
Most places are out of the front Konis and expect to have them sometime in the next month (shox.com and tirerack.com).

stizle
06-13-2003, 10:11 AM
hmmmmmmm thats sux the kit is here i just got to get it painted there is no way i am goin to put that on without shox. I dont want to ruinit!!

Chrome_thangs
06-14-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by stizle
so the tokico's wont work in the front at all? i am tired of bouncin around in the car but my man told me that they would be just fine, he is lyin?? anyone no from experience?? the money isnt an issue just want to be sure that he is wrong! dont want to break tha upcoming kit when the car bounces!
I know from expierence!!! I tied to go the cheap route and i seriously regreted it the ride was bouncy to the point your scared to drive very fast unless it was in a straight line. Took the Tokicos off and put Koni reds on and it's beautiful:D Save the money and do it right the first time!!

87AccordsterLx
06-14-2003, 11:05 AM
Yes... tokicos are NOT the springs to counter bouce. You need Koni's FOR SURE. You can put Tokicos in the rear if you are desperate to save cash but you will not be happy. I think 4 Koni's run $436 at shox.com

stizle
06-14-2003, 04:07 PM
Well damn is it that bad.

I think i heard enough and i will go with the Koni's but is it that hard to get them people saying that they arent in stock!!

how much bounce is goin to be left after the Koni's are installed??

87AccordsterLx
06-14-2003, 05:32 PM
Well damn is it that bad.

I think i heard enough and i will go with the Koni's but is it that hard to get them people saying that they arent in stock!!

how much bounce is goin to be left after the Koni's are installed??

Your suspension should be better then stock w/ reg springs...

stizle
06-14-2003, 07:57 PM
Word ! aight then we'll see i'll keep the progress posted!!

stizle
06-14-2003, 07:58 PM
Actually ran into my mechanic today and he said it again that the struts basically do the same thing, he said that the Koni's are just more expensive but whatever i want to do. He told me that i would just be spendin more money. Well i guess im just gonna be spendin more money then.

I want the shit done right the first time so im gonna get the Koni's

87AccordsterLx
06-14-2003, 09:32 PM
LOL!!! He doesnt know much if he believes that... there is a HUGE difference...

AZmike
06-14-2003, 11:05 PM
Be sure that the Konis' rebound is set properly before they're installed. Do you know the rates of your new springs?

carotman
06-15-2003, 05:33 AM
I have tokico in the front,,, they actually are the same as the koni......NOT They SUCK, they're pure crap on a lowered car. they would be ok on stock springs but that's all....

Do not get Tokicos in the front...

HostileJava
06-15-2003, 10:15 AM
Do what they say man, I konw you don't want to wait but it's worth it. I just bought lowering springs from some one here and ordered the rear koni's with a seperated back order for the fronts. You don't want me to be able to corner faster then you do ya!?!

stizle
06-15-2003, 06:22 PM
i dont know the rates of the coilovers! they are the new Ractive coilovers! is there a way i could find out without askin the man at the shop???

dXsquared
06-15-2003, 06:33 PM
it might say on the spring! like a number in the high hundreds

Travis

stizle
06-15-2003, 09:44 PM
If i do recall correctly i remember seeing a 500 on the one spring while the shop was changing my rotors! Does that sound correct??

What do u mean by make sure the koni's rebound is set properly???

BITESIZE
06-22-2003, 09:48 PM
I have Tokicos all round with EIbach's, My car's ride is sweet!

AZmike
06-22-2003, 10:12 PM
What do u mean by make sure the koni's rebound is set properly???

The rebound damping is adjustable on Koni dampers. Rebound damping keeps the energy stored in a compressed spring from being relased all at once--it slows the extension of the spring after the wheel hits a bump (or is compressed from cornering, etc.). Without enough rebound damping a stiff spring can push the wheel back out fast enough that it causes the car to bounce.

Once you figure out the spring rates are your konis arrive I can get you the contact information for a tech that can make a recommendation for a rebound setting that should work well for you. If your springs are too stiff, even set at maximum the konis might not be able to provide sufficient damping.

Hash_man_Se_i
06-22-2003, 11:23 PM
Ya, i was kinda thinkin about lowering the Se-i at the end of the summer when I have money, and I have tokicos already installed, and I was thinking of only lowering it about an inch... will my ride be ok? and I want performance lowering springs because i want to get into autocross

dXsquared
06-22-2003, 11:31 PM
hmm... you will definetly need some konis for the front... and i would go with the SUSPENSION TECHNIQUES springs... they are a pretty small drop and fairly stiff

Travis

AZmike
06-23-2003, 08:46 AM
For autocross the dampers make a huge difference. Konis in the front would be the bare minimum just to prevent bounce. Your Tokicos would work ok with one of the softer lowering springs in the rear, but if you really plan to be competitive you should plan on getting Konis for the rear as well.