PDA

View Full Version : Need Help, car is reving like crazy

TigaMan10
06-17-2003, 06:08 PM
It don't need water, for some reason that is the first thing that comes out of every bodies mouth when i tell them my problem. when i usually start my car, it revs up and the starts to idle. but then if i let it run for like a min. it will start reving like i am taping on the gas. The igf light is also on. and i got it checked out they said that it is the vacume system that isn't working right. my car is a 86 honda accord lxi. if any body can help me figure out why my car is reving like that. and what it takes to fix it, i will realy appreciate it. thanks.
tiga

charlesb2003
06-17-2003, 06:24 PM
i had 2 87 LX-i's that both did that... changed the idle air valve, it stopped. they both idle smooth now.

Immeraufdemhund
06-17-2003, 06:31 PM
my lude did that. Put i had to pull on the accelorator to get it to stop. Well it was similar. After driving a little bit the pedal would stick a little. I dont know if it was the pedal or the spring. Annoyed the hell out of me, so i sold it when the water hose broke somewere on the thing. I loved that car, but hated it because of the problems it gave me....

anchovies
06-17-2003, 08:26 PM
This topic has been discussed alot of times.
You can check the other posts.
You can also check the computer code by opening a little flap in the box under the drivers seat from the back. Then check the FAQ for what the code stands for.

Elijah
06-17-2003, 09:53 PM
Ya it seems like all the LX-i's I have had do that I had 2 86 and 1 89.

Lost azn
06-18-2003, 02:20 PM
WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a similar problem with my car... When it is cold, I start it up.. It flys up to 3000 to 3200 rpm. It stays that high till the car is fully warmed up.... I have to fix this problem. I think I wake up all my neibors in the mornings....... Its not intentional.. LOL.... Well i wish I could help you..... Were almost in thah same BoaT... Dam,n

Lost azn
06-18-2003, 02:23 PM
k wait?????????? Where is thah IDLE AIR VALVE LOCATED????? Sorry I am used to workin on Fuel injected cars....

TigaMan10
06-19-2003, 03:51 PM
the lxi is fuel injected

POS carb
06-19-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Lost azn
k wait?????????? Where is thah IDLE AIR VALVE LOCATED????? Sorry I am used to workin on Fuel injected cars....

you need to look at a diagram for your carb, you need to mess with the fast idle, there's a tiny screw on the back of the throttle bracket that can lower it, mine had a yellow paint mark on it

charlesb2003
06-19-2003, 08:10 PM
the idle air valve is on the back of the intake manifold to the right of the stock air filter box. the top is visible and is sort of brass colord, roundish with 2 screws in it. it'll probably have a little green and white checkerboard looking sticker on it. it's held on by 3 bolts and there are 2 coolant lines going to the bottom of it. i don't have a digi cam or else i would have taken a pic...

and don't even think about trying to change this part when the engine's hot.. trust me it's not a good idea

SteveDX89
06-22-2003, 08:58 AM
Aren't the carbed models supposed to rev up like that when you start them cold? Mine has always done that and when it gets warm, the rpm's drop back to normal.

88' Accord Ltd
06-22-2003, 02:54 PM
Yes the carbed models are supposed to idle high then kick down themselves afterwards..I used to have 2 carbed 3gs and they used to idle at like 3k until they warmed up a bit or i kicked them down. Now with my EFI is idles high at maybe 1500 on a bad day..:D

87accordlxph
06-22-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by 88' Accord Ltd
Yes the carbed models are supposed to idle high then kick down themselves afterwards..I used to have 2 carbed 3gs and they used to idle at like 3k until they warmed up a bit or i kicked them down. Now with my EFI is idles high at maybe 1500 on a bad day..:D

That's normal for FI.

wannaswapab20
07-20-2003, 07:43 PM
does it have cruise control?
because on teh right side of the intake manifold the thing that says PGM FI on theres like things sticking out of the side like holds plug them

joebeets
07-21-2003, 05:04 AM
To the high idle DX: Have an AT? Mine did that for a year until I figured it out. See my previous posts.

Dibbs
07-22-2003, 08:33 AM
POS...You can adjust the fast idle valve on the carbs? Lucky SOB's! The spring in mine is shot and I can't just replace THAT spring. I gotta get the whole thing. It sucks!