PDA

View Full Version : How are 3g accords in the snow?

krott5333
06-21-2003, 02:31 AM
Well, I just got my accord a few weeks ago, maybe a month now, and I have yet to drive it in winter weather. How do these go in the snow? They don't drive like a lude, do they?

Also, what are some really cheap, but also pretty good snow tires?

Thanks

Mike89Accordcom
06-21-2003, 02:41 AM
Mine drove ok in the snow, but nothing like a 4x4. Snow tires, just get some nice big ones....

shepherd79
06-21-2003, 04:38 AM
well, if you have good snow tires with a lot of tire thread you should be able to go through any snow.
i can go farther on mycar than my roommate with her '02 civic.

2Fast_Fiero
06-21-2003, 08:36 AM
When my accord was stock, it did great in the snow, ofcource not like a 4x4, but I allways had fun playing in the snow in my Accord. After I put the 16" wheels with the 45 Series tires on it, it was CRAP! I could get stuck on an inch of snow! Thats why I have a set of 2 LXi wheels with some realy grippy Mud and Snow tires.

pimp86LX
06-21-2003, 08:55 AM
heh heh snow + p-brake= FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN.....yes i know its not real drifting, but it gives a fun illusion. mwhahahah

This past winter we got about 3-5ft of snow, the accord took it and kept on going. :D I never got stuck, had a a couple close calls, but those times were vehicle independant. ie) black ice, ass-goblin style drivers etc...

AccordEpicenter
06-21-2003, 10:21 AM
Yea the tires make a big difference. If you can, put like 50lbs in the trunk or so, it really helps keep the car from spinning. With street tires they are pretty bad in the snow, but with big snows, ive never ever gotten stuck, but they arent as good as a 4x4 (duh)

MrBen
06-21-2003, 10:24 AM
I remember a few winters ago we had a bad winter, so my buddies and I went over to this iced over parking lot in his CRX and MAN THAT WAS FUN!!! God.. the memories. One time I was in my friend's Ford F-150 doing the same thing and that was a blast. Almost tipped over too!!! :D

od2681
06-21-2003, 02:16 PM
it becomes a snowcord...
i know its corny

johndej
06-21-2003, 03:31 PM
my car handled fine in the snow and it even needed new tires

88' Accord Ltd
06-21-2003, 05:33 PM
All of my accords did well in the snow, as others said obviously not like a 4x4. But for a car it does very well. I havent been stuck or had trouble starting it up once!

carotman
06-21-2003, 06:35 PM
Many 4X4s are bad in the winter... instead of 2 tires spinning you have 4 tires spinning :D

The tires will make the difference. I had 4 Nokian Tires last time I used my Accord in the snow (that was back in 1999) It handled real nice.. Better than my Civic with the same Tires.

Don't get too wide tires if you have alot of snow wheer you live. smaller tires will "dig" in the show to reach the pavement. if you get wide tires, you'll just spin and spin on the snow...

G Man89
06-21-2003, 07:59 PM
I've only had two problems with my Accord in the snow. The first was because of a strong cross wind in a flat country area; the wind blew me right of the road. And the second was when I was going down a steep hill that was completely cover with snow; about half way down the hill it turns to the left and instead of going to the left my car just keep going straight. Luckly my car wasn't damaged either time.

Reptile
06-22-2003, 06:35 AM
They are great in the snow. I cannot think of any other car I would rather have by my side on a snowy road than the 3g Accord.

iloveJDMblackrims69
06-22-2003, 03:24 PM
yeah....mine did really good in the snow. I remeber doin donuts in the mall parking lot. :D

87accordlxph
06-22-2003, 03:56 PM
Yeah, they are good in the winter time. All front wheel drive cars (well not all of them) but the front wheel drive is what's gonna more you forward w/o fishtailen like rear wheel drive does.
As far as snow tires are concern, get some good one's w/ thick tread. I believe Goodyear or Michelins are good, sorry I don't know what name the manufacturer gives them but they are good.
If you search for snow tires or just tires in general on this site, there should be some info on awesome tires.
And as always, don't drive fast in the damn snow, PERIOD!

-Mike from Sarnia!

accordlxi2.0
06-23-2003, 12:31 PM
perelli's seem's to be a good brand also they last for awhile.
i have'nt drive mine's in the snow but in really rainy and floody situation's this car pretty good went trough a deep flood(did'nt realize till i ran into it). but i'll say you should'nt have any problem's

pimp86LX
06-27-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by iloveJDMblackrims69
yeah....mine did really good in the snow. I remeber doin donuts in the mall parking lot. :D

how do you do that with fwd?????

Hash_man_Se_i
06-27-2003, 06:30 PM
Ya, i dunno, My 3g is ok in the winter, but it seems kinda too low sometimes for the Calgarian winters. The tires that were on this last winter had treads that were starting to separate, so that didnt help much either.

If you want good winter tires, then look into the Goodyear Ice Radials (i think thats what theyre called). My dad had some on his van before he sold it, and they were amazing. They have a sort of silicone in between the treads, in the grooves, and it helps with traction a ton.!

Justin86
06-28-2003, 01:20 PM
I was able to bomb up in about 3in on snow no problem. That was before 17" rims and 2" drop.

89Accord96Lxi
06-28-2003, 08:43 PM
My 89 did fine in the snow. Like everyone said it depends on your tires. Now my 96 with 17's was a different story, I could barely get up my damn driveway.