PDA

View Full Version : honda radio question

accordlxi2.0
06-15-2003, 10:41 AM
okay i took out my radio and looked at the back of it and it has the connector that is for the "din" what is that for? then it has the connector for the speaker's and ant.
by the way it's an hi-performance sound system.
thanx n advance.

:cool:

TJ89Accord
06-15-2003, 11:19 AM
what kind of radio is it?

Osiris
06-15-2003, 12:11 PM
I dont understand how it can have connector to the "din", seening that "din" usally means the size of the stereo from what i understand. Din would be standard size llike the one you have. Someone correct me if im wrong.

zip7
06-15-2003, 06:32 PM
I think what he is talking about is the output din (connector), which is use for adding an cd or eq to your stock radio. Hope this help.

shepherd79
06-16-2003, 03:36 AM
i still don't understand. i think he/she should rewrite the question.

accordlxi2.0
06-16-2003, 12:40 PM
zip7 is right. so that mean i can add a cd player or changer to it
if so then where can i find one?
Thanx-n-advance.
oh what kind is it? it say's high performance sound system. someone who has an accord at my school say's that alpine make's thje speaker and the amp for this one.
i kinda feel that's false info.

DBMaster
06-16-2003, 12:47 PM
Well, it is true that Alpine made the stereos. My local Honda shop told me several years ago when I thought I wanted mine repaired that they had to send them to a shop in Dallas that works on the Alpine stereos. I ended up fixing mine by taking the front apart and cleaning it up with tuner cleaning spray from Radio Shack.

Osiris
06-16-2003, 01:17 PM
If they do make them for our cars. Big chances are for "special" connecters to cd changers you will have to buy a "honda" cd changer.

DBMaster
06-16-2003, 01:32 PM
That is a distinct possibility, Osiris.

Our van (99 Oasis/98 Odyssey) has a changer that connects to the stereo through the same type of plug. The changer is mounted under the front passenger seat. It is the six disc magazine type. I think it is far more trouble than just taking a few CD's with me at a time and putting them into my aftermarket single disc in-dash player. Consequently, we rarely play CD's in the van. Of course, that is my preference.

accordlxi2.0
06-16-2003, 03:50 PM
cool so where can i get one?
and what type's & year's can i use for mine?
plus can anyone download our car stereo's?
thanx-n-advance

DBMaster
06-16-2003, 08:03 PM
That is a good question. I know that when I had the stereo out of the van (98 Odyssey clone, remember) the wiring harness was identical to the one that fit my 89 Accord's stereo. I don't know if that means you could plug a newer CD changer into the old stereo. I know that the made a separate CD player that was an option in our cars when new so maybe you would need to just look around.

Personally, I would spend $100-150 and get an aftermarket stereo that will sound much better and have the added bonus of playing conventional AND MP3 CD's. You can rip 10 CD's worth of music onto a single CD-R in MP3 format. Better than having a changer if you ask me!

Osiris
06-16-2003, 11:04 PM
Im with DBMaster on this one. Your way way waayyyy better off gettin a aftermarket changer. Plus i bet you will pay a nice amount of money for anything that says Honda on it. Especially electronic.

While your at it, for about another $100 - $150, go get a cheap cd player. Anything aftermarket is gonna be better than the stock systems of the 80's.:super:

DBMaster
06-17-2003, 06:21 AM
Also, I found that new speakers made my aftermarket upgrade even better. The stock 6x9's in the rear were just "dual cone" cheapos. The fronts were coaxial 5.5's, but the foam suspension was shot (from moisture and the repeated shock of closing the doors, I assume). I went pretty cheap with Clarion coaxials all around. They are polymerized paper rather than poly cones. Even my cheapo $140 Aiwa system puts out 45W x 4 v. the factory stereo's 10W x 4. The Honda factory stereos were decent for the 80's, but still pretty lacking in sound quality.

Osiris
06-17-2003, 10:47 AM
Slow down there skippy :stick:

Yea, once you starting gettin into this hobbie. Youre like wow, those are much better than what i have. Then another guy pulls up next to you and blows your shit out the trunk. So you go back and learn and buy more. Thats why i recommend spending the money in the beggeining.

Good Luck tho.

DBMaster
06-17-2003, 12:43 PM
I am really not that picky. No subs in the trunk, no amps, no extra batteries for the system, etc. My whole system cost about $300, inlcuding the speakers, all because I wanted to be able to play CD's instead of cassettes. I am not in competition with anyone and would like to still have my sense of hearing when I am 50!

In reality, you can do just fine with a sub $100 in dash AM/FM/CD deck!

accordlxi2.0
06-17-2003, 12:44 PM
10w x 4 no way.
my previous car had premium sound and that was 10w x 4.
this does'nt sound like it, in fact it sound's better.

zip7
06-18-2003, 03:40 PM
Sorry, only 86-93 honda cd &eq will fit. You should try weacker yard. Last time I was there they had several honda eq.

charlesb2003
06-18-2003, 04:18 PM
i just swapped my factory tape deck for a cd changer-controlling honda deck from a 97 accord. alpine does in fact make the honda factory stereos and the din plug is the same as most alpine cd changers. however, the newer alpine cd changers only work with 94-up honda decks, even though the connector is physically the same as our stock ones. the 94-up decks have a "cd" button on them and can control the changer, but on the 86-89 decks you have to have a cd player with its own controls because our factory radios didn't have that "cd" button.

carotman
06-20-2003, 12:45 AM
YOu could get an equalizer on your honda Radio with that DIN output...

It's basicaly an RCA in/out with a power and a ground.... The only problem is that they cannot be used as RCA wires to hook-up to an amp because the output is given BEFORE the BASS/Treble controls on the radio.

If you have a Honda EQ, you can use the EQ output as your RCA wires and hook-up an amp on it.

accordlxi2.0
06-26-2003, 03:55 PM
is any one selling one

charlesb2003
06-27-2003, 09:05 AM
i'll give you my old one. it only plays out of the two left speakers tho... might be fixable but it's probably not worth it. i got my new one on e-bay. do a search for honda stereo... there's always a bunch. anything from an 86-97 accord will plug right in to the stock wiring harness.

accordlxi2.0
06-27-2003, 05:37 PM
hmmmmmmmmm?
how much?