PDA

View Full Version : NOS or Turbo?

Osiris
06-12-2003, 09:15 PM
Ive been doin some research and come to an obvious conclusion that NOS is cheaper. But i know from expereince that cheaper usually isnt good.

What are the effects of Nos and Turbo on your engine. How will it effect durability?

I was lookin at a NOS fogger kit for my carbed LX which is around $600. Worth the advertised 50 - 150 hp gain or not?

89AccordLvr
06-12-2003, 09:32 PM
if u have the money and time to save turbo is much better then u get nos to help with your turbo lag, there's no question that turbo is a far better choice, it all depend on you devotion to ur car on how much money you want to spend rebuilding it and how much time your willing to wait.

A20A1
06-12-2003, 09:38 PM
Iwouldn't get either... but if I had to choose it would be turbo... no need for refills...

88 Accord DX
06-12-2003, 09:50 PM
i would take turbo. nitrous is way too rough on your engine and its too unpredictable. turbo is the way to go man.

Elijah
06-12-2003, 11:31 PM
Turbo I got NX and I'am happy with it but I'am going turbo and nos soon.

pric
06-13-2003, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by Osiris
Ive been doin some research and come to an obvious conclusion that NOS is cheaper. But i know from expereince that cheaper usually isnt good.

What are the effects of Nos and Turbo on your engine. How will it effect durability?

I was lookin at a NOS fogger kit for my carbed LX which is around $600. Worth the advertised 50 - 150 hp gain or not?

It depends on what you are planning on doing with this car. If you want an everyday driver and just the ocassional race at the track or the beat down on the street I would go with the N2O. Yeah you have to refill it but you also have to refill your gas tank to it's not that big of a deal. Plus less than 10% of the time do you ever have the TB WAO. So whats the point of spending all that money to do a turbo just to have to rebuild it after it burns up. Not to mention the amount of time it takes to tune a turbo. N2O wears down the motor no more or less than a turbo plus it only puts stress on that motor when you use it unlike a turbo. Now if you plan on AutoXing than it would be better to have the turbo. N2O best bang for the buck.

Osiris
06-13-2003, 05:23 AM
Thx guyz. especially pric for the info. My car will be a daily driver and want something for shits and grins and to beat out the occasional ass hole that thinks that if it aint a civic or eclipse it has to be a POS. Ive read thru the turbo post. That seems like more work than i want.

If i get the NOS. I about how long will the engine last from a rebuild. About 200,000 again, 100,000 or alot less? Cuz if its just gonna "kill" the engine. I dont want it. Ill go with naturally aspirated or forced air induction.

bobafett
06-13-2003, 05:57 AM
i cant speak from experience. but i am sure it all has to do with maintenence. if you setup proper engine management, and build the engine a little when you rebuild, i dont see why you couldnt get another 100,000, but 200,000 on a nitrous or turbo motor really is asking alot. then again this depends on the jet of "nAAAWSZ" that you use, or the ammount of boost that you run. but realize that when you are forcing air into and engine and doubling its power things WILL break more often, and things will wear out more often. its a simple fact of life. if you build an engine for nitrous, and have good management, as long as you stay on top of maintenence you shouldnt have a problem, with like up to 70shot of n20 and 10psi on a turbo setup. realize the engine has to be prepared for this as well... and you will need all the supporting mods so that you get the full potential of the nitrous

i dont know what mods you have, but you will want a high flow cat or test pipe, 2.25-2.5" exhaust and a free flowing muffler. also possibly some form of intkae, then again i think you are carb. so maybe dcoe webber setup would be more appropriate. from what i have gathered, the stock carb is useless..

good luck and happy forced induction

88 Accord DX
06-13-2003, 08:23 AM
if you do decide to go with nitrous are you going with NOS? i recomment NX. get some purge valves too.

