PDA

View Full Version : water pump

Immeraufdemhund
06-17-2003, 05:55 PM
i ordered a GMB water pump yesterday. And i have a fairly good idea of what to do. I took off my friends water pump the other day. besides the 4 bolts is there anything i should be aware of, or need to do to succesfully take off and put back on this pump? any tips/ tricks... experiances. thanx guys.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I just got done reading all the other things about the water pump. Goodness i'm blind. But i did notice one thing. It says remove the double threaded bolt. I found out that you dont need to take it off. The water pump comes off just fine with it still on there. so other than the 7 bolts (3 pulley, 4 water pump), draining and cleaning the radiator, and puting it all back together that's it?

CARBurn
06-17-2003, 07:53 PM
Yeah that should be it, don't forget the sealant... I know that when I replaced my water pump, I forgot about the bolt that was hidden near the bottom timing cover and ended up breaking a part of the old water pump, oh well, lesson learned from experience.

DBMaster
06-18-2003, 06:14 AM
Just a piece of advice. If you haven't put the GMB pump on yet return it to the parts store and buy a Honda pump. They are $37 at hondaautomitiveparts.com. The GMB pumps are OK, but Honda's bearing/sela design is better. You don't want to have to do this job too many times, lifetime warranty, or not.

AccordEpicenter
06-18-2003, 11:47 AM
yeah believe me I can vouch for that, I dont know who made the reman pump i had in my lxi, but it only lasted less than 30k miles and man was it on its way out... catastrophic bearing failure. For your own good stick with the honda water pump on that one.

DBMaster
06-18-2003, 08:54 PM
I had a bearing about to go out after only 18,000 miles on a BRAND NEW, lifetime warrantied water pump from NAPA. It actually cost me $45 which was more than the genuine Honda pump. The bearing got noisier and noisier and there began to be play in the shaft. I did not waste time and replaced it with the Honda part. That was about 40,000 miles ago.

79EK1
06-19-2003, 08:42 AM
Whether you use a Honda or aftermarket water pump, it will last a lot longer if you don't overtighten the belt. I was going through waterpumps every 10-15k miles before I found this out. The last one I put in (GMB) has over 45k on it. I replaced it as part of a shortblock rebuild, but it was still in good shape when I took it out.

AccordEpicenter
06-19-2003, 09:02 AM
yeah thats very important too... but there still is no better pump than the honda one

DBMaster
06-19-2003, 11:07 AM
I also noted that my pulley was not "true." It is worth spending $20 for a new one because an out of true pulley will wear out the bearing faster as well. Mine has been that way for years and it never phased the Honda pump, but since I had to pull the aftermarket one to replace it I went ahead and replaced the pully at the same time.

Immeraufdemhund
06-19-2003, 06:25 PM
i think in one of the market place posts someone said get the GMB because it doesn't surge as much as the HOnda one. Which keeps the engine at a more constant temp. That's why i got one GMB.