PDA

View Full Version : Rattling exhaust....

Oz87Si
06-22-2003, 05:59 PM
When I start the car and its idling, the exhaust rattles and its really annoying. When you pump the gas a little and hold it, the rattle stops, but then comes back a little bit later.

I had a look at the fittings when it was on, and they werent hitting eachother or anything....so I'm thinking it could be something in the muffler.

Another question too...I'm thinking of buying a sports muffler. But if I do, I'll keep my other one so I can sell the car eventually as stock as possible. If anyone knows, could they tell me how much in American dollars it costs for straight installation of a muffler.

Cheers lads.

dXsquared
06-22-2003, 06:13 PM
just install? like 10 bucks

Travis

shepherd79
06-23-2003, 03:15 AM
i paid $30 to get my muffler welded.
the rattle you hear can be your catalitic convertor shield. just bend it out a little or remove.

adams86lxi
06-23-2003, 01:19 PM
I think it is the muffler, mine did the same thing but it was a stock muffler and was getting kind of old, so i just replaced it with a dynomax super turbo:D no more rattle!!!:D

Justin86
06-23-2003, 03:22 PM
Get under your car and check for rust or loose parts.

bigpoppa88
06-24-2003, 05:05 PM
On the back section of my exhaust, past the resonator at the first "s" curve the pipe has an inner core which was rattling, I heated the pipe up with a torch , hit it with a hammer to dent it to eliminate the rattle....worked for me...

speedr409
07-03-2003, 08:21 AM
If it's not any of the thin metal covers, then check this out:
Get under the car, and go down the exhaust pipe, hitting it with the heel of your hand, to see if you can find the rattle. If you can find about where it is (usually on a curve if its inside the pipe) then take a small (like 7/64 or 3/32) drill bit and drill a hole through the pipe. If it gets through the first layer and hits another layer, keep going through the 2nd layer. Then take a screw slightly bigger than the hole and screw it in there, if its the inner pipe rattling on the outher pipe (usually due to a dent or something) that'll fix it. Of course this only works if your car's got the 2-layer exhaust pipe and that's where the rattle is coming from, but it won't hurt if thats NOT the problem.