PDA

View Full Version : Shaved my trunk

kicker1_solo
06-22-2003, 01:41 PM
Well my trunk needed painted since someone once sprayed it with spray paint. So I went in to paint it and was thinking that maybe I'll shave it while I'm at it. So here's a few pics of what my cousin and I did.
Bring my car into the shop and remove the trunk
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid66/pe4feff95e3356a7b7969b1f51ce782cf/fbdd614e.jpg
remove plastic piece and trace it onto sheetmetal
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid66/p69415a08b683832654f7d986fc49918f/fbdd6147.jpg
tack weld it all the way around, making sure it's flush
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid66/p72a25810bea4f78340b4be056d46902a/fbdd6145.jpg
Then weld it all the way around making sure not to get it hot enough so that it warps, then bondo, then smoothing, then paint. We didn't have any fiberglass with us, that's why we welded it.
My trunk was in an accident a couple years ago and was twisted bad, now that we have a flat piece of metal in there it looks even more twisted. So I'm still looking for a trunk lid if anyone has one and when I get that one I'll shave that one using fiberglass. But anyways, we didn't have time to finish it cause I leave for work for the week this evening so we're going to smooth it out better and paint it in the paint booth next weekend. For now I just put on a couple coats of spray paint so it doesn't rust.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid66/p225a4f60a596fd6793fcecbc88981b0e/fbdd644f.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid66/p398fc04a4e0f5da6ee76d5844c1716ce/fbdd644a.jpg
and if you say it looks shitty, I'll agree with you, cause it's not done lol

blazin3gen
06-22-2003, 02:03 PM
not my style but i give u props Kicker its gonna look sweet when its done

crwa
06-22-2003, 02:13 PM
So what are you doing for reverse lights??? I like the idea but it looks odd with the license plate on the bumper, I would have just shaved the lights and left the license plate hole... now just paint the amber on the lights red...

kicker1_solo
06-22-2003, 02:22 PM
I don't need reverse lights, and if I really do end up needing them I'll think of something. As for the license plate, I'm going to get aftermarket front and back bumpers and then make an indented spot in the back bumper for it.

Sabz5150
06-22-2003, 03:01 PM
Not my style either, and the only way I can describe why is that the tail lights stop 'abruptly'. Like they were cut (well, they were). Maybe swapping in another car's tails that end before the trunk may take care of that problem. Also, DEFINITELY keep the plate on the trunk unless you swap a Vigor bumper.

kicker1_solo
06-22-2003, 03:12 PM
Maybe I'll put in some IS300 round lights on the trunk. :)

Coitis1
06-22-2003, 03:23 PM
i like it, but the license plate does look odd having it off centered on the bumper. What are u going to do about reverse lights?

pimp_n87LXi
06-22-2003, 04:23 PM
I think that shit looks hott!!! I love it, thats what I want to do but I gotta me another accord now becuz mine got stolen on the 19th...

iloveJDMblackrims69
06-22-2003, 05:11 PM
SWEET man.........looks awesome........damn.....your really hookin that car up! It dont look shitty at all.......it will look complete thought when u get that paint!

iloveJDMblackrims69
06-22-2003, 05:12 PM
oh forgot to ask........you have any plans with the civic??? Looks stock :(...........I love that color though.......post some pics of the beast sometime!

meohmy01
06-22-2003, 06:25 PM
i know what you're talking about with the taillights stopping "abruptly" but my car came like that stok and i think it looks way better than the 96 97. i think it would look sweet if you molded in an offcentered license plate thing in the lid.

original2k
06-22-2003, 06:53 PM
man what are u guys talkin about??? that is facking awesome! mad props from me man! yeah relocating the license plate is a must, but of course u know that so i'm not gonna stress it, but good job man! i wanna do that with my car now too! it's just so unique

88Ex-i
06-22-2003, 07:17 PM
is it legal to have no reverse lights??????

looks good btw.

3G Jester
06-22-2003, 07:48 PM
your a good kid. but you need to lay off the crack.

:lol
haha looks good man. cherry bomb those fuckers [spray your tails all red.]
personaly i think it would look hell better if you made the lights 2 circles....one half tail, the other turn. it would look awsom

BITESIZE
06-22-2003, 07:50 PM
Nice! Shaved is the way to be. Don't like the license plate though. But there really isn't anywhere else to put it. Keep up the good work!

Hash_man_Se_i
06-22-2003, 10:38 PM
I think it looks really cool, I like how its so original and really clean looking too! props man. And i think it would look cool if u sunk the liscence plate into the bumper, or sunk it off center into the trunk.

