PDA

View Full Version : Thermowax valve A threading compatible with thermosensor???

mindlos
06-17-2003, 10:02 AM
Is the hole and threading for the thermowax valve on the thermostat housing compatible with the threading on a thermosensor that goes on the intake manifold (for the temp gauge)?????????

I dont need the thermowax valve (no more vacuum lines). I also bypassed the intake manifold coolant lines hence my temp gauge is always zero!! I'm so paranoid (makes me wanna shit my pants every time I drive) about not knowing when my engine will overheat that I got a second thermosensor to mount somewhere, and I thought that would be a decent spot if it fit.

A20A1
06-17-2003, 12:22 PM
The temp sensor at the rear of the manifold fits into the coolant bleed hole I believe, on the thermostat.

the 2 thermal valves on the back of the manifold are the same size as the one on the thermostat... so test fit on the intake mani first then install it on the thermostat.

as for an after market sensor... I got one that fits perfectly into the radiator coolant sensor that activates the fans. but then had to have the fans turn on constantly since i removed the sensor.

mindlos
06-27-2003, 03:45 PM
I finally tried it. The intake manifold thermosensor has twice as fine threading as the bleed hole. It threads in but does not lock when fully in. It does not leak either so its good enough for me. Now I got a temp sensor.

A20A1
06-27-2003, 04:46 PM
o I thought you were talking about the thermovalves.

shepherd79
06-27-2003, 04:58 PM
if you swap the EFI thermostat housing it will be a lot better.

mindlos
06-27-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by A20A1
o I thought you were talking about the thermovalves.

Ya, I was. But I was on my way to get it and I still thought it was the same size the radiator thermosensor until I saw it (I hadnt bothered to look under the manifold for the sensor). You first reply was spot on. I just didnt wanna remove and use my stock one in case whatnot happens in the future.

Originally posted by shepherd79
if you swap the EFI thermostat housing it will be a lot better.

I would, and maybe will if I develop another complication (I already broke and drilled one of the bolts for the housing cover). I also dread the air suction and EGR tube interference since I still have those there.