PDA

View Full Version : Should I go with nos

Jtwizza
06-22-2003, 12:18 PM
Will I blow my engine if I go with nos

dXsquared
06-22-2003, 12:25 PM
no you wont.. the best kit for a beginer is the ZEX dry kit.. run a 55 shot and you should be ok

but if you have over 150 000 miles on your motor.. i wouldnt use it for long periods

Travis

guaynabo89
06-22-2003, 12:26 PM
Got oldschoolswap's site. He's got some good info on there.

http://vtecnos.tripod.com/

Osiris
06-24-2003, 07:59 AM
NOS is actually safe if you used correctly. Obviously you seen the F and the F and thats where you got that from. If your engine is tuned correctly and everything is in order the amount of NOS recommended for our cars most likely wont "blow the welds of your intake" :lol. (sorry, had to throw that in for kicks). If you read the requirements for NOS applications and you meet them you will be within safe driving parameters for your engine.

Heres a page with some FAQs on NOS. Scroll down to see them.
http://www.importcarpartsplus.com/zex.htm

Justin86
06-24-2003, 09:30 AM
Yea it can be safe as lot as you don't use to big of a shot or get a happy triger finger and go through a bottle a day.

2twisty
06-24-2003, 10:12 AM
Why run a dry kit?

Where are you going to get the fuel to go with all that O2 you just added?

If you don't add fuel by rejetting your carb or by using a wet kit, you're asking for a lean condition, which could wind up with holes in your pistons.

WET kits are safe. The ONLY time I'd use a dry kit is when I can increase the injector duty cycle or increase the fuel pressure to the injectors to compensate for the extra o2.

DRY kits may be cheaper, but wet=safe.

Chad

dXsquared
06-24-2003, 11:03 AM
when you get a NOS kit, you usually have an adjustable FPR... that will add alot more fuel when you spray...

Travis

2twisty
06-24-2003, 11:12 AM
Now that makes sense, although I'd be hard pressed to call it a true "dry" kit since the kit makes provisions to add fuel - they just don't do it with another fogger.

If the kit you're looking at REALLY does have an AFPR with it, then yeah, that's cool, however, make sure you get the fuel pressures adjusted properly BEFORE you spray.....

Chad

pimp86LX
06-24-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by 2twisty
make sure you get the fuel pressures adjusted properly BEFORE you spray.....

:werd:

bobafett
06-24-2003, 11:51 AM
i need two bottles - the big ones. and harry, i need them by tonight.

dXsquared
06-24-2003, 12:00 PM
in the last movie, they make it seem like you get one shot from the bottle.. like in the race scene VS the domestics.. he is like ... save the spray for the way back... i guess they would have won if they sprayed each way, so it wouldnt have been so exciting.. no need for the crash

Travis

hondamanlxi
06-24-2003, 02:08 PM
so, whats the best bet for us CARB guys? Do they make a plate to fit under our carb or what? This is one of few import subjects i know nothing about! I know the differance b/t wet and dry and i understand the 50 shot.....but after that im lost! HOw difficult is it to hook up properly?

Osiris
06-25-2003, 03:41 PM
Hondaman: I searched and searched for about an hour looking for a fogger plate for our car. Didnt find one. I would guess you could call Zex or Nos and ask them for your specific application. I know theres a few ppl on the board with NOS. Plus NOS or better known as Nitro before the fast and furious days was and is still mainly for carbs. So im sure you could probaly find the fogger or make a fogger plate for our cars.

More Info - http://www.redrumcustoms.com/nos.htm

Fogger Plate System - http://store.summitracing.com/product.asp?p=4604&searchtype=ecat Product ID - NOS-05030

http://www.moreperformanceinc.com/images/ZEXNOX.gif

NXRacer
06-26-2003, 03:29 PM
FUCK Zex. Ghey azz purple bottle. Might as well claim to blow your motor within the first week. Did you notice that even FnF didnt have zex in the movie? (not that that really means anything). Spend the extra $100 and get yourself a good NX system and you're good to go.

