PDA

View Full Version : 89 accord idle

89questions
06-21-2003, 07:40 PM
hello all,

i have a 1989 honda accord that will not start. i have replaced both fuel filters (carb model). i can only get the car to start when i put some starter fluid into the carb. it cranks and starts fine then. it will stay running as long as i have my foot on the gas. as soon as i release the gas, it dies. so the car has no idle. it has a dist. that is only a couple years old and just had both of the fuel fiters replaced. what are the first things to look in to?

thanks for any replys or suggestions,

1988starter
06-21-2003, 07:46 PM
I would start be checking for a vacume leak also you may want to clean your carb out with some carb cleaner spray.

ACCORD EX
06-22-2003, 12:01 AM
check if the idle mixture screw is in place !

MIKE

cruznz
06-22-2003, 01:25 AM
so how's the condition of the ignition system?

A20A1
06-22-2003, 01:49 AM
Float level?

PCV hose not connected, damaged, or leaky
Brake booster hose not connected, damaged, or leaky

New one: Brake booster diaphragm behind brake pedal leaking.

Choke stuck?

I'm leaning towards one of the medium sized vacuum hoses having a hole or just not sealing right because the end of the vacuum hose expanded and no longer creates a tight seal around the vacuum port.

89questions
06-22-2003, 07:21 PM
thanks for all the comments. i will look into some of the suggestions tomorrow and report back.

stef51
06-23-2003, 07:35 AM
I had the same problem, actually I just got it again today. Last time the carburator was cleaned and it went fine. Tonight I'm going back to clean it again but it might be more than just a dirty carburator... In any case, I'll report back my result tomorrow....

Stef

POS carb
06-23-2003, 09:55 AM
it's probably the slow mixture solenoid on the back, see if it's getting power (the 1 wire that goes to the brass cylinder on the rear, by the firewall). If not the car won't idle, just turn off, but will still run normal at all other RPMS

stef51
06-23-2003, 04:05 PM
Well, I came back from the shop. Fuel mixture screw nowhere to be found... So in the meantime I have a "rubber screw" in place; at least I don't stall anymore... :)

Of course a new screw is in order so I'll call Honda and hope it won't cost too much $$...

Stef