PDA

View Full Version : Door Speakers. Which should I buy???

RCracer
06-07-2002, 12:03 PM
I am changing my door speakers (the old ones have a cone of about 3inch and all the foam surround has finally let go) and want to know if there are any decent speakers (alpine, infinity, kenwood, etc)(that have a bigger cone) that will fit in my door with the original speaker cover and let the window go all the way down. Has anyone got some they really like. I am buying them mail order (cheaper than the local car audio centre) so would like to know which make and model fit. I am not bothered about cutting the plastic speaker mount that screws to the door I just want to be able to wind the window all the way down and have the original speaker trim fastened on as it was.
I am also thinking of one of the new Alpine mp3 players(the ones that light up blue(cant find the model number at the min)) but they have just been released in the uk. They are supposed to be 60w x 4 so that is what the front speakers will be having to live with.

Any suggestions on speaker makes/models will be a great help.
Thanks

Paul:smokin:

damackz
06-07-2002, 03:02 PM
Great experiences with pioneer speakers!!! there cheap and sound great! right now i got some kenwoood and they are aiight, i get great highs and mids from it, dunno man on how much u wanna spend but infinitys, Jl audio and MB quart are about tha best u can get have fun

Vanilla Sky
06-07-2002, 09:25 PM
since you'e goin pricey on the deck, go just as heavy on the speakers... i suggest infinities... thier reference component system sounds great where they sit in the door... you have to cut a hole to mount the tweeters, though... but no biggie

the specs say that the set will hold 290 watts total, so you're good to go...

infinities other component sets are pricier, but they are supposed to sound better... my car will be treated to kappa perfects at like $600 a set :D

hope this helps...

Derick

RCracer
06-08-2002, 03:16 AM
Hi
I used to work at the local car audio centre (thats why I wont buy from them). I know what mark up there is on stuff and the tight B***ard wont even give me a good discount.
I dont like pioneer I think that goes back to when pioneer brought the first removable front stereos out and they were somewhat unreliable and I had to repair nearly every one that was sold.
I have a set of alpines 6x9 that have been great and I have my Infinity 6x9 which will be going back in as soon as I can get everythig else sorted.
I am interested in what size speakers people have used and still been able to use the original speaker cover/trim that still let you wind the widow down all the way to the bottom.

A20A1
06-08-2002, 12:48 PM
Oh well I use Pioneer 220 watts in the front... they don't hit the window... but the connectors for the wires on the back, as well as the magnet, may hit the plastic cup that holds the speaker.

I just cut off the rear portion of the plastic cup and it fits in.

87accordlxi
06-09-2002, 09:53 AM
i did the same thing A20A1 did with my pioneers. i had to cut the plastic out of the back and the window rolls down fine. in any case, i'd vouch for pioneers

shepherd79
06-09-2002, 11:52 AM
i just ordered alpine 6 1/2 speakers 4 of them. i love alpine. i think they are the best. I would recoment getting good speakers, don't spend less than $100. Good speakers always high on price.
Try Ebay see if you can find something.
Make sure surrounding for the woofer is rubber. it will give you better response on bass.
Go with Alpine Type R speakers. they are great, and they can handle a lot of power.

damackz
06-09-2002, 11:44 PM
true i went with a smaller 5 1/4 instead of tha 6.5 and they fit great. I still get some bass out of it which kinda bugs me but other then that they are sweet. 6.5 in tha back tho

killerb09
06-11-2002, 06:15 AM
hey i saw a set of teh new MA audio components on saturday....looked really nice and were really cheap for a component set....

if you lookinf for quality sound go with a set of 6.5" component set....or even a 5.25" component set up fron and mount your tweets in teh dash....

teh 5.25" will fit nicely adn the 6.5" will need to be modded a bit....nothing serious though...

I like the Johna stuff from Fusion or even their power plant line....really good stuff for a decent price.....adn you get a niffty atache case to boot...

NOAHS88accord
06-11-2002, 05:43 PM
Ok here is what i did i bought a set of the INFINITY KAPPA series components and installed the mid where the factory speaker went. then installed the tweeter on the back side of the sideview mirror excellent sound probably the best i have ever heard of a component set i recommend the INFINITY KAPPA series PLUS THEY HAVE A 3 YEAR WARRANTY !!!!!

FO SHO
NOAH

gr3k0sLaV
06-14-2002, 04:50 AM
I tested out a pair of Blaupunkt Overdrives, splits........absolutely fucking sweet!

They're on special two from $450 to $220.

Ive got a JVC mp3 headunit on layby, once that's paid the Blau Punkts next I will get.

I recommend them.

shepherd79
06-14-2002, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by gr3k0sLaV
I tested out a pair of Blaupunkt Overdrives, splits........absolutely fucking sweet!

Yeah, they are may be sweet on holding the power, but they suck on sound. i went to locar dealer and i tested the overdrive 6 1/2 and alpine 6 1/2 and i tell you what overdrive was missing a lot of high, yeah it had boom to it but no high. try to test them against other speakers, but i wouldn't recoment them.
Alpine Type R is the way to go.

gr3k0sLaV
06-14-2002, 06:39 AM
I found they were nice and clear, but they had NO bass to 'em whatsoever, which is fine considering that's what the subby is for...

This place I go to a pretty decent range from Earthquake, MTX, JVC, Blaupunkt, Pioneer, MB Quartz

I havent decided finally what I want, since im getting a JVC HU i might as well stick with JVC speakers but the nagain.

I didn't mind these Kenwood 220w 6inch splits I say, they were about $249....

dunno what else you recommend?

Speakers are next after paying off this Head unit.....
I'm paying an extra $120 and getting the next model up with Sub Output control, stacker control....$520, not bad.

http://www.jvc-australia.com/product2.asp?859
http://www.jvc-australia.com/pics/products/KD-SX985_l.jpg

Next comes speakers, then sub + amp.
Then Ill have a nice loud/bassy exhaust....

and ill be the only person in my town with a done up 3-gee accord.
Just need to get my freekin spoiler done, gotta order my crx front lip...
AND BlAh! blerk! bleh!

Head unit $520 Speakers $800 Amp $500, Phat exhaust $250 spoilers $300 V-tec motor + swap $5000 Turbo + Loud blow off $3000 repspray $2000 lowering $300 17inch rims $2000 .... Cruising past my ex-girlfriends school while she is dating some weiner without a car...priceless......showing off is always fun, it helps to have some dosh to do it though. For that, you need A mastercard.

Lockey
06-18-2002, 01:28 AM
had 4*6 inchers and an e.q (10 band i think) lol

im putting fosgate x 6.5s in useing drain pipe angled and some fiber glassing :)

i know those infinity uni planes will fit in for sure :)

but audition speakers in person ...to match your taste

also there is nuthing stopping you going for 5.25's either..use a bracer plate and you could possible get a higher model(bigger magnet,better sound) and fit it in the same space