I would say don't even think about putting 50 shot of zex in your car w/out some mods. NOT a good idea esp if you hit the rev limiter when you're hitting the juice. On a 3g with well used motor could handle a 55 shot off an NX system and a new/rebuilt one could probably handle 75 with light usage. And you can even hit the rev limiter w/out worrying too much.

I can get an import kit from Nitrous Express for around $500.

Justin86
06-26-2003, 04:49 PM
Yea NX would be the brand to go with. From what I have heard you can't go wrong with NX. I don't have nitrous but if I get some I would get NX. Also get it through OldSchoolSwap (Racing Impulse) and save some $$$.

NXRacer
06-27-2003, 07:16 AM
How much does Racing Impulse want for the import kit??

Justin86
06-27-2003, 12:30 PM
HJere is the link. $500 for NX
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16722

krott5333
06-27-2003, 01:30 PM
no you shouldnt get NNNAWWZZ you fuckin faggot.

pric
06-27-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by NXRacer
FUCK Zex. Ghey azz purple bottle. Might as well claim to blow your motor within the first week. Did you notice that even FnF didnt have zex in the movie? (not that that really means anything). Spend the extra $100 and get yourself a good NX system and you're good to go.

I would say don't even think about putting 50 shot of zex in your car w/out some mods. NOT a good idea esp if you hit the rev limiter when you're hitting the juice. On a 3g with well used motor could handle a 55 shot off an NX system and a new/rebuilt one could probably handle 75 with light usage. And you can even hit the rev limiter w/out worrying too much.

I can get an import kit from Nitrous Express for around $500.

Hmmm......Intresting dhcarss has a ZEX kit with a 65 pill and has run through at least 4 bottle refills and the car is running better than it ever has.

Oh and he got his off the net for less than $400

Justin86
06-27-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by krott5333
no you shouldnt get NNNAWWZZ you fuckin faggot.
Well that sounds more like you have some issues. Why shouldn't get NOS. Are you just pissed cause he can afford it and you can't.

blazin3gen
06-27-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Justin86
Well that sounds more like you have some issues. Why shouldn't get NOS. Are you just pissed cause he can afford it and you can't.

:lol i think your right! Kroch i mean Krott your opinon was fckn worthless

NXRacer
06-27-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by pric
Hmmm......Intresting dhcarss has a ZEX kit with a 65 pill and has run through at least 4 bottle refills and the car is running better than it ever has.

Oh and he got his off the net for less than $400

That may very well be true. I know people who use it and havent had a problem yet. But that one time when you're shooting and you accidently(or not) hit the rev limiter, fuel shuts off, and BOOM there goes your motor. I've personally seen it happen with ZEX. NX virutally eliminates that problem by shooting gas along with the nitrous.

Also, with ZEX you have to install that dumb box thingy with is a pain in the ass. With NX, all you have to do is mount the throttle switch, on/off switch, 2 solenoids, bottle and run lines.

NX is better, but thats my opinion. I just wouldn't suggest it to somebody who was thinking of investing in a N2O kit.

OldSchoolSwap
06-30-2003, 10:20 AM
Ok guys, after reading most of your questions i think its a good idea to clear things up a bit.

First of all, Zex works "dry" if not mistaken, wich translates into raising fuel pressures through your stock injectors, thus pushing their old used up "ragged out" ass to their limits pretty much. Unless you have new injectors :rolleyes:
Theirfore, if your injectors are clogged or dirty and or do not have the proper spray pattern, guess what....... your engine is on the line!
Some racers send out their injectors for cleaning, before using their nitrous systems. Some others just purchase new injectors and go on with life.
I myself had a N.O.S. dry kit and also purchased a set of RC injectors and upped the CC's a few for better fuel flow.