3rd GEN
06-23-2003, 09:39 AM
nice.. but now it looks like a corolla from the back..haha

buzzbomber88lx
06-23-2003, 10:04 AM
heh i never noticed that 3rd gen it does look like a corolla from the rear! Looks great. I'd say go clear or red for your tails and put some lenses(round like is 300) into your trunk lid. it will look good when you have it all complete. props!

Justin86
06-23-2003, 10:53 AM
I think it looks pretty nice just do something with the tail lights to finish it off.

meohmy01
06-23-2003, 02:36 PM
i think it would look sweet with a rectangular reverse light the same hight as the tail lights, mounted on the trunklid directly next to the taillight

89accord_lxi_coupe
06-23-2003, 03:51 PM
i had an idea on the license plate. i was watching TRUCKS and they did an entire episode on how to do metal fabbing, for shaving handles and such. they got this piece that looked like a pan, with holes in the bottom. they lined up where they wanted it on the tailgate and traced it. they cut out that piece and put in the "pan". this was a license plate holder, for it to look sunk in. they traced around where the holder and tailgate met, and cut off excess(SC). dropped the holder back in the hole and made sure it was flush with tailgate sheetmetal, and tack welded it down. you know the rest of the steps in metal fabbing from here. just wanted to throw out that idea to you. center of the trunk lid, have your sunk in license plate. it's a thought.

buzzbomber88lx
06-23-2003, 07:33 PM
hmmmmm.......sounds like an idea nolan

kicker1_solo
06-24-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by iloveJDMblackrims69
oh forgot to ask........you have any plans with the civic??? Looks stock :(...........I love that color though.......post some pics of the beast sometime! The civic is stock.....on the exterior ;)
that's all I'll say :)

And I'm really surprised that I got such good comments on the trunk. It really does look bad right now, you can see bondo spots and crap. It'll all be fixed once I find a straight trunk though.

About the reverse lights, I'm still looking. I'm hoping to find some nice round ones or something that would be fairly easy to do. I guess whatever I find first that looks decent for a good price.

And about the license plate. I'm either going to indent it into a new bumper if I get one before I get a new trunk. If I get a new trunk first then I'm going to indent it into the trunk. Either somewhere in the middle, straight or crooked, haven't decided yet.

Thanx for all the comments, and remember, find me a trunk and I'll bring you more pics. :D
When I first got this car I wasn't gonna mod it too much, but with everything I did I got really good comments from you guys, so I like modding it now cause of you guys. lol

Hash_man_Se_i
06-24-2003, 11:31 PM
Ya kicker, it looks really good IMO, i really like the look of your car now!

And 89accord_lxi_coupe, that's excactly what i was thinking of, I saw that episode and it would look awesome.

.:1987 LX:.
06-25-2003, 02:14 AM
looks cool but it seems like it needs somethihng other than a paint job. nice work though mang! :D

thirdgenonly
06-26-2003, 07:36 AM
Dont flame me.. jus a thought
you guys should try shaveing all the lights and puting in thirdgen firebird ones they would fit perfectly

adams86lxi
06-26-2003, 11:31 AM
it should look ok once you have it painted!:)

89accord_lxi_coupe
06-27-2003, 09:03 AM
that was a good episode wasn't it hash. i can't wait for project crazy horse to be done. that will be sweet. i was hopin to get kickers thoughts on the idea i threw out. you said you would probably indent the plate. I really think the sunk in look would cool.

Nothingbuta3Gthang
07-02-2003, 10:22 AM
I dont think you'd have a problem driving around without reverse lights as far as the law goes, but I dont think you can pass inspection without them.

Hash_man_Se_i
07-02-2003, 10:27 AM
that was a good episode wasn't it hash. i can't wait for project crazy horse to be done. that will be sweet. i was hopin to get kickers thoughts on the idea i threw out. you said you would probably indent the plate. I really think the sunk in look would cool.

Ya man, thats pretty much what I was thinking, I just wasn't quite sure how to word it. I think it would just look awesome if kicker did it like that... And that project crazy horse is nuts, although I am not a fan of the paint job on it i still can't wait to see the finished project.

NXRacer
07-02-2003, 10:27 AM
The problem with sinking the license plate in the trunk is that EVERY lowrider does that now.

*edit* not to say you have a lowrider, thats just what they do

My buddy is thinking of making something where the plate will motor out of the bumper somehow. He's got a protoge that he's building for show thats gonna look hella badass. He's trying to think of something to do with the plate thats different. When i went to a lowrider show this last weekend, everybody had a 'frenched' license plate it seemed like.

markmdz89hatch
07-02-2003, 10:43 AM
just throw the damn thing in the back window. That way you can't get your reg. sticker stolen, you don't have to worry about where to put it, you'll never lose it, and you'll have that super clean look. If you have tinited windows like to do though, you're screwed.

I do like the motor-out idea, but that'd be a bitch to fab.