PDA

View Full Version : retarded Thermostat!

Immeraufdemhund
06-18-2003, 11:43 AM
Ugh i've taken off the thermostate housing, but one of the bolts broke off. So i ran to advance got the drill set to get that piece out. Well not only will it not come out in the process i broke off one of the retarded stupid garbage made of plastic thing by the thermostat. It's connected to line 12. What does that control, will my car die or do any badnesses with that off? This car hates me now that i said i might sell it... I said i was sorry what else does it want?:(

-=-=-=-=--
at the rate it's going i'm not going to sell the dumb thing i'm going to run it off of a cliff after it over heats so the head and the block warps! Now the bottom bolt that held the thermostat atleast somewhat air tight broke, now i can't get the thing to stay on at all. make it worse no one at advance has one, and i can't get it off the car even. so now i have 2 questions the first one up above, and this one.... HOW DO I GET THE DAMN THING OFF! :mad: :burn: :mad: :burn:

A20A1
06-18-2003, 11:34 PM
Woah ... I'm going to let someone else handle this... my brains in a bit of a whirl.

DBMaster
06-19-2003, 06:03 AM
Well, one of those "retarded stupid garbage made of plastic things" is the coolant temp sensor for your dashboard gauge and the other is the coolant temp sensor gauge for your ECM.

I actually need to look in my shop manual later (maybe someone here can do it during the day) as I don't know if the carbed engines have the one for the ECM. Mine has two, one is green and the other is white.

Either way, you are going to need to replace it. If you get desperate and can't get out the broken bolt you can actually unbolt the bottom part of the housing from the head and replace the whole thing!

AccordEpicenter
06-19-2003, 01:37 PM
yeah i would reccomend running to the jy and grabbing one, its not worth dicking around with the broken one... most pick a parts will let you have the housing and cover for $5-$10

Immeraufdemhund
06-19-2003, 06:29 PM
my biggest problem is getting the thing off. I can't get the bottom bolt off of the entire covering. (the one that holds the 2 sensors and I think it's the hose going to my heater) but that #12 hose connects into something that is on the thermostat housing. THere are 2 rubber lines (12, ???) and it has a rubber cap on top. It looks kinda strange because i was expecting to see inside the little plastic thing but it's blocked. Strangggeeee...... any suggestions (besides the trusty plasma cutter or the cutting torch) on how to get the thing off.?

Immeraufdemhund
06-19-2003, 07:04 PM
looks like hondavtec had the same problem as me! i'm goign to try what it says and report back.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4333&highlight=thermostat+and+housing

wthramann
06-20-2003, 06:35 AM
It is nice to know I am not the only one who has/had this problem. I ended up having the broken bolt drilled out of the housing and using a bolt and nut to secure the thermostat housing. Those plastic pieces are delicate, I cracked mine too.

Immeraufdemhund
06-20-2003, 12:23 PM
YAHOOOO!OO!!!. I done did it! Ok but i have a better how to than the on at that place. To get the whole freaking thing off.
Tools:
LIQUID WRENCH!!!!
24mm box end wrench
12mm wratchet and wrench
10mm ratchet and wrench
Pliers

first take off all the plugs and hoses attached to your thermostat housing (2 small hoses, 1 bigger one, 2 connections [sensors] and 1 wire). If you can see the bottom bolt on their spray some liquid wrench on there NOW, get that baby loose with that stuff. Also take off the thermostat housing and set that hose asside and set the thermostat asside

I have a cold air intake that is in the way, so you might want to remove the pipes going to their if you have stock or cai.

Take off the distributor (3 bolts i think 10mm if not 12mm) and the one large connection to that, plus the coil wire. Set that asside (i put it as close to my radiator as possible)

take off the EGR tube. (2 10mm bolts) and also take off the one attached to your exaust manifold (24mm box end will do it, if not a good pair of channel locks or pipe wrench) push that out of the way.

now here is the tricky part. Get a 1/4" 3" extension. a 12mm 1/4" wratchet. A 3/8" -> 1/4" adaptor a 3" or 6" 3/8" extension. and of course a 3/8" wratchet wrench. Put the 1/4" together and get it on that bolt on the bottom. (it's a little trickey but it should end up flush with the thermostat housing) put on the adaptor and the rest of the stuff. Give it a good hit with your hand to knock it loose or you can force it. (grandpa showed me the trick to hit it a couple of times with your hand: a. so you don't strip the bolt, b. it breaks the bolt so you dont have to strain too hard...but not litterly break, just break loose). IT"S OFF!!.. now get the top one with a 12mm wrench and your set. Take that thing and if you dont need anything from it and have a bunch of stress from it... THROW IT AS FAR AS YOU CAN!.... (i had stuff i need from mine, so i had to kick the car!!!)

ps.. can i get that in the how to section?

wthramann
06-20-2003, 05:29 PM
Congrats. What did you pay for a new housing and sensor?

smufguy
06-20-2003, 09:58 PM
okay here is the deal. Which bolt snapped??? The one on the housing that u unbolt to take the thermostat out or the bolts that hold the thermostat housing onto the intake manifold?

If its the bolt on the housing that we unbolt to pull the thermostat, you know you can take it from a junkyard and put it in ur car.

If the bolts on the housing that bolts onto the manifold, Then u gotta find a way to Pull the broken stud off the manifold like Immeraufdemhund said.

wthramann
06-21-2003, 05:05 PM
Thanks for your interest. I solved this problem a couple years ago before I knew of the 3G board but had to pay for a tow to a garage for the bolt to be drilled out. It was the lower bolt on the housing that holds the cover/thermostat in place. I'll never forget it because I thought it was going to be a 5 minute job-like changing a light bulb.

Immeraufdemhund
06-21-2003, 05:32 PM
the top bolt that holds the cover for the thermostat. (i was goign to just change my thermostat). Then eventually the bottom bolt stripped the inside of the threads of the cover also. So now neither bolts work. And i tried the bolt extractor, still not coming out. I'm just going to put the cover on in place, drill out a hole, weld on a nut, and tighten her down. I'm also going to cut a little bit of a groove into the thermostat side and put in some forma gasket by the bolts.

Will cleaning the sensors increase the life? can i use Full strength purple power or should i dilude it and use some paper towels?

wthramann
06-23-2003, 08:37 AM
I thought you replaced the thermostat housing?

DBMaster
06-23-2003, 09:45 AM
That's weird. I have replaced my thermostat twice (when I do the timing belt/water pump job) and never had the bolts seize. I had a leak in the housing to head gasket while the car was still covered by warranty so the Honda dealer did that one.

You are to be congratulated because pulling the housing is a bit of a job!