I am now turning away from the dry system to the more reliable and accurate wet "dirrect port" system. This system is a wet system that runs right above each chamber with one nozzle per chamber. This kit will introduce Fuel and Nitrous into each combustion chamber for accurate flows of nitrous and fuel. This is the best setup you can actually have for a nitrous system, in terms of accuracy and dependability.
Some people steer away from this kit due to its complex install proceedure and the price tag of the system.

Most popular kits now being used is the NX wet kit "single nozzle". It uses one nozzle right before the throttle and injects the fuel and nitrous mixture together, almost a replica of the "dirrect port" system but using only 1 nozzle instead of 4.
This kit also ensures a good amount of fuel and nitrous delivery through its nozzle.
The only downside to this "single" nozzle wet kit compared to the "dirrect port" kit, is the tunabilty of the kit, meaning the "shots/horse power range". The dirrect port can spray alot more nitrous than the single nozzle kit.
If your not planning on going higher than an 80 shot, the single nozzle kit is perfect for your application. Beyond the 80 shot mark it is considered "unsafe" due to fuel and nitrous flow restrictions for that kit.

Most 3 geez will do with the single nozzle kit and will kick some serious ass with as little as 50 shot.
However, if you will be building the motor's internals with heavy duty stuff, then the dirrect port will allow you to spray safely beyond your dreams ;)

If one of your questions is "what brand should i get":
In my experience, NX is on the top of my list for quality and craftsmanship. Their product is far more advanced than NOS as far as quality is concerned.

If you guys need any pricing on any kit, please contact me.

OldSchoolSwap
06-30-2003, 10:31 AM
Also, when racing with nitrous, you DO NOT want to take your motor to redline, Honda has a fuel cut off design and will be dangerous when spraying nitrous.
You should either get a shift light and shift before the redline is reached, or get a window switch to deactivate the nitrous flow before redline. You can also get an ingnition limitor such as the MSD 6AL and activate it right before redline, it will not prevent nitrous flow but it is better to lose spark than fuel when nitrous is present. Either way, the first two options (specially the window switch) is my strongest advice i can give you for safe nitrous usage.

NXRacer
06-30-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by OldSchoolSwap
Also, when racing with nitrous, you DO NOT want to take your motor to redline, Honda has a fuel cut off design and will be dangerous when spraying nitrous.

That is precisely the reason why I suggest getting a wet kit like NX so that it'll limit the chance of somebody leaning the motor out when the fuel cutoff hits on redline. Bigger injectors and FPR dont help when the fuel cutoff switches on!

I agree that a DP system would deffinately be a better way to go, but most people dont have the $$$ to put into the shop time it requires to install.

Justin86
06-30-2003, 11:47 AM
By the way how much would it cost to upgrade to a direct port system.

NXRacer
06-30-2003, 12:01 PM
I can get you a full Nitrous Express DP system for around $700 (not including install).

OldSchoolSwap
06-30-2003, 12:11 PM
By the way how much would it cost to upgrade to a direct port system.
When you say "upgrade" do you have a dry system or a wet system allready?

If not the NX dirrect port system complete runs from around $650 to $750.
Contact me on IM..... OldSchoolSwap and we'll talk.

Justin86
06-30-2003, 02:27 PM
So it is only $200 more to get a direct port. I don't have NOS yet but when I save up the money I will get a NX wet kit.

OldSchoolSwap
06-30-2003, 08:50 PM
So it is only $200 more to get a direct port. I don't have NOS yet but when I save up the money I will get a NX wet kit.
No prob, be sure to contact me. I'll guide you and get you the best pricing. :)

bobafett
06-30-2003, 10:02 PM
juan i know this has been asked a milliion times. but since youre reading and replying to the thread:

you have convinced me that if i go with n20, i will go with a wet kit. now here is the next question. assuming i am running a wet kit. and very low jetting. like 25-50 hp, would direct port injection be better. or would i be 100% fine with a regular wet kit?

also, can a direct port kit run as little as 30 hp? or does it have a higher minimum ammount, like 60hp

also, to your knowlede what is the smallest shot available? i wouldnt mind getting n20 now with my old tired engine, but i am not gonna run anything higher than 40hp until i get a rebuilt one. :)

sorry to ask questions that could prolly be "searched" but i have read most of those. and couldnt come up with a conclusion. :)

NXRacer
07-01-2003, 07:24 AM
NX comes with shot arrangements from 35 - 75hp with their import EFI kit. DPI systems are available from 50 - 200hp.

