PDA

View Full Version : Have I got a story for you....

hondacowboy003
06-22-2003, 09:01 AM
If you've seen any of my other posts my wife was recently driving my 88 LX and the timing belt shredded on her. My first thought was it was the original timing belt, the engine was shot and I was stuck. So the wife and I went out to tinker and see if the valves were shot (as I had feared.)

Well, while taking the engine mounts off, I noticed that the bolts were decidedly bent (almost an S shape in some cases) and the engine came loose a little too easily. I got to looking and wondering if someone hadn't put another motor in my car.

Soo... I started looking... had my wife look under the drivers seat to see if she could see a computer (The current engine in my car is carburated and my interest had been peaked at the amount of vacuum lines it had). Wouldn't you know it... there was a box under the drivers seat. A little tinkering and digging later.... The computer is STILL THERE.

So, not only am i dealing with a probably shot carburated motor (that i was having troubles finding a replacement for) I'm also dealing with THE WRONG MOTOR!

First of all... Is there ANY other reason for that computer to be under that seat? Or am i correct in thinking that my car was fuel injected at one point?

Secondly... Where's the wiring harness? Is it possible it has been completely removed? Or just hiding from me?

I want to get this car up and running ASAP or at least find out what the hell is going on with it.

Thank you for your time

Coitis1
06-22-2003, 11:40 AM
Does the car actually say LX on it or LX-i? Does it look like the "i" was scraped off? Check the vin # on carfax to see if its been in any wrecks.

hondacowboy003
06-22-2003, 11:50 AM
There is no sign the LX has been tampered with. It's definately an LX.

When I first purchased the car I was told that it had a run in with a mule deer in it's past. The core support was basically hammered back into shape and the front end was replaced (not very well I might add).

I've had to replace at least one of the tie-rods due to the accident. I cannot see any evidence of repair that has been done to the frame rail.

Do you know of any "free" way to get a carfax report?

Coitis1
06-22-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by hondacowboy003

Do you know of any "free" way to get a carfax report?

Well, periodically someone on this board will have a carfax account open, so just ask around. Post in the general section or wherever, that ur looking for a carfax report. I did the same thing.

2old_honda
06-22-2003, 02:41 PM
just go to carfax.com and type in your vin. it will tell you the make and model of the car, but it wont give you the full history unless you pay.

2old_honda
06-22-2003, 02:43 PM
also, the LX (carb) models do have a computer under the drivers seat. It controls the big vac box in the engine bay.

carotman
06-22-2003, 04:39 PM
Yeah it's normal to have a computer under the seat in any 86-89 accord.

Check the engine # and go to the dealer, they will be able to tell you where it came from.

hondacowboy003
06-22-2003, 08:43 PM
(Shows intelligence) Where is the engine number located?

I have double loyalties (Chevys rule :P) and while I could fix one of them in my sleep I know absolutely Jack about Hondas.

dXsquared
06-22-2003, 08:49 PM
whats the VIN.. ill run a carfax right now

Travis

pimp86LX
06-22-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by hondacowboy003
(Shows intelligence) Where is the engine number located?

I have double loyalties (Chevys rule :P) and while I could fix one of them in my sleep I know absolutely Jack about Hondas.

Buick Power baby!!!! :super:

hondacowboy003
06-22-2003, 10:40 PM
:I have double loyalties (Chevys rule :P) and while I could fix one of them in my sleep I know absolutely Jack about Hondas. :

Lemme clarify that alittle bit, I meant to say GM's rule but my personal fav is Chevy. Had two pickups and an Olds before them and now I have my little Honda. :super:

thirdgenonly
06-25-2003, 09:44 AM
poncho, chryslers are the best honda s are great too but not the same as my firebird or my cornet, i belive that there were som computer c

thirdgenonly
06-25-2003, 09:44 AM
poncho, chryslers are the best honda s are great too but not the same as my firebird or my cornet, i belive that there were som computer controlled carbs too or was it the choke that comp controlled, but i'm not really sure

cdscowboy
06-26-2003, 10:35 AM
The engine model number is basically under your spark plug closest to the passenger side...about 6 inches down or so. It's a flat surface, and it may be covered with grime, so wipe around...you'll find it. I think you should have an A20A1...I'm pretty sure of that.

If you're trying to find your VIN, it's mounted in the engine bay on the firewall, or on your dash (you can see it through the windshield)

Good luck! :)

hondacowboy003
07-19-2003, 11:48 PM
Wow I havent read this post in like forever :). Anyways I looked where you said to look cds and sure enough its an A20A1 motor. Still havent been able to get it up and running yet (to lazy) and Im currently trying to get an 87 Chevy pickup to take up the slack of only having one car. Either tomorrow or Monday Im gonna push it back into the back garage and pull it apart. Ill keep you all posted

hondacowboy003
07-24-2003, 06:57 PM
Well its been two months now since the timing belt snapped in my Accord, been spending that time recuperating from having gall bladder surgery and looking for another mood of transport while my car is being worked on (as well as taking it easy since the docs found I have a hernia).

Anyways Wednesday morning me and my wife, pushed the car into the garage and I began disassembling the motor, fully intending to rebuild the motor and do the PGM-FI swap. After two days of work, I have found that the driver's side enginemount was snapped off (snapped as in the top bolt boss has been completely removed ).

I started this project with the sole intentionof rebuilding the A20A1 motor and converting to the PGM-FI. Now that I found this out, I may just swap it out for an A20A3. Now some of you will say "Just get a B20A" well unfortunately I do not have that kind of cash, and with the availability being as it is, it would take longer for my baby to get back on the road.

I should have some pics soon of the car in it's current state (It aint pretty!) and I will keep you updated. Thanks :)

p.s. Carotman please contact me as I have several questions for you about the FI swap.

Blue Impact
07-30-2003, 01:31 AM
If it's a story, it's probably made up - therefore, this story is BS. :D

Just kidding, man. Well, if the car is a 4 door and doesn't have a sunroof, but has power windows, then it is definitely an LX.

Whatever you do, good luck.