PDA

View Full Version : OH, OH, fuel rail problem!!!

89accordlxi
06-07-2002, 05:48 AM
:mad: Damn, what do I do!!!!!! I was replacing the o-rings on my injectors the other day. When I went to bolt the fuel rail back on, All four mounting post broke when I tightened the nuts. I hardly put any pressure on them. 2 of them broke of totally and the other two are about to fall off. They are the only two holding the fuel rail on right now. But I have a feeling they will fall off eventually with vibration. I think the specs for the nuts were to torque them to 9 ft lb. How could they have broken so easily.

Is there a way to fix this. I think the posts are part of the intake manifold. Will I have to replace the manifold?? How is that attached to the throttle body?? I don't know what to do. A new manifold will probably cost tons of $$$$$ unless I get on from a junk yard. Man, I am soooo mad!!:burn::rant: :mad:

any Suggestions.

i'm out

guaynabo89
06-07-2002, 06:33 AM
I'm pretty sure that those are just two sided screws. If there is still part of it sticking out. Take a vice grip to them and unscrew them.(use some sort of penetrant first)

Then try to find the same ones at a hardware store or something.
Bolts like that get pretty brittle over time from heat.

89accordlxi
06-07-2002, 06:54 AM
Wow, that would be nice if they are two sided screws. Then that would be a simple and inexpensive fix. I will give it a try this weekend. If there not, well, I don't want to think about that right now.

Thanks for the reply.

later.

smufguy
06-08-2002, 09:14 AM
its not gonna be two sided for sure. its interesting that the bolts snaped. the rail wont come off, but ur injectors might start to leak from the manifold.

if u wanna be ghetto style, get big hose clamps and try to clamp the rail down.

if u really really really need a efi manifold alone (no throttle body and no sensors and crap like that, i can get u one. Or if u wanna get the whole thing, with fuel rail senors vaccum lines, and t-body, i can get u that for around 70 bucks. Hope everything works out for you man.

89accordlxi
06-09-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by smufguy
its not gonna be two sided for sure. its interesting that the bolts snaped. the rail wont come off, but ur injectors might start to leak from the manifold.

if u wanna be ghetto style, get big hose clamps and try to clamp the rail down.

if u really really really need a efi manifold alone (no throttle body and no sensors and crap like that, i can get u one. Or if u wanna get the whole thing, with fuel rail senors vaccum lines, and t-body, i can get u that for around 70 bucks. Hope everything works out for you man.

Oh man, are you positive they are not double sided??? That sucks:( I spent all weekend putting on new shocks and struts so i didn't have a chance to check yet(i'll explain in my thread in suspension section).

Maybe the clamp thing will work for now.

How much can you get a manifold for? just the stripped down one would be fine.

Thanks

I'm out.

POS carb
06-09-2002, 09:56 PM
I have an 89 LXi manifold in perfect shape that needs a good home, transfer your fuel rail to this manifold and you're good to go. make me an offer if you are interested [email protected]

smufguy
06-10-2002, 07:15 AM
which year is you car? i can get the manifold for 70 bucks max and shipping is extra. IF ur within the US it should not matter much. If ur outside, well atleast 15 bucks on shippin.

89accordlxi
06-10-2002, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by smufguy
which year is you car? i can get the manifold for 70 bucks max and shipping is extra. IF ur within the US it should not matter much. If ur outside, well atleast 15 bucks on shippin.

89, USA, Iowa to be exact.

.....Oh wait, I guess my profile and signiture already show that.
:rolleyes: Hello, Mcfly...

later.

smufguy
06-10-2002, 11:55 AM
hehehe, Mcfly :p . sorry man, did not see your sig. u up for it? :D

AccordEXI
06-10-2002, 03:48 PM
The mounting studs are replaceable. They will have to be ordered from the dealership.

89accordlxi
06-11-2002, 08:16 AM
OK, just wait a minute, TIME OUT!!! :huh: ...................

One person swears they are not replaceable and then now someone says they are replacable. What's the deal? Can somebody confirm one way or the other for me please. Please show some kind of proof(ie. pics, text in a book etc.)....

I would rather replace the posts then take apart the engine...
I don't want to take apart the engine then later find out that I could have simply removed the post and screwed in new ones.

I guess I could just check myself, but I haven't the time until this weekend.

So If anyone can get me some proof before that, I would appreciate it. If not, I will check for myself this weekend.

SMUFGUY, I will have to wait until I can confirm one way or the other before making a decision. Thanks

Thanks everybody for all your help.

later.

guaynabo89
06-11-2002, 10:23 AM
Don't have proof but, they are double sided.

Take time out and try tasking one of the broken ones off.

smufguy
06-11-2002, 01:00 PM
my manifold, that i bought is in my uncle's house where my 3g is. I will go today evening and check it out how its bolted in. Its a 89 manifold. I dont know how the 86-88 are. and the 86-87 have their injectors positioned in a diff place???.

AccordEXI
06-11-2002, 03:23 PM
If you want proof that they are replaceable go to hondaautomotiveparts.com and look it up. I broke one of mine once, went to the dealer and ordered a new one. Honda part number of the stud was 90002-PD6-000.

89accordlxi
06-11-2002, 08:32 PM
Hey thanks a lot ACCORDEXI

I think I found the proof I needed.
This is off the hondaautomotiveparts web page.
It looks to me that part 24 is double sided and screws into the manifold.

If it is in fact correct, It will be a quick and easy fix.

Thanks again everyone for your help
Peace out.

smufguy
06-11-2002, 08:48 PM
oooooh i see what u are talking about. ITs the stud. i thought it was the two bolts that are on the top of the fuel rail. hmmmm, is that what u call a bolt right? well anyways, sorry for the conflicting ideas man.