PDA

View Full Version : Changing Axle

89lx
06-12-2003, 10:28 PM
I need to change my right front axle and I was if anyone else has done it? If anyone could give me some tips or the "how to" I would really appreciate it. Thanks

A20A1
06-12-2003, 10:42 PM
Sorry dude.. the closest I've been was when I removed my motor... I could have pulled them out then. There is a how-to on removing the motor the easy way... some of the steps may or may not apply... thats all I can help you with... sorry. :(

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7316

rustyaccord
06-12-2003, 10:43 PM
Yeah, pretty simple. Take off the axle nut, suspension fork, and then the lower ball joint if you have the right tool (or are good and lucky with a sledgehammer) I recommend taking the lower suspension arm out completely by taking out the big bolt attaching it to the pivot point under the car, now you can pull away the knuckle and the arm so you can pop the axle out. That lower ball joint can be impossible to remove, I don't know why that's the 'preferred' method in the manuals. Oh, and make sure you have a 1/2" or larger breaker bar, you can break a regular ratchet, not to mention your hands...

It's hard to believe midas charges like $400 for that. I could probably do it in less than 30 minutes without a lift now :)

pimp86LX
06-13-2003, 12:35 AM
They charge that much cause they take their time ;)

A few certified mechanic friends say they only see a fraction of what you pay. I found a nice mechanic that isn't owned by a big corperation and charges a shop rate of around $40/hr. just enough from him. He does quality work and doesn't jerk me around so he deserves it.

btw. big name shops around here charge anywere from $60-75/hr

ACCORD EX
06-13-2003, 08:35 AM
check the clutch how to ! you'll find instructions there !

MIKE