PDA

View Full Version : Drivetrain???

od2681
06-20-2003, 04:22 PM
Hi....i was just talkin to mechanic about my car and stuff...and was askin him that was it worth it spendin money on the motor of my 3gee .....he was like its ok but the thing is that front wheel cars have weak trannies and axles....He meant like if you get up to an extra 60 horsepower....he says you probably have to do a lot to the axles and tranny cuzz first its an old car and its front wheel drive....so is he right..he says its useless to spend money on the motor and says that its better to get arear wheel drive car....he used to do performance stuff like turbochargers and superchargers but he doesnt anymore..anyways he says that the 240sx's drivetrain is like the pickup truck so he says that is the best car for me....So basically this my fork in the road...do i get a 240 and work on that or stay with the 3gee with the drivetrain in mind..

Illicit3rdgenRacer
06-20-2003, 04:48 PM
well he is somewhat right and somewhat not right i mena yea when you get a certain amount of horsepower you would still have to upgrade your axle but tha tranny should be able to take tha punishment. Just upgrade your clutch but like eventually even with tha 240 you still have to upgrade driveshafts and axles on it. But i understand wheres hes coming from i went though 4 axles on my 3gee but thats with anycar 3rd gens 4eva homie!!!!!!! :-)

89AcCOrDmike
06-20-2003, 05:46 PM
I think it really depends on how much of a performance car you really want to make it into to, if your just adding horses to have a more powerful car for everyday driving then i don't think you should get a new car, but if your plan is to build a racing car that you are gonna do a ton of engine mods to, then i think its right to get rwd.....

Blue Impact
06-20-2003, 10:59 PM
If you wanna play with horsepowers, I'd say get a RWD. Did you know that a 240 is actually a good drift car?

carotman
06-20-2003, 11:28 PM
Just go to the dragstrip next sunday. Check the FWD cars.... look how they perform... and try to find out which one is using an aftermarket transmission or axles.....

Then come back to your mechanic and slap him in the face :D

I know people that broke axles on stock engines... while others are fine with 250 hp Hondas....

od2681
06-21-2003, 06:48 AM
when he was talkin about axles..i said that well i can get a prelude tranny and stronger axles....but he said that you gotta take in consideration the axles cuzz even if they are new, they are made for a 110 hp car which is old....I kinda think he was right...I dont know what to do....well really want a 240 though
i was thinkin bout buyin the car with no motor and put in a sr20det motor...its turbocharged..hehe and its like a 1000 bucks
i dont know yet...ima try save up as much as i can this summer and then i will go from there

AccordEpicenter
06-21-2003, 10:31 AM
Honda axles are pretty tough, but the trannies are a little weak, but if you dont abuse them too much youll be fine. Big big harsh engagement clutches tend to break trannies more than making lots of power... but short of 300hp youd be fine with a mild performance clutch or soo

od2681
06-21-2003, 02:11 PM
ima try to save up as much money as possible this summer and then go from there.....im really interested in 240s but im not sellin the 3gee

adams86lxi
06-21-2003, 02:24 PM
BTW: is their any other types of axles that would fit on our car (without major modifications) that would handle more power or last longer. Or do we have to just stay with the stock axles and keep buying new ones?

dXsquared
06-21-2003, 02:40 PM
you would have to get custom axles fabbed.. i know i had a set that were super fat.. like 1.5 inches in diameter... i guess they were lude axles or somthing...now i have regular 1 inch ones...
Travis

carotman
06-21-2003, 04:33 PM
The axles on our car can handle at least 250 HP....

They were made for the B20A engine which does 160 hp

Just ask on the board who broke an axle...... Even Justin with his turbo didn't have too much trouble with broken axles...

Sean
06-21-2003, 08:27 PM
i broke a cheap aftermarket cv joint. i put a factory axle in no problems after that.

od2681
06-22-2003, 11:29 PM
like when my mounts were broken i broke axles twice....well that my fault though