PDA

View Full Version : Car runs fine, but won't start...

RedneckRicer
06-17-2003, 08:53 PM
okay, i have an 88 LXi 4 door, was an automatic and now its a 5speed, and all of the sudden, she stops starting at random. it turns over and over and over, but never sputters or attempts to fire. it has good spark coming from the coil, and sometimes i smell gas while attempting to start it. once it starts, it makes a big cloud of ' i've just been flooded ' smoke, but doesn't hesitate, sputter, or anything. i've changed the fuel filter twice in the past year ( bad the first time, but clean the second time) theres been several tanks of gas from different places that its done it on, so its not bad gas. It also does it whether the tank is full or almost empty. Since it started i've replaced cap and rotor, which were still in good shape. I have good wires, and plugs. i'm really stumped, especially since when it starts it runs perfectly. Does anyone have an idea of WTF this is??? it just randomly started and it keeps doing it. What did my 3gee smoke????

RedneckRicer
06-17-2003, 08:55 PM
BTW - the swap was done about a year ago, and the problems started last month....:crying:

A20A1
06-17-2003, 09:19 PM
recheck the connections for ground wires, battery wires, and wires to the starter... wiggle then like you're trying to pull them off and see if they move at all.

other then that... maybe some TB cleaner.

thats about all i can help... I'm not an EFI guru. :lol

RedneckRicer
06-17-2003, 10:35 PM
i do have the battery relocated too.... i'll start checking after work tomorrow, but hey, my dad was being nice and is letting me drive his frame off restored '72 Blazer, lifted w/ 35's. thats worthy of a broken ground wire :D

anchovies
06-18-2003, 11:26 AM
Do you hear the main relay clicking?
Is the interior hot when it doesn't start, or does it do it all the time?

ACCORD EX
06-18-2003, 02:29 PM
isn't this called flooding ?? when car is flooded with gas and once it starts it creates a lot of smoke ! ? how can this be fixed ?? float level ?mixture! ?

MIKE

RedneckRicer
06-18-2003, 06:50 PM
My car's fuel injected so i don't think i should have a problem with flooding. the car turns over as if its trying to start yet it doesn't sputter like its going to start, it just turns over like you have the coil to distributor wire unplugged (but the wire has power, sparks like a mofo) . It sorta just happens at random too, mostly when i don't want it to happen.... i think my car is just a tempramental bitch, lol. although yesterday i spent an hour trying to start it, and used some starting fluid on it, hesitantly, and it sputtered then died a couple times, and my dad came over, and without remorse got it going on the starting fluid and revved it to 4k until it wanted to run. so is there something thats not telling the motor to send fuel when i'm starting it and its shorting out at random?