Osiris
06-13-2003, 09:42 AM
88 Accord ~ If i do get Turbo ill probaly get a small NOS kit afterwards. But if i get Nos ill probaly leave the turbo alone. My dad has 300zx and the cost of maintence on turbo is expensive. Im still in the middle about it. Cost effectiveness is a big thing. Not in the beggining but in the long run.

Tha1AndOnlyDJT
06-14-2003, 07:34 AM
How much HP could are stock engines push out with N20? I want to run N20 just becuase I dont plan on keeping my 3gee long but i want somthing that i will be able to put in my new car. And what else should i do to my car before i put N20 in it. And also, what is the largest shot of N20 are engine can take.

pric
06-15-2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Tha1AndOnlyDJT
How much HP could are stock engines push out with N20? I want to run N20 just becuase I dont plan on keeping my 3gee long but i want somthing that i will be able to put in my new car. And what else should i do to my car before i put N20 in it. And also, what is the largest shot of N20 are engine can take.

You should free up the air flow of the motor first before running N2O. CAI/H/E plus your basic tune up and colder plugs. With a wet kit you can run a bigger shot safely but you can run a dry kit up to 75 shot as long as you know what you are doing.

Elijah
06-15-2003, 11:49 AM
I run 75 wet I'am to scared of killing my engine with anymore.

bobafett
06-15-2003, 05:12 PM
damn you guys. 75 would scare me! i would love to push that much HP with a turbo. thats why i like the idea of a turbo so much. you get that 75hp allllll dayyyyy long! :)

Admiral
06-15-2003, 09:17 PM
Another mod to add to the list for preparing for N2O is Forged Pistons. The cost of them isn't bad but unless you're gonna install them yourself it could get a bit pricey

toastyghost
06-16-2003, 10:06 AM
weigh the cons.. expensive setup or broken engine?

goldyaccord
06-16-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by bobafett
damn you guys. 75 would scare me! i would love to push that much HP with a turbo. thats why i like the idea of a turbo so much. you get that 75hp allllll dayyyyy long! :)

I will never put on NOS. well, maybe i'll get a used setup and run it afew times and stick 5 or so purge valves in various places just to be an ass :D but then, I'll sell it but then, I'd spend my 500 bucks on the turbo so no way. hmmm Talk about contradiction :D

pric
06-16-2003, 11:51 AM
I run 75 wet I'am to scared of killing my engine with anymore.

Elijah

You didn't post that in your list of mods you sand bagger LOL

damn you guys. 75 would scare me! i would love to push that much HP with a turbo. thats why i like the idea of a turbo so much. you get that 75hp allllll dayyyyy long!

bobafett

That's one advantage turbo's have over NAWWSSS having the power at your foot at any time is nice. However, how often do you keep it to the floor to get that power? Plus you would have to make at least 12 to 14 lbs. of boost to get 75 extra horsepower out of the A20A. Not to mention the cost of a cheap turbo set up would be twice to three times that much of a good N2O set up with only half to a third of the output.

Another mod to add to the list for preparing for N2O is Forged Pistons. The cost of them isn't bad but unless you're gonna install them yourself it could get a bit pricey

Admiral

Forged Pistons is a good mod for turbo or N2O more turbo than N2O. With a wet kit and tuned correctly you can run the stock pistons up to a point. If your going to do FP you might as well P&P the head and stud it and a good copper gasket. But of course you could do the same with a turbo setup also.

With the turbo setup you need the forged pistons if you are going to run more than 12lbs. safely IMO. Which adds to the cost of the turbo setup. There is so much more involved in doing a good tubo setup compared to a N2O system that can make the same or more power with less cost.

Elijah
06-16-2003, 05:05 PM
Oops I must of forgot I thought I put it in my list.I hooked up my rockford 12" today sounds nice.

Osiris
06-16-2003, 07:01 PM
I guess ill go with the NOS... I dont have the time or money for installing a turbo. Ill just use that money and make sure every aspect of my engine back to the exhaust is tricked out.

Oh yea..im mos def gonna get an engine swap..but thats a whole nother thread and search. :huh: Not real familiar with the honda line of engines.