Unless you plan on doing extensive motor work and running high horsepower a single jet system will work just fine for you. The cost of fitting a DPI system isnt really worth it unless you either plan on doing the work yourself or you plan on building a high power motor in the future.

pip
07-01-2003, 07:52 AM
should u get nos for ur accord.... no.
why because its an ancient A20 engine (goody but old) but i don't see the point its an old accord, why waste ur money with that money u could get a new platform to work with like a nice fancy "B" series engine where u can tune the ECU and get it as fast as ur accord with nos, i don't see the point in getting nos for these accords because these cars arn't super fast street racing cars meant to be driven to 8K i recall my carb hatchback being designed to take some guy to and from his cubical everyday i think what we have done with these cars is phenominal but don't waste ur time or money on nitrous oxide man, besides other than the track where in hell r u gonna use it? rush hour traffic? i think our cars can be good enough n/a'd but thats my opinion u want to get that serious i say get a new car or a new engine

pric
07-01-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by pip
should u get nos for ur accord.... no.
why because its an ancient A20 engine (goody but old) but i don't see the point its an old accord, why waste ur money with that money u could get a new platform to work with like a nice fancy "B" series engine where u can tune the ECU and get it as fast as ur accord with nos, i don't see the point in getting nos for these accords because these cars arn't super fast street racing cars meant to be driven to 8K i recall my carb hatchback being designed to take some guy to and from his cubical everyday i think what we have done with these cars is phenominal but don't waste ur time or money on nitrous oxide man, besides other than the track where in hell r u gonna use it? rush hour traffic? i think our cars can be good enough n/a'd but thats my opinion u want to get that serious i say get a new car or a new engine

Well the amount of money you spend on N2O want get you even close to a B-series maybe the mounts for one but thats it. One great thing about N2O setup is if you change cars you can take it with you to the next car unlike if you do a motor swap that motor is staying with the car or unlike a Turbo and or Supercharger that is going to stay with that motor. Unless you get the exact same car or you spend a lot of money to make it fit your next car.

bobafett
07-01-2003, 11:01 AM
thx nx racer. right now i would just go with a smaller shot, 35hp sounds nice on my engine.... :) so i guess SPI would be fine!

i have plans to build a motor with help from my (soon to be) stepfather. he's a machinist, and in a couple months him and my mom are gonna buy a house together, at which time he will have a BADASS shop, and he already has mad connections, since he used to build engines in his younger days.. lol. anyway he has promised to help me build a "built" motor that i have wanted for a turbo setup. even after a well built motor i am only planning on running like 15psi (as long as it is really safe) and maybe a 65 shot of n20. but i am gonna have a relatively small turbo, not a massive t4 or anything... so i am not gonna need a 200 shot to get spooled up! :)

thx for your help, it seems like a basic wet kit is just what i need right now. :)

NXRacer
07-01-2003, 11:32 AM
Dude, if he's a machinist, you might just wanna get DPI just for the coolness factor! But a SPI system should work plenty well for your needs.

Justin86
07-01-2003, 12:04 PM
Couldn't you buy a SPI system then later upgrade it to the DPI, or do you have to buy the entire DPI kit.

NXRacer
07-01-2003, 01:57 PM
I dont know off the top of my head if they have an upgrade kit or not. I'll have to check my reseller catalog.

OldSchoolSwap - do you know if they do or not?

Justin86
07-01-2003, 06:06 PM
That would be nice if I can buy a SPI now and then later when (if) I have a built up motor I could just upgrade to DPI.

