PDA

View Full Version : window security info please

POS carb
06-18-2003, 09:42 AM
the inevitable happened and I found my window in a pile on the ground after leaving my ride for 5 minutes at the mall and some shit was stolen.
I've been reading about window safety tints and was wondering if anybody has ever dealt with this stuff and if it would actually provide protection even if the glass is smashed.
Here's a link: http://www.armorcoatfilms.com/Products/Safety.cfm
rest in pieces fucking thieves :werd:

shepherd79
06-18-2003, 11:58 AM
sorry to hear about your window.
i heard about that film. i wish i had money for it.

POS carb
06-20-2003, 09:47 AM
nobody reads this forum lol
I have an appointment for 8:30 on monday to get the 8mil paper installed, they said they can only do the side windows but the front and rear are too curved to do it so I dunno I'll figure outsomething for those. They have mirror film or clear so I'll get the mirror one put on and I'll take some pics, kind of tempted to go smash my window once it's done :D

MrBen
06-20-2003, 09:53 AM
I dunno I wouldnt waste my money on it. On our cars, it's easy to just jimmy the window out and use a hook to unlock the door. Probably takes 10 seconds.

POS carb
06-21-2003, 06:52 AM
yea but plans include removal of door lock mechanisms from all doors and remounting the lock/unlock switch somewhere in the dash. My only keyhole is in the driver door so I can mount the impact sensor in that door to make that side the most sensitive and also the alarm I ordered has microwave sensors that detect motion inside the car and a glass break sensor as well and I'm also getting a high dB siren to mount on the interior, hopefully I can mount it in the vents over the radio so that if anybody does actually get inside the noise will be so unbearable they'll leave quicker. If I had the time I would actually put a whole different door lock system (just one I thought of, I don't think any other cars have it and it is SOOO easy just time consuming and I have to draw up all the plans myself)

I'm going on a crusade to make my car inpenetrable :super:
a programmable talking alarm would be sweet though... "Warning... Get the fuck away from the car if you value your life!" :D

Dia Fria Claro
06-23-2003, 03:54 PM
lol...why don't you get that shocker thing they have now that electrifies the outside when the alarm goes off

then you can screw up and zap yourself :lol

accordlx
06-25-2003, 03:42 AM
I don't have any experience with this particular product but have dealt with a car in an accident with double tinted windows. Here is what I can tell you. Due to the fact that the window was double tinted, the glass stayed 98% attached to the glass and did not per se shatter everywhere all over my car. Since the tint was not attached to the window frame on every side of the window, the glass did come out of the frame. It seems to me that you would have a similar result if someone hit your window with a baseball bat or a brick to break in. The window would just stay in one peice allowing the criminal to enter your vehicle but would still come out of the frame. It would allow for a faster cleanup for you but would not make it so that he could not break the window. The only way to stop someone from breaking your window would be to replace the glass in the car with something like custom made Lucite (plexiglass) panes or bulletproof glass. That would be very expensive. Remember, locks and alarms are to keep the more honest people honest. If someone wants in your car bad enough, they will get in.