PDA

View Full Version : going to try to fix rust holes, need advice

rustyaccord
06-15-2003, 05:05 PM
I have holes in the standard places, rear arch's, and passenger side skirt near the rear.

I'm pretty broke due to the job market, which also means I have a lot of time on my hands. So, I think the cheapest repair would be to fiberglass them. I need to find specifics on how to bond fiberglass well to metal, and also how to form the "shape", since wet fiberglass is just like a wet towel right? (I read the FAQ here, and it's just not enough info for me to start) Will regular bondo adhere to the fiberglass and across metal threshold with no problems? (I have some spare bondo and fiberglass sheets, although no accessories for it) I will need the epoxy/resin and what else?

This should make a good quality repair that should hold for years and years correct? I don't want it coming off/bubbling/ rusting at the threshold. I'd weld in metal if I had welding experience and welding tools (Which I gather are rather expensive compared to fiberglass, and how do you rust-proof the inside, for example on the side skirt?)

Second problem - paint.
I have the dark metallic maroon color - R-61M-3 - which paintscratch.com calls "Chateau Red Metallic Clearcoat" they want $30 + shipping for a can!?!?!

I have found two paints that match 'close enough' i.e. on a sunny day from 10 feet away it would be hard to tell. These are dupli-color 'ap 35 maroon' and '98-00959 bordeaux rd m cc' the problem is, no store seems to carry them anymore. Now considering it's a common color, I know some of you must have found a brand/standard color that's 'close enough' - what did you guys find?

flamed89
06-15-2003, 06:32 PM
first of all you need a fiberglass reinforced bodyfiller(bondoglass) not the mat and resin.it's much easier to work with than the mat & resin.no it will not hold for years and years.for that kind of repair you will need to replace the metal.to rust proof it you should sray some type of rust preventive spray on the inner structure after cleaning the loose rust of with a wire brush.as far as paint that is your decision as to how close you want it to match.if you have any questions feel free to pm me and i'll try to help ya out.

Not like a rock
06-16-2003, 06:51 PM
When doing the rear fenders / wheel wells, there is something you have to check out:

at the very edge of the fender, there are actually two pieces of metal there, one on the outside and one on the inside. If your rust is quite advanced, you will be able to see this easy.

If you can find where the two pieces join, then you don't need to worry about it. But if you can actually find what I'm talking about, make sure to seal those back together with whatever you're using.

If you don't, then all the water, dirt and road salt that your tires flick up will just get shoved back in there.

Hope that helps / is not too late