PDA

View Full Version : anybody know the name of the paint on my 89 lxi???

A20A3nD15
06-14-2003, 11:52 PM
while driving home tonight i made a spur of the moment decision to paint my front bumper tommorrow, so i stopped at the only place that was open, the 24 hr walmart. the info booklet at the store didnt mention anything close to the color of my car, so i bought a can of primer and a can of dupli-color "lt. driftwood m" that seems extremely close to my color. i was hoping that someone here at 3geez would know off the top of their head what the name of my accord paint is, which could save me a trip to town in the morning, i know it sounds petty i but hope to install a full exhaust system, a door latch assembly, an antenna, and at least get started on painting the bumper... just trying to save a little time. thanks.

heres a pic of my car...
http://www.geocities.com/primo28/paint.html?1055662328760

A20A1
06-15-2003, 12:13 AM
look at the sticker when you open you drivers side door... or passenger side door... it's near the door latch... there should be some type of color code there.

shepherd79
06-15-2003, 03:43 AM
here is the link to the company that will match the paint http://www.paintscratch.com/

A20A1
06-15-2003, 04:55 AM
Name: Alfa Red / Color Code: 555

oooh.... I can only wonder what that would look like. :D

MrBen
06-15-2003, 05:43 PM
Paintscratch is way too expensive. It's around 40 bucks for a can shipped to your door.

DarknessRS
06-20-2003, 12:26 AM
FAQ! This is the 2nd post I've seen asking a paint q, it's all in the FAQ section.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=527

wallyyfm
06-20-2003, 10:14 AM
those are some nice rims on that thing

HondaBoy
06-20-2003, 10:47 AM
hmm, to me that looks like champain beige, but its probley whatever silver the LX-i came in in the late 80s. i hope ur not thinging of using spray paint that will match ur car, cuz i dont think they would sell it at wal-mart. mabye i read wrong? anyway, what my friend did when he wanted to repaint his bumper was do it 2 tone. he left the top of his car the stock mopar green, and the bottom he did with duplicolor white and clear coated it. totally changed the look of his car. thats an idea. hope it turns out good, what ever u do.

DBMaster
06-20-2003, 10:48 AM
Actually, I believe the color was called "Seattle Silver." My grandmother put money down on an 89 LXi that color, then changed her mind, then bought the white one I am still driving.

Micah 89LXi
06-22-2003, 05:49 AM
seattle silver has more of a champagne gold hint to it...trust me I just painted my rear quater panel in it and well my car USED to be seattle silver...so yeah it doesnt match at all...but at least my rust is gone..the colour code is like YR-93M or something like that..thats seattle silver code..i dont think yours is..then again could be a bad pic...why is the top of your bumper stripped..should be matched to the car colour for an 89 Lxi..thats what i have....dood repaitn your trim...lightly sand it 400 Grit paper...scrub it really good soapy water, buy one can of adhesion promoter they will sell it with trim....then buy 1-2 cans of duplicolor's TRIM BLACK its a matte black paint...let the adhesiion promoter set on there for about 15 mins..it may run a little but it makes for a neat textured effect IMO..anyways oh yeah MASK THE HELL OUT OF YOUR CAR FIRST...heh..do it man it looks freaking sweet....it cost me like a total of $10 and my trim looks brand new...EVERYONE WITH FADED TRIM SHOULD DO THIS..no need to replace those mouldings...okay enough ranting for today..ima head to church now..later dudes

Micah 89LXi
06-22-2003, 05:52 AM
Oh yeah i forgot you may want to do about 2 or 3 coats of trim black...i only had one can and i got about 2 coats out of it so you may want to buy 2...BTW if you need to I can post a pic that shows you what seattle silver looks like....your car isnt seattle silver....dont make the same mistake I did

Micah 89LXi
06-22-2003, 05:57 AM
heh why dont i post some more...when you take off the masking...watch out for peeling..if it peels off around teh edges,,,take a sharpie and fill it in..also i sprayed a little trim paint in the cap and used a touch up brush..worked really well

A20A3nD15
07-05-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Micah 89LXi
seattle silver has more of a champagne gold hint to it...trust me I just painted my rear quater panel in it and well my car USED to be seattle silver...so yeah it doesnt match at all...but at least my rust is gone..the colour code is like YR-93M or something like that..thats seattle silver code..i dont think yours is..then again could be a bad pic...why is the top of your bumper stripped..should be matched to the car colour for an 89 Lxi..thats what i have....dood repaitn your trim...lightly sand it 400 Grit paper...scrub it really good soapy water, buy one can of adhesion promoter they will sell it with trim....then buy 1-2 cans of duplicolor's TRIM BLACK its a matte black paint...let the adhesiion promoter set on there for about 15 mins..it may run a little but it makes for a neat textured effect IMO..anyways oh yeah MASK THE HELL OUT OF YOUR CAR FIRST...heh..do it man it looks freaking sweet....it cost me like a total of $10 and my trim looks brand new...EVERYONE WITH FADED TRIM SHOULD DO THIS..no need to replace those mouldings...okay enough ranting for today..ima head to church now..later dudes

the sticker on my accord says YR-94M-3, which according to paintscratch is Seattle Silver Metallic Clearcoat even though the color sample on the web site looks closer to silver than the color of my car. i looked around at a few places with no luck. i shit you not, i was rummaging through the miscellanous spray paint section at the local $1 store and found only 1 - 5oz can of dupli-color seattle silver. the cap seems to be a perfect match to my car. :super: i plan on going back soon to do some serious digging through the spray paint pallet that is stacked as high as my head.

thanks a lot for the advice about the trim, you answered a question i didnt get a chance to ask yet, i wasnt sure if the trim could be painted or not. i put the bumper project on the back burner for now untill i find more paint. right now, im in the middle of painting a set of used 15" 5 star rims gun metal grey that are going on the accord, the pic in the beginning of the thread is the wheelset that belongs to my civic for now.

thx again for the advice!

:)

A20A3nD15
07-05-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Micah 89LXi
Oh yeah i forgot you may want to do about 2 or 3 coats of trim black...i only had one can and i got about 2 coats out of it so you may want to buy 2...BTW if you need to I can post a pic that shows you what seattle silver looks like....your car isnt seattle silver....dont make the same mistake I did

dude man will you post a pic of your car for me before i do any painting. and what is the color code inside your door panel?

thx a lot!