PDA

View Full Version : damperfork thing?

meohmy01
06-16-2003, 07:14 PM
i'm sorry, i know i have seen this on here before however i really don't know what to search for. i am going to do new halfshafts on my friends 3g and i'm just planning ahead. if i cant get that bolt out of the damper fork thing (the whatchamacallit undernneath it). i can't get mine out of my 88 but that's kind of a side project and can wait. this howver cannot. just wondering what solutions you guys have come up with.

88LXi68
06-16-2003, 07:19 PM
1) EASIEST AND CHEAPEST
take apart the end of the axle that goes into the tranny and then slide it through the fork. Once it has gone through reassemble it underneath the car. You will need 2 people.

2)
Take the whole LOWER control arm off. This means unbolting the radius rod, lower ball joint, the upper pinch fork, and the body to arm bolt. Then once that is unbolted pop your axle out. Then dismantle the end of the axle again. lol

Not many options if you can't get the bolt out and are pressed for time. If you do have time remove the arms and get new bushings pressed in and new bolts!

dosh8er
06-16-2003, 08:04 PM
heh, heh heh... yes, i remember THAT project. I was pressed for time, I did take off the dampner fork bolt / lower control arm bolt bushing deal, (w/ a torch, if that tells you anything) and i ended up fscking the hell out of the new bushing i put back in there.

It's easy to replace halfshafts/cv joints, just dismantle one end, slide it on through and reassemble. a LOT easier. However, If you have time, those bushings could use replacing, (if you have any kind of milage on there like I do) since they are a major point in the suspension.

anchovies
06-16-2003, 10:05 PM
If you need those bushings, I have it for sale.
If you need it, PM me.

ACCORD EX
06-17-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by 88LXi68
1) EASIEST AND CHEAPEST
take apart the end of the axle that goes into the tranny and then slide it through the fork. Once it has gone through reassemble it underneath the car. You will need 2 people.

is that the easiest solution ! ???
man i woudln't take the CV joint apart !
anyway in the short axle you 'll be stuck by the dynamic damper and it's a bitch to remove !

MIKE

dosh8er
06-17-2003, 07:47 AM
Accord EX: you know i got my new driveshafts, and found out that I didn't have the dampner on the passenger side shaft... and i didn't feel like taking it off the old one and putting it on the new one...

I *think* it was only a manual transmission deal.. i don't know why either. eh.. whatever

meohmy01
06-17-2003, 05:46 PM
ok. sorry i would have replied to this sooner but i never got an email saying i had responses. i'm not sure that i want to take the end of the axle apart. i have air tools if that makes a differance. even though my impact wrench couldn't get it out of my 88. if i cut the head of the bolt off with an air powered cutoff tool what is involved in replaceing the bushing? is it possible?

meohmy01
06-17-2003, 06:00 PM
if i end up having to take the cv joint apart how difficult is that?

not sure if i stated this before but this car is an 89 accored lx sedan with 126k on it.

ACCORD EX
06-18-2003, 02:21 PM
i don't like the sound of taking the joints apart ! :( it's not easy and i want do it to a brand new axle ! ! which you won't be able to seal as good as factory !

MIKE

wthramann
06-18-2003, 05:59 PM
I had this same problem years ago. I bought an electric impact wrench with 240 ft-lbs of force, no go. I brought it to a garage, no go. I broght it to a Honda dealer, they used 88LXi68's first method! Mike aren't you doing the same job? How did it go?

88fasthatch
06-18-2003, 06:30 PM
Follow the fucking repair manual. takes me 20 minutes a side cause I do it every two months.( bought cheap ass axels cause I beat the shit out of them, plus came with lifetime warrenty.) The only thing you have to rememeber is to torqe the lower pinch fork, or strut fork after the wieght of the car is on it or you will twist and destroy the bushing!!!

MrBen
06-18-2003, 06:35 PM
Not everyone has done this job, 88fasthatch. Therefore, not everyone knows how to do it. The purpose of this site is to help people... not tell them to follow "the fucking repair manual."

88fasthatch
06-18-2003, 06:51 PM
ghetto, Is the repair manual not the best best place to start, read the procedures once or twice and then ask questions if needed. The procedure in the HONDA repair book is the most logical I have ever seen. AND PLUS IT IS PUT OUT BY HONDA!!:tongue: was not trying to be a dick just study the book thats all.:stick:

88LXi68
06-18-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by 88fasthatch
Follow the fucking repair manual. takes me 20 minutes a side cause I do it every two months.( bought cheap ass axels cause I beat the shit out of them, plus came with lifetime warrenty.) The only thing you have to rememeber is to torqe the lower pinch fork, or strut fork after the wieght of the car is on it or you will twist and destroy the bushing!!!

The problem is he can't do it the way you are SUPPOSED to do it because of elements he has no control over. Meohmy, if the fork doesnt come off just take the axle apart and you will be ok and will be done quicker than trying to piss around with the fork.

meohmy01
06-18-2003, 07:25 PM
yea i took them out of my 88 today since it has no engine at the moment and just wanted to check it out. is it possible to buy the little metal zip tie looking things that hold the boot on since that obviously had to be removed in order to take off the end of the axle.

i also have another question. there is a big gash in the outer cv joint boot on my 94 accord on the passenger side. it is leaking grease everywhere and destroying my rim so i'd really like to fix it. however i'm not possitive on whether or not it is possible to remove and replave that boot without removing everything at the other end. and yes i did "read the fucking manual" i have also seen those quick boots. what's that all about?

88LXi68
06-18-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by meohmy01
yea i took them out of my 88 today since it has no engine at the moment and just wanted to check it out. is it possible to buy the little metal zip tie looking things that hold the boot on since that obviously had to be removed in order to take off the end of the axle.

i also have another question. there is a big gash in the outer cv joint boot on my 94 accord on the passenger side. it is leaking grease everywhere and destroying my rim so i'd really like to fix it. however i'm not possitive on whether or not it is possible to remove and replave that boot without removing everything at the other end. and yes i did "read the fucking manual" i have also seen those quick boots. what's that all about?

Yea you can buy those little metal zip ties. any auto parts store should have them and yes you can replace the outer boot on your 5g axle. They sell a kit for this.

anchovies
06-18-2003, 10:08 PM
Good luck putting the "metal zip ties" on. It's a bitch.

ACCORD EX
06-20-2003, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by anchovies
Good luck putting the "metal zip ties" on. It's a bitch.

i would recommend gettinga clamping tool for that ! pretty cheap but effective !

MIKE