PDA

View Full Version : camshaft change

rdn
06-18-2003, 06:41 AM
Hi guys..and greetings from sweden! :)

i'm new here....just bought an accord '88 sounding like a diesel..:) the camsghaft turned to be the prob. Now, considering the price i paid for the car (arround 250-300$) and the price to buy new things (6-700$) i've decided to buy a used one. So i bought a complet half of the engine :) with camshaft and rocker arms..etc..in it (from an accord that went 60K miles)

The question i hope you could help me with is...is it necesarry to change the whole 'top' of the engine (replecing the old one with the one i got) or is it enough to change only camshaft and roker arms?

thank's!

dXsquared
06-18-2003, 07:31 AM
well... it depends on whats the problem... you can just change the cam if thats all it needs... while your at it, get the cam reground for a little more performance... read the how to section for a guide on replacing the cam..

visit www.deltacam.com for info on regrinding the cam

bobafett
06-18-2003, 08:02 AM
he is in sweden. i dont think its worth it for him to get a delta grind.

i would use everything from the 60k miles engine, simply because its younger, and presumably has less wear and tear on it.

but its your call, and depends on how much time or money you have! :) either way would work

rdn
06-18-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
well... it depends on whats the problem... you can just change the cam if thats all it needs... while your at it, get the cam reground for a little more performance... read the how to section for a guide on replacing the cam..

visit www.deltacam.com for info on regrinding the cam

the problem (according to the 'honda' guys here) is the camshaft (it looks like the former owners never had oil in the engine)

Originally posted by bobafett
he is in sweden. i dont think its worth it for him to get a delta grind.

i would use everything from the 60k miles engine, simply because its younger, and presumably has less wear and tear on it.

but its your call, and depends on how much time or money you have! either way would work

that's correct bob...this is not a matter of money...i am not looking for performance...just for the 'honda-feeling'...which i allready have..but the sound is anoying :)...this is basicaly a matter of the amount of job to be done...if i could, i would rather change camshaft and roker arms (and anything that wouldn't imply major removals)...would the old valves still do the job in the new configuration? (changing valves would imply removal of the top of the engine...which i would rather skip)....

thank's for the prompt answers!

btw...thank's 'accord ex' for the 'how to on camshafts'...my dog would fix it with the instructions you provided :)

(sorry for the english :))

AccordEpicenter
06-18-2003, 11:41 AM
If i were you, and you had problems like that, Id just change the head and leave all the parts on there. Chances are if the cam was damaged and so were the rockers etc, the cam journals are probably scarred and thats a bad thing, so it probably needs a head anyways

1988starter
06-19-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by rdn

btw...thank's 'accord ex' for the 'how to on camshafts'...my dog would fix it with the instructions you provided :)

(sorry for the english :))

Wait a minute I wrote that how to he just posted it lets give credit where credits due:lol

rdn
06-21-2003, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by 1988starter
Wait a minute I wrote that how to he just posted it lets give credit where credits due:lol

sorry mate....my mistake :)

rdn
06-21-2003, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by AccordEpicenter
If i were you, and you had problems like that, Id just change the head and leave all the parts on there. Chances are if the cam was damaged and so were the rockers etc, the cam journals are probably scarred and thats a bad thing, so it probably needs a head anyways

i guess you are right...i'll do that....is it necesary to remove the injection unit before lifting the head?...or can it remain atached to it....i saw some screws pretty tricky to reach there...