PDA

View Full Version : sputters/vibrates at idle

rustyaccord
06-12-2003, 11:03 PM
I've been driving this car for near 8 years now, and from the begining it would 'sputter' at warm or cold idle, or of you free revved the engine. Now it doesn't seem to interfere with normal operation, you just hear "pop" "pop" "pop" "poppop" out the exhaust (if I have the a/c or the radio on, can't hear it). No smoke, no apparent loss of power, infact under throttle it sounds pretty healthy accelerating. (When I bought it, all fluids were changed, new plugs, wires, rotor, distributer, fuel filters, air filter)

Now I'm getting wierd low frequency vibration and LOTS of sputtering at idle. If I sit there at idle, it feels as though I were next to a train track with a train going over it - really low but pronounced vibrations like the earth is moving. It could be just a passing "mood" of the car as we're in summer now. Then again, who knows.. Driving performance doesn't seem to be affected.

Anyone have any idea what I can check?

A20A1
06-12-2003, 11:56 PM
hmm exhaust leak maybe...
ignition timing
valve lash

rustyaccord
06-13-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by A20A1
hmm exhaust leak maybe...
ignition timing
valve lash

1. I can't hear any exhaust noise up front, it's most pronounced when standing next to the tailpipe.

2. nope

3. nope

A20A1
06-13-2003, 12:27 AM
running lean...
since you said you don't see smoke so that kinda rules out overly rich.

too much electrical drain... fans and accessories all coming on or being used at once.

anchovies
06-13-2003, 11:43 AM
I guess it's backfiring?
and maybe your engine mounts. Both separate issues. Just a thought.

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
06-13-2003, 12:12 PM
mine does the same thing you can hear it from the front when i set on the gas its liek i big backfire? is it an exhaust leak??

rustyaccord
06-13-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by anchovies
I guess it's backfiring?
and maybe your engine mounts. Both separate issues. Just a thought.

Nope... The engine shakes pretty bad, in comparison to other 3g's Engine mounts are working overtime just to hold the car together :)

rustyaccord
06-14-2003, 02:44 PM
It was the idle mixture. I can't believe how much work and knucle busting it took to get the plug out.. but 6 hours of work and 5+ ( :o ) ccw turns later, it feels like I have a v6 in there :) The engine is so still it's surreal..

I didn't put the plug back (I didn't even have the rubber plug, just metal cap) I jerry-rigged some old vacuum tube and tape to make sure it stays still.

89BadBoy
06-17-2003, 01:24 PM
where is the plug located on the carb? mine does the same thing and i've tried everything

ACCORD EX
06-17-2003, 02:46 PM
check the how to's !
how to adjust your carb !

MIKE