PDA

View Full Version : Flushing the radiator...

krott5333
06-15-2003, 04:57 PM
To flush the coolant out of my car, I just pull the drain plug on the radiator, right? What about the reservoir, how do I drain that?

I read something about a bleed screw, do I need to mess with that, and if so, where, and how?

Thanks

1988starter
06-15-2003, 06:24 PM
Their is a bleed screw on the thermostat housing I think 12 mm also you need to drain the block it is a nut behind the exhaust manifold

ACCORD EX
06-16-2003, 11:50 AM
check the how to 's !

MIKE

AZmike
06-16-2003, 09:37 PM
You should clean the reserve tank at the same time. You can get it out by pulling straight up, but you may need to remove the battery first.

88 Accord DX
06-16-2003, 09:39 PM
its hella easier just to use the bleeder screw. i had water shooting 7 ft. in the air but it got the job done.

AZmike
06-16-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by 88 Accord DX
its hella easier just to use the bleeder screw. i had water shooting 7 ft. in the air but it got the job done.

Easier than what? You need to use the screw to bleed the system correctly. There's no other way that I know of.

DBMaster
06-17-2003, 06:26 AM
There is also a drain plug in the engine block. You access it between the runners of the exhaust manifold. You can get a bit more of the old coolant out by removing that plug.

I pretty much just drain the old stuff, refill with distilled or R/O water, run it until it's hot, drain it again, and refill with 50/50 coolant and distilled of R/O water. Of course, bleeding the air while refilling.

I am a fan of the extended life, silicate-free coolants. You will hear arguments pro and con. All I know is that they DO last longer and keep the cooling system really clean. I have been using the orange Dexcool stuff in my car for the last six years.

ACCORD EX
06-17-2003, 02:39 PM
no one want to see the how to ! ?

here it is !

http://209.151.81.66/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6572

MIKE

DBMaster
06-17-2003, 03:20 PM
EX, that is one of the most creative solutions I have ever seen. I assume that if the whole cooling system takes, say, two gallons of 50/50 mix then you just pour straight coolant in until you have the whole gallon in there and close the bleeder valve, right? (This would be AFTER flushing it using your process)

That methodology seems sound. I want to give you a pat on the back for posting it!

ACCORD EX
06-18-2003, 02:16 PM
well thanx it's a method i lerned from a mechanic friend and i do it on all cars !

MIKE

wthramann
06-18-2003, 06:13 PM
Mike, how do you collect the discharged coolant for recycling? Perhaps with some IV tubing it is possible to run the old stuff into a container.

ACCORD EX
06-20-2003, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by wthramann
Mike, how do you collect the discharged coolant for recycling? Perhaps with some IV tubing it is possible to run the old stuff into a container.

simply i don't ! :D we don't have any laws for that here !

MIKE

DBMaster
06-20-2003, 11:21 AM
I was told by our local water treatment authority that ethylene glycol is easily removed in the sewage treatment process. You want to make sure that pets and other animals don't have access to it.

I think you could still drain the radiator into a container, fill it back up with water, and use the other Mike's method. That way you would be collecting the majority of the coolant and still have the ease of his method.

ACCORD EX
06-20-2003, 02:57 PM
just get a new draing bolt with washer ! incase you ruin the old one !

MIKE