PDA

View Full Version : 87 Accord LXi Starter Shims???

FireAm94
06-16-2003, 08:00 AM
I have an 87 Accord LXi and the starter went out. I replaced it with a reman from Oreily Auto Parts and all was fine until the 4th or 5th try.....it grinded. I replaced it about 3 weeks later and it was grinding most of the time (sometimes 10 or 11 tries to start). I replaced it with another (they tested the 1st one as bad) and same thing (10 or 11 tries.....doesn't want to start right off the bat). We hooked it up out of the block and the bendix kicks the gear out and all "looks" good. Do these starters require shims? I am really stumped on this one. Please help the noobie guys :)

Thanx
Joe

88LXi/87CRXSi
06-17-2003, 02:24 PM
Welcome to the board Joe! Pretty sure that the starter just bolts in, no shims are used. I've only messed with the one in my CRX, and that was a simple bolt in, no adjusting, so I'm no help at all.
I've really got no clue, unless it's just the starters themselves. I'm sure someone here will have some better input for you.

anchovies
06-17-2003, 08:32 PM
How's your flywheel?

FireAm94
06-23-2003, 06:47 AM
There is no flywheel....but as far as your theory goes you're on track. We had checked the teeth before and after they were fine I posted here....stumped. However...I took a second look and decided to move the "flywheel/flexplate"......the ring with the teeth was moving about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch. Called and no one showed a flexplate....called the dealer and the teeth are on the torque converter. No junkyard I found on the net or local has one and it's $600 from the dealer. Guess it's because it's an LXi...they showed flexplates for the 2.2 but I think this is a 2.0.

Joe

anchovies
06-25-2003, 10:56 AM
Starter from dealer is about $155 at
http://www.slhondaparts.com/

Try other auto stores/brands. I'm sure they can order one for you.

FireAm94
06-25-2003, 11:07 AM
I took a second look and decided to move the "flywheel/flexplate"......the ring with the teeth was moving about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch. Called and no one showed a flexplate....called the dealer and the teeth are on the torque converter. No junkyard I found on the net or local has one and it's $600 from the dealer.

Starter is fine...the teeth that the starter grabs are on a ring around the torque convertor.....the ring was loose and causing the teeth on the starter to grind.

Thanx
Joe