OldSchoolSwap
07-01-2003, 09:41 PM
yes, they do sell the upgrade kit alone wich won't include the bottle and main parts that you will allready have with the SPI kit.

Justin86
07-02-2003, 10:37 AM
Cool :)

OldSchoolSwap
07-02-2003, 11:12 AM
Ain't nitrous fun? :D

NXRacer
07-02-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by OldSchoolSwap
Ain't nitrous fun? :D

hah hah reminds me of something

i was talking one time with my friend about nitrous and my mom freaked out and thought we were using it to get high! Shes like "i know people who have died doing that stuff!!!" I told her it was for the car and NOT for our head.......... :lol

bobafett
07-02-2003, 12:39 PM
hahaha lol... thats cool~

OldSchoolSwap
07-02-2003, 01:08 PM
:lol :lol

My friend actually inhaled it a few times but could not handle the coughing....lol. Our nitrous is not the clinical grade nitrous, so therefore it is not ment to be inhaled by humans, only motors....

Justin86
07-02-2003, 02:39 PM
I have heard people that were talking about that before. I laugh so hard. They were like well it has Nitrious in it and the luaghing gas at the doctors is the same. I'm just like yea what ever you say dude. :bh:

3G Jester
07-02-2003, 11:58 PM
i dunno if its been said...casue im too lazy to read through all the posts....but nos is actualy very safe inside of our engines espicialy cause the a20 is cast iron baby :D strong as fuk. thats rite kids...fuk.

krott5333
07-03-2003, 12:41 AM
Medical grade nitrous and automative grade nitrous are identical, except for the fact the auto grade has sulfur added to it, which gives it a distinct odor, meant to deter stupid kids from inhaling it.. doesnt hurt the performance aspect at all though!

pric
07-03-2003, 05:12 AM
Hey OSS,
I was wandering if I ran a separate fuel system for the wet kit how much fuel pressure is required to run it?

NXRacer
07-03-2003, 07:13 AM
I dont think you need a separate fuel system. The NX kits just tap into the existing fuel system. If you're really worried, just upgrade your fuel pump and get a FPR and you'll do just fine. No need to spend all that money and time on a new fuel system.

Justin86
07-03-2003, 10:36 AM
Oh so it is the sulfur. I was thinking that there was something else added to it that mad it bed to inhale, but even the sulfur should be enough to stop it.

NXRacer
07-03-2003, 10:45 AM
Some nitrous does have sulfur and some doesnt. I remember my friend whos got N2O on his car saying that he found a place that doesnt put sulfur in their nitrous cause it performs better w/out it. Maybe they're filling their bottles with medical nos???

Justin86
07-03-2003, 11:03 AM
I was talking to a friend of my brothers and he was going off about that you have to have a permit to carry NOS and that it is not street legal or something like that. I don't know if this is just Oregon or if he is a bitch.

MattsAccord
07-03-2003, 11:30 AM
I'm pretty sure you can have NOS in your car you just can't have it hooked up and ready to use. I think.

Justin86
07-03-2003, 03:17 PM
Well why would I have it in my car if I couldn't use it.

NXRacer
07-03-2003, 03:36 PM
thats a bunch of crap. I've NEVER heard of a law like that. And i sell the stuff so i should know.......

OldSchoolSwap
07-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by NXRacer
I dont think you need a separate fuel system. The NX kits just tap into the existing fuel system. If you're really worried, just upgrade your fuel pump and get a FPR and you'll do just fine. No need to spend all that money and time on a new fuel system.
I second that....

OldSchoolSwap
07-03-2003, 04:47 PM
Some states do have laws about having nitrous. The only law about it is, that your line going to the bottle must be disconected for street driving.

But then again, they have never stopped me and checked my trunk for nitrous. Most cops don't even know, but some are a bit educated...! hehe...

Justin86
07-03-2003, 05:32 PM
Just got to lie low around the cops, but the ones over here are too stupid to know about NOS.

