PDA

View Full Version : Completed rear deck

Sabz5150
06-15-2003, 12:00 PM
Took the rear deck from a base model DX, didn't have cutouts for the rear speakers. This let me get rid of the stock speaker mounts :super: All done up in black velveteen.

Sabz5150
06-15-2003, 12:01 PM
Closer shot of the components

A20A1
06-15-2003, 02:32 PM
wow thats sum nice work... :D

88' Accord Ltd
06-15-2003, 06:29 PM
Nice job man! It looks like it was meant to be that way!

Sabz5150
06-15-2003, 06:46 PM
Gotta give props to my g/f for helping me with it :) Can't take all the credit. She's going over the rest of my car getting ideas of what to do next for reupholstering the interior :D

johndej
06-15-2003, 06:50 PM
nice job w/ that thing man. yeah, girls always want in when it comes to decorating.

Vanilla Sky
06-15-2003, 07:41 PM
be sure to treat the girl ;) some tonight...

props to both

Mike89Accordcom
06-15-2003, 07:44 PM
That looks nice man. I bet it sounds good too...

Sabz5150
06-15-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Mike89Accordcom
That looks nice man. I bet it sounds good too...

The setup took me forever to get straight...

A Jensen MP3310 headunit piped through a Sherwood XDTS80 surround processor, then to a Pioneer 4 channel amp in the glovebox which drives the Pyle components in the back and a pair of Crunch Drive coaxials in the front. A Pyle Wave 240 watt amp powers a 6.5" bass tube in the trunk. All channels are independant and controlled by the processor.

Thank you eBay!!! :lol

Thanks for all the compliments :)

dXsquared
06-15-2003, 09:04 PM
lol... thats a low powered system! but it prolly sounds pretty clear...

components should NEVER go in the rear.. it fucks with the sound stage....

some people dont even run rear speakers because it ruins the staging... let the subs FILL the rear stage

Travis

Sabz5150
06-15-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
lol... thats a low powered system! but it prolly sounds pretty clear...

components should NEVER go in the rear.. it fucks with the sound stage....

some people dont even run rear speakers because it ruins the staging... let the subs FILL the rear stage

Travis

5.1 requires rear speakers. What comes out of the fronts is not what comes out of the back, and the subwoofer is it's own little world of low frequency rumble.

89accord_lxi_coupe
06-16-2003, 05:25 AM
you've lost the ability to fold down the rear seat i see. still looks good though.

Sabz5150
06-16-2003, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by 89accord_lxi_coupe
you've lost the ability to fold down the rear seat i see. still looks good though.

Not at all. I just don't have the lock on the inside anymore. I can still pull the handle from in the trunk and fold it down.

NXRacer
06-16-2003, 07:16 AM
How did you cut out the deck for the speaker holes? I know that on my car its metal and would be a real bitch to cut out. Do you know if that rear deck like that would fit in a 2 door? Or do they have a 2 door dx?

Sabz5150
06-16-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by NXRacer
How did you cut out the deck for the speaker holes? I know that on my car its metal and would be a real bitch to cut out. Do you know if that rear deck like that would fit in a 2 door? Or do they have a 2 door dx?

The body already had the cutouts in the metal. I just grabbed the rear deck cover piece from a DX in the boneyard and used a razor to cut out new openings. I did have to drill holes for the speaker mounting screws though.

There were 2 door DXes in the 88-89 years. I'd expect them to be the same but I'm not sure.

dXsquared
06-16-2003, 06:52 PM
in not saying that rear speakers shouldnt have been used.. im just sayin that for the best sound... you would have run components in teh front and the coaxils in the rear...

Travis

Sabz5150
06-16-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
in not saying that rear speakers shouldnt have been used.. im just sayin that for the best sound... you would have run components in teh front and the coaxils in the rear...

Travis

The only problem I see with running components in the front is that they way most people mount their components... mids in the door, tweets on the A pillars or the dash. The problem there is when there's a frequency shift, say from a doppler of a car speeding by or a singer hitting that high note, the sound jumps from the bottom of the car right to the top and back down again (Throw in a copy of the Fifth Element and skip to the opera scene, you'll see what I mean). I could do custom kicks, but I'd put the clutch clean through it, not to mention where I rest my foot...

I plan on installing components in the front and keep the components in the rear. Drill some nice sized holes in the door right next to the mids. Any way you cut it, components sound MUCH better than coaxials... at least in my opinion.

dXsquared
06-16-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Sabz5150
Any way you cut it, components sound MUCH better than coaxials... at least in my opinion.

thats exactly why i sugested components in the front.. and i think im gonna make some sort of kick pod... its will have to be very slim.. and maybe ill be able to make a mold for fibreglass and make a few for others.. but yah.. components rule

Travis

iloveJDMblackrims69
06-21-2003, 09:04 AM
Nice work man.........I like the woofer tweeter set-up. I should have done soemthing like that when I had the 3 gee instead of putting 4 speakers in the back.