PDA

View Full Version : Screwed up cam install!

jagojon3
06-20-2003, 06:38 AM
Ok I installed the delta cam and now my car won't run. When I put the new cam in, I hit the gear on the distributor and I may have put it on the wrong way, by that I mean 180 degrees off because the slots fit either way. Will the car run with the distributor bolts loosened?

AZmike
06-20-2003, 08:17 AM
The notch on the camshaft is offset so you shouldn't have been able to instal the distributor out of phase with it. The car will run with the distributor bolts a little loose, assuming the timing is still close, but if it's too loose the distributor will not turn and you won't have any spark. Did you mark the distributor's position before removing it? Do you have access to a timing light?

Sabz5150
06-20-2003, 09:14 AM
Always check the stupidest stuff... Take a look at your coil wires, plug wires, and also your ground wire on the valve cover. When I installed my headers I couldn't get my car running for three days because I knocked one of the coil wires loose. Didn't think to look there b/c it had nothing to do with a header install.

Otherwise, 89LXi is correct... you cannot install the distributor 180 degrees out of phase because the slots are offset. Unless you used a sledge and REALLY forced it, the distrib will only go in one way. Make sure your valve clearances are correct too.

ACCORD EX
06-20-2003, 03:01 PM
won't run ? you mean won't crank ? or won't start ?

MIKE

1988starter
06-20-2003, 04:33 PM
did you put your plug wires back on as if the cylinders lined up
1234 or the correct way 4321

AccordEpicenter
06-20-2003, 08:15 PM
check your timing belt, its probably off a few teeth

jagojon3
06-21-2003, 05:05 PM
Ok I got my car running!!!! But it runs like crap now... I am assuming the timing is way off. It seems to idle a little rougher and seems fine when I'm parked, but when I get moving she has almost no power. I moved the distributor to both directions all the way, and a few spots in the middle and no help. The only thing left could be the timing belt is off by a tooth or a few right? Please help!!!

cruznz
06-21-2003, 07:00 PM
check your valve and ignition timing

anchovies
06-21-2003, 10:07 PM
Go get a timing gun and set the timing correctly.

A20A1
06-22-2003, 01:30 AM
you didn't let the timing belt slip off the crank gear, when you removed the cam gear did you?

If you didn't keep constant tension then it's possible the belt may have moved a few teeth on the bottom.

I also sprayed some paint across the timing belt and cam gear so i would put it back the same way...

kinda late now.. but i'd thought I'd throw that in.

1988starter
06-22-2003, 09:33 AM
did you use the zip tyes to hold the belt inplace.

jagojon3
06-22-2003, 12:43 PM
Yes I did ziptie it in place... the only thing that could have happened is that is slipped off the crank pulley a few teeth.. I thought I kept constant tension on it but it's possible it slipped. I'm so sick of working on it... I'm just going to take it in to the shop and have them set the timing so it runs right, I don't want to screw anything else up. I believe I broke the cam in properly, holding it a 2500 rpm for a few mins and letting it idle and stuff, any other procedures I should go through to ensure good break in?

mindlos
06-22-2003, 01:45 PM
even if it slipped without you knowing you still should have checked that the top dead center mark on the flywheel aligns with the pointer when the cam gear notches align on the head with the "up" arm up. I would check that right now and should be easy to do, then worry about your timing.

jagojon3
06-22-2003, 05:40 PM
Ok I was looking for the TDC mark on the crank pulley and couldn't find it... so you say it's on the flywheel? how can i see it?

1988starter
06-22-2003, 06:00 PM
start by alinging the up mark on your cam sprocket to the top that should get you close then look in the hole under the distributer with a flash light it may have a rubber plug in it look here for a service manual to help. http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/
basically have a friend crank the pulley while you look for the mark.

jagojon3
06-24-2003, 12:48 PM
Ok I have an idea that my belt is off by a tooth... but this is the confusing part... When my engine is at TDC my cams lines up perfectly, but the belt could be tighter. Is it possible if both the engine and cam line up that the belt could still be off by a tooth? I am trying to locate the tensioner to move it but I can't find it...

mindlos
06-24-2003, 06:57 PM
you definitely need to pickup that slack and only turn the engine in normal rotation. The tensioner bolt is accessible via a hole on the lower timing belt cover. It actially sticks out. Look above the crank pulley and in infront of the waterpump pulley.

jagojon3
06-24-2003, 09:56 PM
CRAP!!! I just dropped my woodruff key down in the timing cover. I took some of the lower bolts off to try and pry it out a bit but IT WON'T BUDGE, IT'S SO DAMN RIDGID. Any suggestions? So far I have put about 15 hours of work into this cam install...

1988starter
06-25-2003, 07:45 AM
I did the same thing so I used my extendiable magnet to get it I bought the magnet for like 2 bucks at pepboys I have never been happier.

mindlos
06-25-2003, 08:37 AM
I did that too and it sucks major ass!! mine made it to the bottom underneath the belt. I unbolted the cover and pried it open then tried to swipe it out with a bent wire. Couldnt get it so I ended up removing the crank pulley. Thanks to my impact wrench it was quick.

jagojon3
06-25-2003, 01:51 PM
Ok forget about the woodruff key I have another... But I can't get the belt loose or tighten it!!! I loosened the tensioner bolt quite a bit, but the belt is not loosening up. Do I have to move it after it's lose, and if so, how do I do it? It doesn't seem to be able to move...

mindlos
06-25-2003, 02:25 PM
you are not supposed to remove the tensioner bolt ... at least that what I read. Maybe you should jiggle the tensioner as it might be frozen, or spray some penetrant. at the mechanism.

jagojon3
06-25-2003, 10:31 PM
So does this tensioner work just like any other belt tensioner? Like you don't have to loosen the bolt you just swing the arm out using the bolt to grab on to?

88LXi/87CRXSi
06-26-2003, 02:26 PM
The tensioner is spring loaded. Try what mindlos suiggested see if it's seized. Didn't 89AccordNate (RIP) have problems with his?
Don't know if this will help, but this is all you have to do, if the tensioner is ok.

jagojon3
06-28-2003, 01:23 PM
Ok I got the car all back together and started it and it still runs like crap. I am so sick of working on it, I am just taking it to a shop next week and hopefully they can fix it. Once I find out what the problem really was I'll let you guys know.

rocky2
06-28-2003, 06:11 PM
I was just wondering if you had the plugs out of engine when u were trying to set marks up and timing belt? You line up the crank wooddruff ket hole to the mark on the block,I like to stick a long thin screwdriver into #1 plug hole when finding TDC. Question? Did you forceably turn engine over? If so you may have bent a valve. Timing marks must be set at times with all rocker arm bolts loose(backed off),when finding this mark on cam. Also when u installed cam ...valves have to be adjusted....was there a little play in each one?

jagojon3
06-29-2003, 04:44 PM
Yes I adjusted valve lash 6 intake 8 exhaust and i did have the plugs out. I did not bend a valve, I would have known. Thanks for the help everybody, even tho I didn't get it running! Wish my mechanic better luck than I had!

1988starter
07-07-2003, 06:36 PM
What ever happned with your car also what other mods have you done.

jagojon3
07-07-2003, 09:06 PM
Ended up being wrong firing order and distributor was way off. Other mods I have are a short ram, tokico struts and a strut bar