OldSchoolSwap
07-03-2003, 06:35 PM
Miami and Cali are two places where Cops are a bit more educated than the rest of the world... lol

Justin86
07-03-2003, 06:42 PM
Damn around Grants Pass you say race and they think about from block to block. Everyone around here is too damn gay to actually race like a 1mile or something. I try to gets some bets going and people are like oh my car isn't that fast or I don't want ot drive out to Demaray(1.25 miles stretch). Pussies

Techno
07-06-2003, 08:08 AM
Justin,

Know what you mean...I go back every once in a while to visit my parents, but I always get pissed off by the slowww ass drivers there. The cops are pretty stupid there too. I have a friend that is a sheriff there and he has not even heard of NOS. :stupid:

Tell me, when was the last time that you seen a 'Ricer' in Grants Pass that had Oregon plates on it? Everyone there is into trucks and old ass muscle cars. If you go into a store and ask for performance parts for an inport...they look at you like you are sick in you head. Far as I can remember... there is only one speed shop there in town kinda close to 'D' street I think.

Recap....Grants Pass is :gay: and too full of old people that move up from California. :stick:
\

Techno

Justin86
07-06-2003, 08:52 AM
Well I guess I'm going to corrupt Grants Pass with my Sleepy 3g in times to come.:D
Hey we are having a meet here on Sept 6 you should check it out. http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19948

Mattphi
07-08-2003, 03:19 PM
Yea just dont get too trigger happy and u should be fine

crwa
07-15-2003, 07:29 PM
So, if I ran a 55 shot on my car and I have 183,000 miles, and an intake, header and exhaust system, should I be worried about blowing anything???

NXRacer
07-16-2003, 08:00 AM
If its a wet kit, you'll have less of a chance of hurting your car. I wouldnt run that high of a shot on your car unless you plan on rebuilding it in the near future. N2O is addicting and you'll be squeezing it all the time. If your car has been taken car of and runs good you shouldnt have too much of a problem. But you more then likely will after you start squeezing...... :lol

I'd suggest running like a 35 shot until you rebuild your motor.

Justin86
07-18-2003, 12:17 PM
Well I'm got new pistons and rings. Everything else is in great shape. It has 130K on it and the first 120K was put on by the old couple I got it from. I was thinking about running a 60 shot and can be safe. Also I still have the origional clutch in it but I'm going to get a better one somethime soon.

NXRacer
07-18-2003, 01:10 PM
i'm looking into getting a custom cam grind and checking to see whether that will help or hurt with N2O. Let me know when you wanna order a kit. I'll hook ya up! :D

Did you get OEM pistons or custom ones?

Justin86
07-19-2003, 09:58 AM
OEM $96. Custom would be a little spindy for me right now. Maybe later down the road we I want to do some serious work.

crwa
07-19-2003, 10:48 AM
How much can you get a kit for NXracer??? Under $500???

NXRacer
07-21-2003, 07:07 AM
I can get a kit for around 500, but thats not including installation.

Justin86
07-21-2003, 07:44 PM
Well how tough is it to install. I like to save money for when I really need it. TURBO :)

NXRacer
07-22-2003, 07:31 AM
Its time consuming, but not hard.

Justin86
07-22-2003, 09:37 AM
Well the EFI swap is time consuming. I have all the time in the world.

3rd gen 89 se-i
08-06-2003, 01:30 PM
how much power will a SPI (wet) from NX give me?

NXRacer
08-06-2003, 01:37 PM
you can use jets that will give you anywhere from 35-75 hp. I'd really suggest not using the biggest jet if your car has a lot of miles on it (over 75-100K) or if its been driven hard. A 35 (maybe) 50 shot would do you good though.

All the jets are included with a kit.

Justin86
08-07-2003, 06:11 PM
NAWZ.
It is good for the engine. Yoou know you need to get everything loosened up and running smooth. Damn I love forestales, E-1044, hit that shit up. :D